Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McGowen Precision Barrels

Basic Member

Are cut rifling barrels available yet? Any updates on when cut rifling barrels will be available? I don't see anything about them on the McGowen website.

jsthntn247, YES, I do shoot at paloalto. www.paloaltogunclub.com

And You?

Onewolf, Cut rifling barrels will be available in the near future, probably 2 to 3 months. Machines are being set up.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-07-2013 at 09:34 PM.

3. 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM
    Reason
    Rule Violation - Advertiser solicitation outside of dedicated vendor board.

The McGowen Outlet, sister company of McGowan Barrels will be live starting tommorow.

The McGowen Outlet, sister company of McGowan Barrels will be live starting tommorow.

I would go into detail, but the website details everything. Too much to discuss.

There will be a dedicated Forum Section just for McGowen.

Quote Originally Posted by joghotrod View Post
    Hey Dennis,

Where are the pictures? I know you went out and got a high score the other day!

You have my new 6BR barrel, did the barrel nut show up yet? I can't wait to get that thing together so I can shoot it.

Will be home in a week.

Jimmy
    Jimmy, everything is here, the recoil lug should be here Monday. I want to put the heavy duty one on for you. Other than the lug, you should be shooting the gun very soon!

Dennis

Stop foolin around and open that site already.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

LOL, We had to make sure it was all in place and working. Several of us worked very hard on it.

We all believe it's was worth our while! Give it a few more hours and I think you will agree.

Tic Toc Baby.

Break a leg.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

joghotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Jimmy, everything is here, the recoil lug should be here Monday. I want to put the heavy duty one on for you. Other than the lug, you should be shooting the gun very soon!

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis,

I will be leaving Vegas tomorrow and should be home late Monday or Tuesday.

I wanted to leave today (Friday), but the wife vetoed that, plus it rained. I didn't think it ever rained here.lol

Jimmy

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    LOL, We had to make sure it was all in place and working. Several of us worked very hard on it.

We all believe it's was worth our while! Give it a few more hours and I think you will agree.
    Link?

Getting ready to go live, meeting as we speak.

Dennis

Your killin me.

Dean

WERE LIVE . . . . We just turned the switch on!

http://www.mcgowenoutlet.com

The Forum link is on the website, all links tested OK

Dennis

Basic Member
    Looks Good!

It looks like a 24" 6.5mm barrel requires "full custom"?

Onewolf, Fill out the order under "Semi Custom" and put a note in Bold Caps that you want a 24" barrel. That should be all it takes.

Contact me if necessary,

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-08-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Update

Basic Member
    The contoured barrel weight estimation utility/tool page is interesting. One enhancement would be the ability to select one of the standard contours offered by McGowen and then make adjustments JUST for the 'variable' fields like barrel length.

For instance I am interested in a 24" barrel Shilen contour #7LV. What measurement value would I put in for field 'C' (Contoured end diameter)?

Clndesl
    Do you thread and install muzzle brakes.

Onewolf, we have found it would make very little difference on the estimation. I will pass the suggestion on to the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    The contoured barrel weight estimation utility/tool page is interesting. One enhancement would be the ability to select one of the standard contours offered by McGowen and then make adjustments JUST for the 'variable' fields like barrel length.

For instance I am interested in a 24" barrel Shilen contour #7LV. What measurement value would I put in for field 'C' (Contoured end diameter)?

Quote Originally Posted by Clndesl View Post
    Do you thread and install muzzle brakes.
    Yes we do, you would order the barrel under the semi-custom section and in the notes put the request in for a muzzle break.

This website will help you with your decesion.

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog5.htm

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dennis

Please PM Dennis or use the "contact us" options available via their website with any/all questions pertaining to pricing or availability of barrels at the outlet store. Doing so here is just going to get Dan or Dennis in trouble with us for violating our "no soliciting" rule in the discussion boards.

Questions about features or specific details (contour dimensions, # of grooves, etc) are fine, but most of that information is readily available and easy to find on their website or can be obtained by asking a question on their forum which is why they have elected not go have a dedicated vendor board here.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

rattfink
    The new site looks very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    +eleventy

Topstrap
    I see from your new website 1 week on the Remington pre-fits and 3 to 4 on semi-custom Remington pre-fits. So back in early December when I ordered a Remington pre-fit 16" straight bull in 260 and still haven't gotten it I'd have been better off waiting till now and getting it anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks? Wonder how mine got lost in the shuffle? Canceled the order today anyway after being told it still hadn't been started and got what I needed from another barrel maker. Called last Friday and today (Friday) asking about a timeline and was just told "still hasn't been started".

Had lots of local shooters waiting to see how this McGowen pre-fit was going to work on my LongRange XP-100 for our local 1000 yard matches. Guess I'll be doing the range reports with another barrel. Had good expectations on this barrel setup for this gun since the old Lilja shot extremely well and we had hoped the McGowen would do as well.

Good Luck with your new site.

Topstrap

I ran into a issue with the website. I saw that I could order a 264 LBC on the web and get it in 3-4 weeks. After having my chain jerked by a different manufacturer I decided to proceed with some caution. I called and asked for a standard offering in 264 lbc and found out that even though the site says 3-4 weeks a 264 LBC is unique and it will take more time like 10-12 weeks. I am glad I called and didn't lay down my CC and become very disappointed when the Brown truck doesn't show up for at least 3 months.

Westcliffe01
    There is certainly a detectable "cavalier" attitude to delivery schedules for individual buyers at Mc Gowan.

I ordered an "in stock" barrel blank in 8mm which I requested to have chambered in 8x57 Mauser and profiled, the web transaction was on 11/27/2012. I then sent in my Remington 700 barreled action since Mc Gowan offered to do it with a barrel nut as part of the profiling operation, that was delivered to Mc Gowan on 12-07-2012.

On 01-09-2013 after several requests, I got a response that the barrel was listed as still being in "profiling" and that he would check what the hold up was. It turned out that the turner had messed up the chamber and it was scrap. Meanwhile the site still listed the original blank for sale, so I said - just get another blank and finish the job please ! You can go to the website even today (2 months later) and the blank is still for sale, even though I bought it back in Nov last year... http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/onsale.htm Scroll down a bit and look at item #39.

I don't know what the priorities are at the sales and admin office, but I cannot understand why (when this is your business), you do not update the list of "stock" items that you have for sale for several months. Now if Mc Gowan had in fact finished my job and delivered it, all this would have been irrelevant (to ME), even though it may have p'ed off someone else who wanted that item, saw it listed, bought it online only to discover that it didn't exist.

When calling the office, the lady who answered the phone will not connect you to Dan, it is as if there is an internal policy that Dan does not talk to customers when they call. Furthermore, she told me to expect the job to take anywhere from 6-9 months because of how backed up they are. I told her there was no way I was going to wait that long for an item which had been advertised as being in stock, especially if all it needed was a chambering and profiling job.

Later I got an email from Dan (this was on 02-07-2013) saying that they would "push through the job in the next couple of weeks". Since then, I have not had any reply to my emails and I'm not wasting any time on the "firewall lady" who answers the phone. Mc Gowan has had a partial payment for the job (the original price of the blank) since Nov of last year and honestly, I have no idea when I am going to see this work of art. What is interesting is that NSS and other retailers have had multiple deliveries from Mc Gowan in the meantime (in more popular calibers - I would be fair to say), and I got a Shilen match barrel through NSS in just 2 days.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the machinists at Mc Gowan, but I suspect there are some serious problems with regard to customer service and the concept that they need to do right by anyone whose money they have accepted. I have worked at many smaller businesses where production managers have run roughshod over little guys to get big orders out for the big customers, but management at Mc Gowan needs to remember that at the end, every single barrel is ultimately bought by individual buyers (except for military and Law Enforcement). If us little guys are not going to get our jobs done in a timely manner, they should just come out and say that they don't want our business and to place the order with NSS or whoever their choice retailer is.

Best of luck to anyone else in a similar situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast