Thread: Reinforceing a plastic stock on a 111 w/DBM

rmdailey

Reinforceing a plastic stock on a 111 w/DBM

I got a 111 package in 30-06, took the bushnell scope off, put on a Nikon from another rifle, ordered and installed a rifle basics trigger (no accutrigger on mine). My friend is a better shot than me and will get 1/2 MOA at 100yards, I'll get 1-1/2 MOA, before the trigger. While installing the trigger I noticed my stock is a little flimsy.

Has anyone reinforced the cheap plastic stocks that come with the package guns? I was thinking dremiling a channel and epoxying a aluminum arrow, or steel rod, or small c-channel. The reason I want to do this is I want to install a bi-pod but if it pushes the stock into the barrel it with negatively affect accuracy. And accuracy is everything on this rifle. I will one day get a good laminate stock, but as of now I'm broke and I cant find one that is already made to accept a DBM in long action. Also I like to tinker and learn new things. Any how-to posts, youtube vids out there? My searches have been unproductive.

I am not sure if you need to be a paid member to access them but there has to be at least 20 threads on the subject, some with pictures. Try a search.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I have done it with 3 factory stocks. I used 1/4" all thread and JB Weld (because that's what I had laying around).

I cut out the molded in pieces in the stock so I could lay the all thread from in front of the lug to the swivel stud. I then drilled a series of 1/8" dimples in the stock channel just to give the JB Weld some extra mechanical looking points. After that I proceeded to start laying in the JB Weld then pressed the rod in and finished covering with JB Weld.

I usually let the JB Weld set and harden a little but for this application I prefer it thinned out so it runs into any voids.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Scroll back a week or 4 in the Axis / Edge thread & look for the info I put up on reinforcing the Axis / Edge stock OR...

Pay the membership & there's an article I put together on that very subject. It's so easy a caveman with one arm could do it.
    Need any input / info, PM me or ask on this thread. Lots of guys here with lots of good info.

Good luck with your project.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Try here.... There's some pics to help you along...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-ve-ever-loved!

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

sportrucker
    i bought the 111 trophy hunter nikon package and used a bedding kit on it. Mine is the 300 min mag and at 100 yards i keep 1" groups pretty regular with 180gr hornaday superformance ammo. My barrel doesnt touch the stock worse case get some sandpaper and take some stock off!