Thread: Barrel/caliber swaps

Salvo

Barrel/caliber swaps

Please straighten me out if I am wrong:

Do the clip-fed versions offer the easiest or most extensive barrel/caliber swap potential?

I'm thinking that a model 16 in .243 Win would need a barrel, bolt head and clip to be converted to .223 Rem, and that this would also apply to one of the short, fat magnums like .270 WSM...

Is this correct, that the clip-fed version will be more flexible for barrel/caliber changes than the blind magazine and hinged floorplate models?

It sounds right to me, but since I am not familiar with Savage centerfire rifles, there may be some limiting factor that I am not aware of.

Please let me know if I have the right idea about this.

Thank you!

Basic Member

Re: Barrel/caliber swaps

I don't think that the detachable magazine models offer any easier interchangeability. You can easily buy fixed or detachable magazines that fits your new cartridge.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Basic Member

Note...fjold calls it correctly as a magazine. (Thanks fjold)

clips are used to feed cartridges into a magazine...ie stripper clips for an AR or AK.
    Integrity is easier to keep than to regain.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sparks1
    Note...fjold calls it correctly as a magazine. (Thanks fjold)

clips are used to feed cartridges into a magazine...ie stripper clips for an AR or AK.
    Unfortunately Savage often refers to their detachable magazines as "clips". I have an old 110CL (Model 110, Clip, Left).
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Salvo

Ah, so! - I was thinking that the blind and hinged magazine models depended upon feed rails machined into the action, thus limiting you to a certain cartridge diameter.

Instead, there are different magazines which can be installed for those models, so going to a different cartridge diameter is not a critical issue there.

Is this correct? - Please excuse my ignorance here, I am not familiar with Savage actions at all.

spaniel

There is an additional restriction regarding the WSMs. Currently, a larger shank barrel (and receiver) is used for the WSMs. So a small-shank action (anything except WSMs) cannot be switched over to a WSM. I am not sure if anyone chambers large shank barrels for the chamberings that are typically offered in the small shank, but certainly you could have this done on a blank (ie chamber a large shank 30 caliber blank intended for 300 WSM to 308 or 300 Win Mag).

My Model 11 is detachable magazine so I can't help you regarding the feed rail issue.

jrmy_1

I don't think there is truly a major issue in using a small shank barrel chambered in WSM or RUM. I believe some of the aftermarket barrels available are small shank WSM and RUM. Then again, I don't know what the barrel calcs would say, just something I've noticed in some other threads.

spaniel

Quote Originally Posted by jrmy_1
    I don't think there is truly a major issue in using a small shank barrel chambered in WSM or RUM. I believe some of the aftermarket barrels available are small shank WSM and RUM. Then again, I don't know what the barrel calcs would say, just something I've noticed in some other threads.
    I was just going by the fact that one of the aftermarket WSM wildcats I was looking at will only offer it on the large shank...

Basic Member

Salvo,

Be it for me to know on this, I just did my first build and will use it as a single shot for a bit until I sort out magazine issues .......... mine is a 7mm Rem Mag to a .25-06 .......

But it's only logical that a detachable magazine would offer you a one click conversion vs. a bunch of other parts changing ........... but that I believe is your question?

Three 44s