Thread: new savage

moonshinedoc

new savage

I'm new here and have a question about my new gun. My wife got me a model 111 GCNS 30-06 for Christmas and now looking for scope along with rings and base to complete the package. I have several question concerning the base and rings....mainly which ones and what model numbers? I had been looking at the bases and have been considering the quick release, antone have these or should I go with the two or one piece base. Still haven't decided on what scope so the ring hieght is still in the air. Thanks for all the opinions!

358Hammer

Re: new savage

Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of rings and bases to choose from. SInce I went ultra-light I really like my picatinny base and rings made by TPS. Light strong and no movement good price as well.

Weaver #46 should get the job done as well depending on your personal needs of course.

Neal

Burris also makes 2 piece bases and good rings in either the signature or xtr both are very good and I have both types on my savages.
    Personally I like the xtr better and slowly but surely will be converting over to the xtr rings.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

moonshinedoc

Thanks for the info.! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions and it is much appreciated.

Watch your scope length and ring spacing. 2 piece bases are not partial to short tube scopes
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

Burris also makes 2 piece bases and good rings in either the signature or xtr both are very good and I have both types on my savages.
    Personally I like the xtr better and slowly but surely will be converting over to the xtr rings.
    +1 on the Burris Signature Zee rings. Since trying a set, I will never use anything else for a Weaver style mount. Midway has them on sale through the end of the month.

Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

Basic Member

I really like the Burris Zs for Weaver style rings. For bases, I use Weavers. If the rifle is the new round rear receiver, the book calls for two #46 bases. However, I have found that to avoid having to use extended rings I can use an extended front base #402 and the shorter scopes will fit fine with regular rings.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.