Thread: Keeping a log book?

acemisser

Keeping a log book?

Who keeps a log on all their rifles? Like all the different
    loads tried and total numer of shots thru each one?

I for one do.That way I can go back and look up different
    loads,etc..And if I were to trade or sale a rifle I have all
    the exact information on number of loads,etc..

It's also a good way to know when your barrel is starting
    to loose it's accuracy..

Basic Member
    obsess much? I keeed, I keeeed.

I keep log books for some rifles and one pistol but not for every gun. I'm obsessive but not that obsessive. Do you find you have trouble leaving crooked picture frames alone?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I keep full info on each caliber which equates to each rifle / pistol.

If I change a barrel to a different caliber it's noted & the process starts again. Brass, primer, propellant, bullet & how it did on the day it was used. I've looked back 10 to 12 months to look up info. I keep targets, also. Although I sketch a little diagram on how it shot. I use shoot-n-see targets stuck to a 8.5"x11" sheet of paper so I can put it in the binder.

I like to be able to track & trend. You just never know when you might want to look up something from the past & refresh your memory. I find it very helpful. The more accurate & thorough your records, the better you'll be able to make ammo. Neck tension, COL, all that stuff is important & should be recorded if you want to make consistantly accurate ammo.

Now, if you'll excuse me....

I need to wash my hands a few times and

I have an appointment with my OCD support group.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I too keep a log book of all loads tried type of brass o.a.l neck tension ect as well as the come up numbers out to any given range. I don't go as far as keeping track of round counts though. If I know that I have put a bunch of rounds through it over a certain ammount of time and accuracy falls off I know its time to change barrels.

rattfink
    I have kept a logbook of every issued rifle I ever shot. What I shot, distance, wind, temp, what I was wearing etc.

acemisser
    glad to see i am not alone here..but I dont log what I was wearing that day or the color of socks

Basic Member
    Oh come on acemisser! You may be the only person on the face of this earth that doesn't know, the color of your socks is the most important information you should log. Well, maybe not. But, it is a close second to whether you shot right or left handed. Oh wait, that's me.

Basic Member
    Ace if you are going to keep a precise log then what you wear must also fit in because it can make a difference in how you shoot. Short sleeve shirt or insulated coveralls and a heavy coat on top of that will make a big difference in how the butt sits in your shoulder pocket. If like me wearing shorts could blind the other shooters.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I used to keep all my records right on the spread sheet in my computer.Key words "use to" I had a total crash and lost it all 3 days ago, so from now on everything in a notebook and on a flash drive for back-up.
    I would send the hard drive out for attempted recovery but at $2grand I would rather build two more rifles and keep my records in ink.
    I got my computer back a little while ago, cost me my new BR stock to repair it,now I may start thinking about selling a brand new never fired Douglas 308 24" SS Varmint barrel.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 10-24-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

acemisser
    Never gave it much thought,but maybe the color of socks will make a difference
    so from now on that goes in the log as well...I like to keep track of the number
    of shots fired so I will know just how many went thru the barrel and I found that
    sometimes it makes a big difference when you trade..To me if someone said
    oh it's got maybe 50 rounds,I think yeah more like 750 or so...
    I sold one rifle to a fellow one time and he gave me an extra 50 bucks for the
    log book as well..So it could pay off...All it takes is a few minutes to write it down...

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    ACe - that worked out to everyone's benefit -

being able to provide the written info when the rifle was sold. I guess I should keep a seperate book for each caliber instead of jamming them all in one.

Oh.. and uhhhh... It's not the color.
    It's how long you've had them on.
    Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    glad to see i am not alone here..but I dont log what I was wearing that day or the color of socks
    Haha Mr. Smarty pants
    I was talking more in line with equipment ie slick, with body armor, helmet etc

jon8777
    That one deer/bear gun that you shoot 2x a year and never remember if its 2" high at 100y equals 0" at 200 and -8" at 300y or if its zero at 300y and its the nolsers or sierras load was the right one.

Yea I started log books, saves time and ammo. Look up the last 3-5 targets and send 3-5 down range and head home.

Luckus
    I have logged every load I have made since day one, sometime in 1977. All are in 2 binders that I made up. Not til I got into F Class did I have a separate log book.

acemisser
    Do I need to log in the socks with holes in them as well? lol

Yes keeping a log will come in handy. It will have all the loads tested-number of shots,etc

The only thing I do not log is how many time the brass has been loaded..I used to but
    I see no reason for that now..I shoot it until it gives up the ghost..I do log wether it is
    F L S'ed or neck sized.This I find important for match loads...

FUBAR
    I keep notebooks on most and spreadsheets on 3