Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage Model 11 Lightweight in 243 Winchester ?

bcraig

250 savage is a nice round but I am definetly going 243 Winchester.
    I like the performance and factory ammo offerings as I choose not to reload anymore.
    I definetly am interested in hearing more about the Savage Lightweight 243 and also the Savage Lightweight Verses the Kimber Montana.
    Thanks
    Craig
    PS anyone know where I might Pickup a used Montana 243 or a used Savage Lightweight 243 ?

N8Will
    Im thinking finding one used will be tough. Ive been looking for a couple months and havent seen one. I watch gunbroker everyday not one used one yet. I just cant decide between the 243 or the 6.5 creed.

bcraig
    Yes that is true but when deer season is over for most people then There will be several available and at decent prices as well !
    Yes the 6.5 is nice as well !
    Craig

N8Will
    I hope so. Im looking to try and build one and see how close I can get to the weight.. l just realy like the look of the LWH.

N8Will
    To jump in on the 250 or 243, I own both hunt with 243 and just love the 250. Just have to say you get a little advantage with the 24 call bullets the higher B C gives it an edge.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by N8Will View Post
    I hope so. Im looking to try and build one and see how close I can get to the weight.. l just realy like the look of the LWH.
    The closest I could ever get with a standard Savage SA was 6.5 lbs. That was with a skeletonized buttstock/shortened forend Boyd's thumbhole laminated stock (2lbs, 5 oz) and custom 22" featherweight barrel (2 lbs, 1oz). From my experience, you'll be hard pressed to get to the weight (5.5 lbs) and compactness of the Savage 11/111 LWH using a standard Savage action. My recommendation is to get the Savage 11 LWH in 6.5 Creed. if you don't reload, or 260 if you reload. Hornday has expanded their selection of factory ammo for the 6.5 Creed. Go with the 260 if you reload and load down to match performance recoil of the 243 or up to match performance of the 7mm-08 and 308 using the wide selection of high BC 6.5mm bullets. Based on my experinces, you'll save time and money by just starting with the Savage 11 LWH. It is light, compact and makes the perfect truck or stand rifle. Hopefully an aftermarket stock for the Savage LWH will be offered in the not too distant future.
    Last edited by jpdown; 10-29-2012 at 12:59 PM.

N8Will
    I do reload so I will look into the 260. My buddy has been trying to talk me into a 260 AI for awhile know this just might be the one. I think that would be one great mountain gun. Did Savage change the action of the LW?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    whats a good al around twist for the 243 if there is such a thing as a good around twist...
    Savage uses a 9.25 if I am not mistaken. That will easily handle the 105gr and below. Going with a slower twist might cause you problems with the heavier bullets. That is basically what condemned the 6mm remington. They chose a slower twist (can't recall what it was) for the 85-87gr loads, and when hunters used the 100gr loads the rifles were inaccurate. That plus, my understand was they didn't offer it in the 700 and the rifle it came is was substandard. Marketing is everything.

Power wise the 6mm has a bit of an edge on the 243, and chambered in good rifles with proper twist will out do the 243.

As for the LW action, yes savage trimmed some metal off the sides, I think you can see it in close up pics. If I am not mistaken, it's a 20" barrel, but don't quote me on that, best to look at the web site to be sure.

Team Savage
    I have a Savage 11 LWH in 260. Besides metal being remove from the action and bolt body, it also has a 20" featherweight barrel that tapers to 0.540" at the muzzle. My guess is the barrel weight is slightly under 2 lbs verses 2 lbs 6 oz for a 22" Savage sporter barrel. To reduce weight (approximately 8 oz) verses a metal DBM assembly, Savage uses a plastic DBM frame, bottom cap and trigger guard with front bolt release. The LWH walnut stock is trimmer and shorter (30" stock; 13.5" pull length; 1" recoil pad ) verses than the standard Savage 14 American classic stock. It has vent slots cut into the underside of the forend for additional weight reduction and to aid barrel cooling.

As you can see from numbers below, the Savage LWH in 260 with a 20" 1:8 twist barrel is a very effective compact hunting rifle. I use a max load of H4350 powder; 130 gr Bergers; Lapua brass; Wolf LR primers. Groups are very consistant, 0.75" @100 yrds and sub MOA out to my comfort zone of 300 yds. Total rifle weight is 7.0 lbs with scope and sling. Recoil is 15.4 ft-lbs with this load.

0 yrd; 2913 MV; 2450 E
    300 yd; 2423 V; 1695 E
    600 yd; 1983 V; 1135 E

If on a limited budget, I would look at the Savage 11 Trophy Hunter. Savage uses the same LW plastic DBM assembly and trigger guard used in the Savage LWH. Sell the cheap package scope and tupperware stock as new take-offs and use the funds to purchase a discounted walnut Savage 14 classic stock (Numrich Gun Parts). The plastic DBM assembly and trigger guard used in the Savage 11 Trophy Hunter will also fit in this and other Savage SA CF stocks with the DBM cutout.
    Last edited by jpdown; 10-30-2012 at 12:45 PM.

BeatCJ
    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    That is basically what condemned the 6mm remington. They chose a slower twist (can't recall what it was) for the 85-87gr loads, and when hunters used the 100gr loads the rifles were inaccurate. That plus, my understand was they didn't offer it in the 700 and the rifle it came is was substandard. Marketing is everything.

Power wise the 6mm has a bit of an edge on the 243, and chambered in good rifles with proper twist will out do the 243.
    1 in 12" was the original 6mm Remington twist.

Bigfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    ...If on a limited budget, I would look at the Savage 11 Trophy Hunter. Savage uses the same LW plastic DBM assembly and trigger guard used in the Savage LWH. Sell the cheap package scope and tupperware stock as new take-offs and use the funds to purchase a discounted walnut Savage 14 classic stock (Numrich Gun Parts). The plastic DBM assembly and trigger guard used in the Savage 11 Trophy Hunter will also fit in this and other Savage SA CF stocks with the DBM cutout.
    This is the route I took. It's a 260. If I can sell the Nikon scope for $100 I'll have the rifle for $340, can't beat that.

I replaced the Nikon scope with a Leupold VXll 3-9x33 Ultralight, Lightweight Talley mounts and a light sling. So far the weight is just under 7 lbs. 3 oz. Got the Accutrigger down to 2 lbs.

Jpdown, How much does the Savage 14 classic stock weigh?
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 11-04-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Basic Member
    I have a M10 in .243 I got for Antelope but, this year I used it for deer and shot a nice Muley at 150 yds. with Hornady 100 gr. Custom Interbond ammo. It moved 3 feet (straight down). Good gun. Very effective.

Team Savage
    The Savage 14 American Classic stock weights about 2 lbs 5 oz stripped. You can shave off another 3 oz by carefully hollowing out the buttstock with a wood bit. Make sure the bit is sharp and go slow to avoid splitting the wood.

helotaxi
    You can also skeletonize the forearm a good bit, but no matter what you do to it, it's still going to be rather heavy. Wood stocks are funny that way.

rgburrill
    Holy crap. I found out why the people pushing Kimber here aren't giving the price. Ableammo is showing almost $1200 for the Montana

helotaxi
    Yep. They're mighty proud of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12