Thread: First

Biggred191

Red face First

Hi all,

A few months ago I made it clear to my father that I wanted to go hunting. He hadn't been in years and he had never been deer hunting. He had gone after waterfowl in his younger days. He has family on the eastern shore who he had contacted about going on a hunt. After speaking with them, they were happy to help. We both new this was going to be something we would be interested in for some time, so we decided we would make the effort to get all the essentials and because my father has farm land near his extended family, we would be able to go it alone (with much appreciated information coming from family and friends of my fathers who hunt throughout the process.).

We began to look at rifles and I had no idea what I needed/wanted. We were recommended to the .308 caliber and after some reading, I couldn't argue with it. It seemed to fit out needs. We went to the various sporting goods stores around us and held some rifles and looked at pricing. We were open to getting a used rifle, so we went to a gun show (got to love VA). That was extremely helpful, as I had never handled rifles aside from my grandfathers .22's. I was able to get the feel of what was comfortable and for the various models out there. We had been recommended to the Savage's and after the various stores and gun show the price could not be beat. We took some time in deciding a rifle, but i was always interested in the Savage...Model 11 to be exact. I never heard a bad thing about them and "most accurate out of the box", "high quality", and "best for the money" kept ringing in my head. I put my foot down and said we have to get that one . Proud owners of a .308 Model 11 Hunter XP package.

Step one complete. We then focused on getting licensed with constant reading of rules and regulations, so many. We passed the HunterED course (which i found very informative). We were then eligible for the classroom. It got to be later September, but we were able to sneak into one in Maryland for the first week of October and not too far from us. The class went great and I got to shoot my first clay pigeons . I'm not sure how hunters feel about the whole course, but I really like it. Like I said, it was packed with information and as a first time hunter/shooter, it was calming to see other first timers, older and younger.

All that time though I was going to the range (and popping off some shots at the house...legal). I had never experienced a high powered rifle and it definitely took some getting used to. My father had shot guns in the past and in the Military, so I was fortunate enough to have some guidance. Each time I went to shoot I felt more comfortable and more confident in my shots. I like to think I took the process seriously. Shooting a target is one thing, but I new the end result of this was downing a live animal. I did not want to miss and I sure as hell did not want to take a bad shot, resulting in suffering...that would kill me (no pun intended). I new I needed to be comfortable with the rifle and I found myself holding it, looking through the scope and going through the motions of responsible gun safety/care. I even found myself mentally preparing for the "shot" on an animal. Funny or not, I needed it and it helped me. Like I said, I took it seriously. I have a lot of respect for nature and all the plants and animals in it and I do not take killing lightly (I like to refer to it so gruesomely to myself to keep me grounded...undercover earth child? lol). Aside from that, I knew "hunting" was for the whole experience. My dad and I are avid fishermen and even when we come up empty, I can always appreciate the adventure.

Countdown to November 24. My pops came home from work and we took off for my grandmothers house in Maryland, which is conveniently a 10 minute drive to our hunting grounds on the farm. We get up around 4 a.m., which ended up to be unnecessary because getting ready and getting out there went smoothly. 6:24 a.m. and the season is officially open. Still a bit too dark though. Shortly after we hear a shot. "Congratulations". The next hour we hear about seven more shots and a couple behind us from the adjacent property. We new they were out there. 7:20 and all of a sudden a buck comes trotting out of the woods ahead of us to our left. I immediately think he's not stopping on his way through as he trots and stops, trots and stops, until he comes to a patch of soybeans that hadn't been cleared (a thank you to the farmer tenant). I made the decision to get on him halfway across the field. I didn't know how much movement was too much so I took my time (getting my hands out of my pockets and keeping quiet what seemed like velcro scrapping noise coming from everywhere! lol). Rifle is up and safety is off just as he gets to the patch of beans and with a good shot presented to me. He was slightly quartered towards us about 50 yards away. 7:21 a.m. A couple of calming breaths, he looks down, I pull the trigger. I knew I hit him. As I look up, his hind goes out from under him and his head looks up to run one last time then he's down. I don't think I had time to get "buck fever", but I must admit I was so proud of myself for making a clean kill (feelings, blah blah blah). We wait about 20 to 30 minutes, during which time I was recovering from the rush of adrenaline and that weird shiver, yawning crap lol.

He's got a little rack, but he was a good sized deer. A hunter from the adjacent property mentioned his good size as if realizing how big he was compared to his antlers. I got the same reaction from the butcher. He weighed 110lbs after being dressed out. Regardless i'm proud.

Both of us were thrilled about the success that morning. We field dressed him and took him to the butcher. After a victory breakfast in the nearby town we went back to my grandmothers and rested up for some time in the stand that evening.

We get back to the stand at around 3:00. We continue to hear shots, so there must have been a lot of happy hunters. 4:00 comes around and we knew we didn't have but a half hour. Suddenly I spot a small doe to our left. Neither of us had a shot, but it was my Pops' turn anyway. We wait a few minutes as two more show up, including a good size doe and the largest of the three. The bigger one was very alert and took her time making her way further into the field. We stay still and quiet. She moves into a good position about 5 yards away from the buck earlier and turned to face about the same way. My dad fires. I'm looking through the binos and see the hit. A little further back, but a good hit. She jumps up and takes off into the woods, but not before I notice a large pump of blood leave her. My dad gives a "G-******", because he doesn't want to drag her out of the woods, but I assure him she didn't go far. We wait about 20 minutes, as its going to get too dark soon. We find the blood trail and not 20 yards into the woods my dad finds her. He cleans her up and we're off to the butchers again. Real nice guy.

I don't believe the picture does her justice. She was nice sized, healthy looking doe. She weighed 67 lbs after being dressed out. BTW my father was using a Western Field in .308 his cousin was nice enough to lend him. Its got an old Simmons Buckmaster on it. The rifle came from Bloomingdale's about forty years ago and is in great condition. Some wear, but all around solid.

What a great experience. I find deer such a weird, hormonal, but fascinating animal and seeing them moving around and then being up close was just great. Even though we knocked them off this earth, I felt closer to those animals afterwards. We both put good shots on these deer and did it the right way with respect. Going through the whole process as two first timers preparing to go hunting with my father was great. We picked out the rifle, went to the class, learned about deer and hunting, put the stand together and harvested our first deer(s) together. All of our efforts and planning culminated yesterday into a complete success.

Edit: Sorry for the lame thread title. I forgot to change/finish it.
    Last edited by Biggred191; 11-25-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Long, but interesting good story. I am glad you and your dad had a great hunt!

Dennis

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

I look forward each year to spending time with my dad while hunting. I hope my kids will feel the same someday.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    good story man and congrats! You guys both did it the right way and it paid off for you both. Something i'm sure you will never forget.

Great story! Reminds me of hunts with my dad years ago. A two-fer is always a good day! Enjoy the venison!

Basic Member
    Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Nothing beats the time you get to spend with family in the pursuit of a hunting experience.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.