Thread: 69grn SMK.. back to the dawing board

jon8777

69grn SMK.. back to the dawing board

With a lot of reading and a grain of hope I found a 100 yard 0.217" 3 shot ctc SMK/Varget load.

Took to the range and duplicated (still need to measure) the 10 yard group, went to 200 and shot a 2-2.5" group.

Its a 12FV with 25.6g Varget

thomae
    Is there a reason not to conduct your load development at 200 yards?

seanhagerty
    i would reshoot the 100 yd range several times, with loads from different batches. The trouble I have ran into in the past was not rdoing my reloading process the same way everytime. Brass, brass prep, components, and process all need to be the same every time to get the same results.

Ditto what Sean said, plus don't forget to take into consideration YOUR shooting skills and equipment. Sure a 100 to 200 yard change isn't anything radical, but it can be if you're not used to shooting that far, you have a low-power scope or one with a heavy crosshair, you're shooting from an unsteady rest, etc.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

acemisser
    what caliber you shootin and what twist you got there...When I work up loads,I seldom do more than
    4 of each.Why? I have no idea..I put small dots on paper at 100 yards to shot at...1 inch I beleive
    they are..Shoot a couple fowling rounds and then go for group..Shoot the 3 or 4 and let the barrel
    cool back down and then shoot another at a different dot..etc.etc
    Works for me..If it isn't windy I will shoot the test rounds at 250 yards as that is where I shoot the
    F class match...Good luck

jon8777
    Rem .223 in 1:9

Shooting at 200-400 is a comfortable distance for shooting, I was using my typical off the bench top load development/shooting setup.

Typically I'll shoot a few different loads at 100, pick out 2-3 that work, re-shoot those at 100 yards on the next range trip and then shoot those at 200. Load the best group and go back with that load for the final bench shoot. If that pans out the next range trip out comes the bi pods and prone test the load (95% of the shooting I do). Between range trips I run a clean/just a dab of G-96 on the tip bore snake and shoot 3-6 fouling rounds.

I've never had a group with a light caliber go to pot like this.

M.O.A.
    Have you tried any other bullets like 68gn match hornaday or 70gn bergers? ??

jon8777
    Went back today with a different scope and shot the 25.6grn load. 3 groups of 4 rounds at 100 (1x)and 200 (2x) I am getting 0.48'ish moa for all 3 target distances for the load.

Winds were variable at 7-10mph max, shot when the wind died at my back and was calm half way up to the target. My overall groups size vs. overall group height was consistent.

Should I expect more from this rifle?

M.O.A.
    Well sub 1/2 moa is not bad for a factory gun I believe I would take it. ;-)

acemisser
    what size is the barrel? If it is a standard size factory job,I would say it is shooting decent...

jon8777
    Stock 12FV in 1:9 .223

JCalhoun
    Sounds good to me.