Thread: Rusty chamber in a 100

Basic Member

Rusty chamber in a 100

What do you folks use to clean up a rusty chamber. A friend of mine brought her fiancee's Savage 270 to me for healing. It was fine last year, but now it will not eject fired brass without thumping the bolt handle. The fired brass shows roughness from rust/pitting. I am planning to try Flitz on a 50 cal bore mop today. Will a bronze brush with Flitz be too rough? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Leon

edited to say model 110
    Last edited by LHitchcox; 11-04-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Typo

Gmac5
    Have it borescoped to see how extensive the damage is . You should be very careful with not only rust in the chamber,but a rusty bore could boost pressures . Even if you get the chamber clean enough to extract is it gonna be worth the effort if its bore is no good ?

Basic Member
    Good point. I do not have a bore scope. The best I can do is run a cleaning patch down it and look for rust. I have seen several guns with a rusty chamber that still had good bores. Lots of folks use the correct jag/brush on the bore, but overlook the chamber. I hope that is the case here. If not, Jim Briggs has factory new barrels for $85.

Gmac5
    Try using 4 0 steel wool wrapped around a old brush , use oil ,or flitz . It should remove it. The steel wool will not hurt the chamber try keeping it outta the neck , throat area

MrMajestic
    Kroil will help remove rust if it's not pitted. Maybe a bore mop with Kroil on a slow speed drill motor. I've heard of smoothing up rough revolver chambers with Flitz on a fired(in that gun) cartridge using a low speed drill motor.