Thread: Pretty impressed for the money!

Shoot-N-Nut

Pretty impressed for the money!

So my son decided he wanted a new .308 for deer season but he was on a budget, like most people now a days! So he bought a new Axis last week in .308, he took it out to do a little shooting the other day and came home telling me how well it shot. Well I got a chance to shoot it today and I got to say for what he paid for it its a pretty darn good rifle. Using factory Federal ammo I was shooting 100yrd groups about 1" to 1.5". He put an older scope I had laying around on it (it was the only one I had that would fit the mounts). He wants to put a different scope on it but the better scopes I have laying around wont fit between the rings on this rifle (rings are to far apart). I havent messed with any of these rifles yet, So before I start looking for extention rings is there a one piece base for these actions so I can get the rings a little closer?

Basic Member
    this is what i used and it works great for me. gives you plenty of room to mount your scope and move forward or rearward to get the eye relief you want!
    http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage...l-scope-mount/

Basic Member
    I just ordered the EGW Axis rail...cheapest place I found it was JoeBob's...it was $38 something shipped. I'm a fan of EGW since they are local for me...I just don't want to pay full MSRP and sales tax on top of it to buy from them direct.

Shoot-N-Nut
    Thanks guys, I got one on the way!

osageinmt
    "Pretty impressed for the money! " Yep me too. . I got a Axis in .243 back in Aug. Had it to the range 6-8 times and was thrilled with how it shot. Tight groups, and pleasent to shoot even several boxes at a time. Did not take long to go thru 4 boxes of factory ammo, once I started to roll my own the accuracy just amazed me.

I took it out today on the 2nd day of general big game season here in MT, did not really plan to take a deer, but in the end I did. Slipped in to about 200-225 yds with a belly crawl on 2 small mule deer bucks and 7 does, I caught the bucks lying down, that's a first for me. Shot him in the neck with 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over 41.5 grs of H4350, he flopped over dead, never even twitched.
    I have been hunting here in MT for 30+ years most of the time with a .338 Win Mag, I have the .338 up for sale as I type this, Axis killed him every bit a clean as the Mod 70.338 ever killed anything.
    Anyway I'm a believer now, you don't have to drop a ton of money to get a decent shooting rifle.

My friend just got back from hunting his lease over the weekend--he's been hunting forever successfully southeastern whitetails with a rem 243 but this weekend he sent one into a doe and he swears he got a good shot in the vitals--but off she went leaving no blood trail and he couldn't find her. Might want to reconsider giving up on that bigger bullet.

Gmac5
    The axis sure is a lot of gun for the money. I hope savage wont due what remington did with the 788 that was outshooting the 700 s . I have a feeling that the stevens 200 will be phased out and other models of axis with factory accutriggers and or heavy barrels will be offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
    The axis sure is a lot of gun for the money. I hope savage wont due what remington did with the 788 that was outshooting the 700 s . I have a feeling that the stevens 200 will be phased out and other models of axis with factory accutriggers and or heavy barrels will be offered.
    The Axis isn't so much a pig with lipstick as it's a queen with mud slopped all over it. : )

Shoot-N-Nut
    Yea the old 788's were great shooters, I owned a few of them years ago. Their biggest down fall was the bolt design. I had two that the bolt handles broke off, luckily back then Remington still had the parts to fix them.

dacaur
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    My friend just got back from hunting his lease over the weekend--he's been hunting forever successfully southeastern whitetails with a rem 243 but this weekend he sent one into a doe and he swears he got a good shot in the vitals--but off she went leaving no blood trail and he couldn't find her. Might want to reconsider giving up on that bigger bullet.
    Right because there has never been a deer that ran off after being shot with a 300 win mag.

"forever" hunting successfully with a .243, and now one missed deer means the caliber is too small.... ??

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    Right because there has never been a deer that ran off after being shot with a 300 win mag.

"forever" hunting successfully with a .243, and now one missed deer means the caliber is too small.... ??
    He's been a big proponent of 243 as long as I've known him and he's a good shot. He wants to up-caliber to make sure he has more options.

uswaldronz
    Yeah, I like mine too!

Traded an old SKS for the Axis in .308 and was very happy with the swap. It ran a couple of 1.75" groups for a start. I did some work to the trigger and reset the action to the stock and came up with this:

@ 100 yards using XM118LR ammo.

I'm a happy camper!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uswaldronz View Post
    Yeah, I like mine too!

Traded an old SKS for the Axis in .308 and was very happy with the swap. It ran a couple of 1.75" groups for a start. I did some work to the trigger and reset the action to the stock and came up with this:

@ 100 yards using XM118LR ammo.

I'm a happy camper!
    You get the bargain on midway with those caldwell shoot N C's?

Nice shootin btw.

uswaldronz
    Thanks, I am happy with my Axis. I am going to try it at about 300 yards tomorrow along with my 10FP and see how they perform. If I can get less than 2" groups with them both I will be really happy. I have my ballistics of the XM118LR ammo printed out so it will be interesting to see how close I can get first shot!

Yes, I got them from Midway on sale. It's the first time I have purchased them but a buddy has had them a while and we have been using them for 6 months or so now. Nice and bright.