Thread: Todays coyotes

Basic Member

Todays coyotes

Up at 530, set up above the dead cow pile at 6am at a ranch who called and said, you need to come down & shoot them, they are all over again.
    Same spot we took out 13 of last year.
    I started with a low greeting barks for a few min & got an answer from the cattle corrals. Its turning light and I can see good, but this rascal was below me and I was busted before I saw it. It trotted of to my left and I shot it on the trot, it drops on the spot.
    I keep calling with greeting barks and field mice and started to get up on my knees and see movement at 400 yards to my left and also find out the one I shot is now on the other side of the bottom land dragging its self up the hill, its hind ends are not moving at all.
    The other one coming in does not see it as it hits the crest...Im bummed a bit, but it wont last the day.
    The other one now is at about 180 yds and just about to hit a low spot, I bark and it stops and sits there facing me, I drop it with a centered chest shot, DRT. Its now 730 am with 2 shot.
    Im now getting up and see a pair at 800 yards out in the same bottom land the last one came out of & they are trotting up the fenceline out there, they hear the foxpro greeting barks and stop for a bit and bark back then they crest over and never make it my way.
    I hike up the other side about 1100 yds and see them about 1/2 mile off in the sun laying on a low hill.
    Its wide open and I cant make a stalk no matter what so I move on.
    I move 3/4 mile up the road where there are those giant phone line towers. I walk under them for about 2/3 mile where we have shot 6 out of last year looking over free range & planted fields.
    I see a big one out there mousing and I low walk to a tower base and its still 400 yards out. I make mouse calls, greeting barks, titmouse....its not having any of me and just walks off into a low drainage area.
    I see it pop up out of it and its standing on the 2 track ranch road under the towers at least 600 yards which is 2 towers away from me.
    I scope it and think "man its just a giant of a coyote, I have to take it"
    I figure 500 yards at least as its on this side on the tower, I dial my 27 yr old BSA platnum target scope 1 7/8s full turns up to my 500 yard setting from the range time.
    I put the target dot just to the outside of its chest standing broadside to me so Im holding very left due to a slight breeze coming from my left to right and let the 65g vmax from my 6x45 fly. I hear it hit and it drops on the spot, gets up spins 2x biting at its back side and drops for good.
    I used the rangfinder & range it in sections and added up comes to 591 yards. Im happy as a lark, longest range Ive ever taken & dropped a coyote, since I dont do it much as I like them closer than 200 yards for a nice shot.
    The bullet hit it just in front of the hind quarters and just below its spine taking it out. My elevation/hold for windage was perfect!
    These were nice & heavy females at 28 lbs and the big one at 38lbs, biggest female Ive ever shot, they are feeding on corn, dead cow piles, mice/13 stripped ground rats.
    Th rest of the day was a bust, saw 8 total today.
    I did get another ranch of 8500 acres also.
    As usual Im long winded with stories.

358Hammer
    Way to go.
    Great story and thank you for sharing.

Neal

Nice job. Sounds like a great morning

Basic Member
    kill 'em all.........
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

FUBAR
    Great hunting/shooting!

Makes me envious, before I was wounded varmint hunting was one of my favorite things to do.

I have tried to find a local place to hunt varmints to no avail, and we have plenty here in the Texas Hill Country. It's also the land of the 12' fence, and exotics, so I have not found a land owner that will let me hunt.

Of course I'm in a wheelchair and people are afraid of liability I guess.

There are places I can hunt, but they are hours away and that's beyond my capability without help, I would love to go out and hunt at will.

I have all the time in the world, so I'm still looking and will never give up...

Enjoy the hunt