Thread: 223 wssm - Need a little info.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

223 wssm - Need a little info.

I just picked up a 223 wssm barrel from another member here & was wondering if anyone else was using this caliber. What powder do y'all prefer? Maybe I should be asking what powder does the barrel / cartridge prefer?

I'm assuming that since it's a magnum & since it's a fat case with a small neck (like my mother-in-law) & since I like to use the "minimum 80% case fill / slowest propellant available" rule, I thought I'd start with some IMR4350 & 55gr Noslers. Also, that's what I had alot of....

What powder are any of y'all using for this one? I'm just looking for a good start point.

Thanks-

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    760 is a brilliant performer in all 3 of the factory WSSMs. You _might_ get good to great results out of Supreme 780, too, if you shoot the heavies. I don't think I'd try 780 with anything lighter than about a 60 - 69, though.

I traded away my 223 WSSM barrel, so don't have load info/data any more. Still run 760 in my 25WSSM Browning. Re-17 also really screams in the WSSMs, but I'd say the majority of us get somewhat better grouping with 760. 4350 is another good choice.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I'm obliged to you for the info. I'm not real familiar with these small bullets & funny looking cases. I'm told they're incredibly accurate & amazingly fast, with the right combination of propellant, primer & bullet.
    Someone else I know mentioned 760 as a good place to start. Just what I need. Yet another powder in the cabinet. But, what the heck..... A man's gotta do whatta man's gotta do.
    All I have is my trusty 'ol Lyman book to rely on for info & a few websites where folks post their input on different calibers.

I do appreciate your input.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!