Thread: Boyd's stocks? DYI upgrade?

snakedoc257

Boyd's stocks? DYI upgrade?

I want a new stock for my .308 hog hunter. I'd like to stay around a hundred and am trying to decide between a boyds or a hogue. Looking at the prairie hunter.

Opinions on the Boyd's? Is this just a disassemble and reassemble modification?

Thanks in advance.

thomae
    Boyd's stocks have a rubber shoulder pad. You might wish to replace with a better aftermarket pad. Also, you might wish to install pillars and bed. Other than that they are basically drop in.
    Boyd's stocks also have reinforcing crossbolts installed.
    Never used a Hogue.

Basic Member
    can't go wrong with the Boyds' stocks. price, looks and easy drop-in fit. i like them.

I like my Boyd's stocks alot also. Fit me very good.

kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by snakedoc257 View Post
    I want a new stock for my .308 hog hunter. I'd like to stay around a hundred and am trying to decide between a boyds or a hogue. Looking at the prairie hunter.

Opinions on the Boyd's? Is this just a disassemble and reassemble modification?

Thanks in advance.
    I just did this (Boyd Prairie Hunter) with my 116. The stock was definitely drop in - needing only a very small bit of hand sanding at the rear of the mag well (I suspect this was only because I had a magnum magazine).

As it turned out I spent a lot more time on mine, but that was purely an exercise in finish - I wanted to learn something about stock finishing and used this as an opportunity to experiment. It could have been ready to go in ten minutes the first day.

My barrel free floated and was evenly spaced all around. The bottom metal fit perfectly. As mentioned the recoil pad was entirely inadequate, but no more so than the stock Savage pad.

I have at this point left the pillar bedding stuff as an optional exercise for the future, to be done incrementally. It is not necessary to field accuracy. The rifle is sub-MOA in this stock as it was in the OEM plastic.

I was also considering the Hogue stock, but availability and the stories I've heard about painful cheek weld put me off. I do have an Overmolded stock on my 870 that I like very much, though.

KeS

rc109a
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
    I just did this (Boyd Prairie Hunter) with my 116. The stock was definitely drop in - needing only a very small bit of hand sanding at the rear of the mag well (I suspect this was only because I had a magnum magazine).

As it turned out I spent a lot more time on mine, but that was purely an exercise in finish - I wanted to learn something about stock finishing and used this as an opportunity to experiment. It could have been ready to go in ten minutes the first day.

My barrel free floated and was evenly spaced all around. The bottom metal fit perfectly. As mentioned the recoil pad was entirely inadequate, but no more so than the stock Savage pad.

I have at this point left the pillar bedding stuff as an optional exercise for the future, to be done incrementally. It is not necessary to field accuracy. The rifle is sub-MOA in this stock as it was in the OEM plastic.

I was also considering the Hogue stock, but availability and the stories I've heard about painful cheek weld put me off. I do have an Overmolded stock on my 870 that I like very much, though.

KeS
    Did you modify it or is yours a blind mag?

kevin_stevens
    Mine is blind.

KeS

snakedoc257
    Thanks for the response. According to Boyds site their Classic and Prairie Hunt will not accommodate a bull barrel. The only stocks they have that will work are the thumb hole designs. I do like the thumb hole stocks, but not leaning that way for this rifle. Looks like I'm back looking for a stock again.

Here is how the rifle looks now.

kevin_stevens
    I have a magnum barrel and it didn't require any enlarging to free-float in a Prairie Hunter, fyi.

KeS

snakedoc257
    Interesting, I wonder if this "medium contour barrel" as Savage calls it is close in diameter to a magnum barrel? I like the Prairie Hunter.

Basic Member
    Interesting, I wonder if this "medium contour barrel" as Savage calls it is close in diameter to a magnum barrel? I like the Prairie Hunter.
    you can always call them and ask, i have talked to them before and they seemed very nice! they will be able to answer your question or get back with the correct answer. you can only try.

kevin_stevens
    For a long action in a Prairie Hunter, the stock fore-end extends 8 3/4" from the front (muzzle end) of the small shank barrel nut. At that point my barrel diameter is 18.7mm. The diameter at the front of the barrel nut is 25.9mm. The barrel free floats all the way back to that end of the barrel nut. There appears to be at least 3/32" of clearance on each side of the barrel that could be taken off the stock rails without incident if necessary. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need pics.

KeS
    Last edited by kevin_stevens; 10-23-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the response. According to Boyds site their Classic and Prairie Hunt will not accommodate a bull barrel. The only stocks they have that will work are the thumb hole designs. I do like the thumb hole stocks, but not leaning that way for this rifle. Looks like I'm back looking for a stock again.

Here is how the rifle looks now.

Savage says it's a medium contour barrel-not a bull barrel- on the hog hunter.
    You'll never find a true "bull" barrel on a hunting stick.
    A "bull" barrel is the same diameter at the muzzle as it is at the shank.
    Next is "varmint" contour- .85 at the muzzle.

And I have a Boyd's on another make of action, not a Savage...and it was anything BUT a "drop-in" fit... inletting was way off, I spent three hours fixing it.

Check, most of their stocks say "semi-inletted"...and they mean it.
    Last edited by tobnpr; 10-24-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Savage says it's a medium contour barrel-not a bull barrel- on the hog hunter.
    You'll never find a true "bull" barrel on a hunting stick.
    A "bull" barrel is the same diameter at the muzzle as it is at the shank.
    Next is "varmint" contour- .85 at the muzzle.

And I have a Boyd's on another make of action, not a Savage...and it was anything BUT a "drop-in" fit... inletting was way off, I spent three hours fixing it.

Check, most of their stocks say "semi-inletted"...and they mean it.
    you must have got the "bad one", i have 2 and they did "drop right in". i like Boyds' and will continue to buy from them. i'm waiting for them to bring out the Classic model in varmint barrel. i'll grab one of those as soon as they come out.
    looks good, good fit and price!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogandboy View Post
    f i'm waiting for them to bring out the Classic model in varmint barrel. i'll grab one of those as soon as they come out.
    I just sent them an email asking if they could do that. seems simple enough, just eliminate one cutting step on the forearm grooves.
    Maybe if enough of us asked, they would start.

Basic Member
    I have a Savage factory 26" fluted SS varmint barrel in the Boyds classic stock (formerly known as the JRS Classic)

It did not require a lot of work to open up the barrel channel to fit this barrel

Basic Member
    Probably what I'll have to do. would like a little more meat there tho.

Basic Member
    According to a reply I got from Boyds, they are going to have a non thumbhole varmint barrel stock out in 2013. I just may wait and not modify the one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by semtav View Post
    According to a reply I got from Boyds, they are going to have a non thumbhole varmint barrel stock out in 2013. I just may wait and not modify the one I have.
    Sweet!!

Basic Member
    I have 4 Boyds stocks and they all have been drop in.... I have had to clean up the barrel channel a bit but that has been it. I love the look and they function quite well especially if you bed them. I will continue use them for most of my rebuilds. I just got one in all walnut for my son's 25-06 110 centerfeed. It dropped right in with NO work and fits like a glove. Such an improvement over the plastic one that it came with.

czech69
    Just installed a Boyds Varmit Thumbhole on my savage 10 FP 26" bull. Dropped in perfectly, absolutely gorgeous. Also ordered Boyds new action screws as wood lengths are different than plastic stock lengths. Went together perfectly.
    I would advise going to stockystocks.com website and read all their info on different savage barrel sizes and installation tips and then purchase from Boyds. Boyds is half the price. Quality is the same, maybe not as many color options. This is my 2nd Boyds thumbhole install. 223 and 308.