Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McGowen Precision Barrels

Advertiser

McGowen Precision Barrels

Hello Everyone. It has been quite some time since I last posted anything or even visited the forum. Recently someone informed me of some bad press that we were receiving and I thought that I would try to address some of that and to also let you know where McGowen Precision Barrels is going.

For some there is some concern about turnaround times. McGowen Precision Barrels has been growing steadily since we opened the doors and demand is at an all time high. Unfortunately for you, the customer, this has added additional time to our turnaround. We have added a new production manager, new production software and are adding machinery that will help shorten this turnaround. A lot of times when people call to order a barrel they say "how long?" my normal answer at this time for a pre-fit is 10-12 weeks followed up by saying "this is only an estimate, it may be shorter or could be longer". We're working to help give you definate delivery dates on your orders. The other thing to keep in mind is that while other barrel companies offer different grades of barrels, we do not. If it doesn't meet our quality control standards we won't ship it and will start it over from the beginning to ensure that what you receive is the best possible barrel that can be made. Does this mean that we're perfect? No, we admit that we make mistakes sometimes, but will work with you to correct any mistakes as quickly as we possibly can. McGowen Precision Barrels is here for the long run and as we do very little print advertising we rely on word of mouth advertising to sell our products. Our goal is to make everyone that buys a barrel from us a repeat customer and basically a "word-of-mouth" salesman for the company.

There have also been some concerns about those that are reselling our barrels. We have had numerous calls from their customers requesting status on the barrel that they have ordered from them. While we feel that, in most cases, that you should go through the company that your ordered it from, we have had instances where the customer could not get ahold of them either through email or on the phone. If at any time you need status on your barrel from one of these companies and cannot get an answer from them, then by all means give us a call and we'll help you out as quickly as we can. Sometimes this means that we may have to call you back, but we will get back to you one way or another.

New things coming to McGowen Precision Barrels. We are currently working on manufacturing cut rifled barrels. They are not available yet but should be in the near future. While we won't start out doing every caliber we will start will calibers such as the 6mm, 6.5mm, 270, 7mm and 30 caliber. We will also be doing caliber such as the 458 and the 50 caliber for the lever action and muzzle loader guys. We will post on our website when they are ready to go. We are also making the Remington Pre-fit barrels too and offering our own version of the lock nut for them. Response has been really good on these barrels so far. Our sister company, American Gun Company, is getting close to the finish line on the development of their Mini Action. This will be a switch barrel rifle that can switch out from 17 Rem to 223 Rem to 300 Blackout on up to a 308 size action. Keep watching their website for availibility.

Finally, everyone should know that the owner of this company is commited to the success of this company and is very interested in the feedback from you, the customers, to help improve our products and/or service.

Thank you for your time and if at any time you have any questions, comments or concerns you can contact me directly either via the phone or by email.

Best Regards,

Dan W
    McGowen Precision Barrels

Basic Member
    Thanks for posting. It's good to see a company actively going out and publicly addressing issues. I have one McGowen barrel, and I will buy another one and recommend them to other shooters.

Andrew

Dan, I just finished my new 284 build with my McGowen barrel. I shot it just a few hours earlier today. Just using a recommended load, I was shooting clover leafs with no effort. I will post pictures of the rig and targets. I will be loading up more ammo in the morning, it will be fully broken in and ready for match action.

Later, Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-18-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Hey Dan one of your biggest enthusiast here, as far as I'm concerned keep doing what you doing,
    and just a shot out, Deb on they other end of the line when I call is great,
    and on a final note that 32" 338 EDGE that I got last week is a work of art,
    I like the way the muzzle brake mates perfectly to the barrel, you can't even see a line it looks like It's one piece,
    It also sends those Barnes 160 TTSX over 4000 FPS WHOA, is there such thing as a 338 varmint rifle, "great now I need better optics"

Thanks Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 10-19-2012 at 06:32 AM.

I showed my buddy my new pride and joy and without missing a beat said, commenting on the size of the barrel,
    "what are you going to with that civil war reenactments that thing looks like a musket" to bad he will never get to try it out after that comment, LOL

Dean

tinkerer
    As a multiple McGowne barrel owners, I want to publicly say "Thanks." Great product, good people, good service. I have and will continue to recommend your product to my fellow shooters. And I note from the owner is nice, as well. Future orders coming.

Larry
    Tinkerer

Advertiser
    Gun Shack will soon be offering McGowen barrels. We already have 10/22 barrels in stock and are waiting on an initial order of Savage Barrels. Because of the delivery delays from one of the other barrel makers, we are going to do things different on the McGowen barrels. As soon as I actually RECEIVE my order I will let people know, and then they will be orderable for immediate shipment.

Regards,

Lance

I too love my mcgowens.I have 2 right now and one is a 7.62x39mm that I shot a 3 shot group at 200 yards and it measured an unbelievable .394. My other is a chrome moly .308 bull barrel,it shoots in the 3's all day if I do my part.I am looking forward to the cut rifled barrels as I want to build my 7th savage build with one of your barrels. By the wayI scoped my mcgowens and compared to 2 other high end brands. Your lapped barrels scoped way better than the companies I shall not name. Please keep up the good work.I would love to see you do a video of your facility as I have never seen it done from blank to finished product. Jon T Lennon
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    got an email in about ordering the 300 H&H barrel for a 110.
    expecting great things!!! When the wait for a Big Timber Shiloh Sharps is 2 years give or take,
    I don't think waiting a couple months for a barrel is something to worry about.

biggunn4445
    Hey all im new here and im looking to build a match rifle, right now my platform is a savage 114 American classic 300 win mag I'm looking to get a 26" heavy barrel for this rifle can McGowen Precision Barrels help me with my endeavors if not anyone know of someplace that can help me thank you

Basic Member
    Probably best to call and talk to them directly about it.

Westcliffe01
    Go to their website: http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com

Look at the savage prefit barrels: http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog7.htm

Here you can find there contours http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/contouring.htm (the savage Contours are at the bottom of the list)

Check their inventoried barrels in case one will work for you. That can save several months of waiting. http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/onsale.htm They can still shorten or re-profile if needed. The fees are not huge.

biggunn4445
    thank you westcliffe01 ill be checking them out

Advertiser
    Quote Originally Posted by lskok View Post
    Gun Shack will soon be offering McGowen barrels. We already have 10/22 barrels in stock and are waiting on an initial order of Savage Barrels. Because of the delivery delays from one of the other barrel makers, we are going to do things different on the McGowen barrels. As soon as I actually RECEIVE my order I will let people know, and then they will be orderable for immediate shipment.

Regards,

Lance
    Gun Shack now has McGowen Pre-Fit Savage barrels in stock and more on the way next week. The current inventory is all Small Shank 26" Varmint Contour in Stainless.

http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?ro...facturer_id=46

Regards,

Lance

Basic Member
    Lance, do you think you will ever do the 24" varmint/heavy sporter bbls.

Advertiser
    Quote Originally Posted by 5spd View Post
    Lance, do you think you will ever do the 24" varmint/heavy sporter bbls.
    We can do a special order for that and lead time will be 8-10 weeks.

Regards,

Lance

Basic Member
    I am curious why they (McGowen) would decide to do cut-rifled barrels in a limited selection of calibers, while still offering button rifling on others...

Extremely accurate barrels can be made with either, as well as hammer-forging (Sako)...

The subject is above my pay grade, and I know it has to do with how/when the stress is relieved from the steel and the quality of same, as well as other factors I'm sure...

But why two different methodologies, instead of continuing to perfect, one?

tobnpr, supply and demand. Some customers feel better using cut-rifled barrels. So you have to supply them as well as the rest. McGowen will try to satisfy all.

Westcliffe01
    Cut rifling is highly customizable (grove depth, land shape, twist rate) whereas with a button, once you have made the tool all it can do is make the same profile until it is worn out. The investment in the button requires a certain size run to amortize, while much smaller qty (custom) barrel could be cut rifled with acceptable cost. On the negative side it is probably harder to make a batch of cut rifled barrels that are identical in characteristics. So cut rifling is a better option for small volumes and button rifled is better for mass production. Each process will produce a bore surface that is different, its just a question of how well optimized each process is. Button rifling is fast, but the surface quality and residual stress can probably only be taken so far. Cut rifling can probably yield optimum results at the cost of being more expensive because it is more time consuming.

Dan, thank you for coming onto the site when you hear things that need to be addresses. Its nice to see.

Guys, as if that wasnt enough to show you he cares about the Savage community, I can add some too it. I have spoken with Dan quite a few times over the past few years. I have owned probably 8-9 of his barrels over that time period and every single one of them shoot lights out, and Dan and his employees have been nothing but professional in my dealings with them, but theres more.

As many of you know Myself and a bunch of other members get together here in the central Pa area for a "Pa Savageshoot". Each year we have grown and now have around 30 people attend. Well 2-3 years ago I called Dan and spoke with him about my dealings with their barrels and also what we were doing for the Shootout, and I asked him if there would be anything he could do as a donation so I could raffle it off to help offset some of the costs of the shoot, or give it away as a prize or something. What I was hoping for was maybe a gift certificate for a discount on a barrel or something, but what I got was much more than that! Dan replied to me that he would donate the barrel of my choice, completely threaded, chambered, and ready for use!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He even paid for the shipping ! If that does not show his committment to the Savage community and to the members of this site then I do not know what else does.

Btw, I may be calling you soon Dan.....LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Dan, thank you for coming onto the site when you hear things that need to be addresses. Its nice to see.

Guys, as if that wasnt enough to show you he cares about the Savage community, I can add some too it. I have spoken with Dan quite a few times over the past few years. I have owned probably 8-9 of his barrels over that time period and every single one of them shoot lights out, and Dan and his employees have been nothing but professional in my dealings with them, but theres more.

As many of you know Myself and a bunch of other members get together here in the central Pa area for a "Pa Savageshoot". Each year we have grown and now have around 30 people attend. Well 2-3 years ago I called Dan and spoke with him about my dealings with their barrels and also what we were doing for the Shootout, and I asked him if there would be anything he could do as a donation so I could raffle it off to help offset some of the costs of the shoot, or give it away as a prize or something. What I was hoping for was maybe a gift certificate for a discount on a barrel or something, but what I got was much more than that! Dan replied to me that he would donate the barrel of my choice, completely threaded, chambered, and ready for use!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He even paid for the shipping ! If that does not show his committment to the Savage community and to the members of this site then I do not know what else does.

Btw, I may be calling you soon Dan.....LOL
    McGowen has always contributed when asked.

And as Pdog06 stated, McGowen barrels are very accurate. I have several and will not trade them for anything.

Dan is a very knowledge person and will help you in any way he can.

JMO, Dennis

joghotrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Dan, I just finished my new 284 build with my McGowen barrel. I shot it just a few hours earlier today. Just using a recommended load, I was shooting clover leafs with no effort. I will post pictures of the rig and targets. I will be loading up more ammo in the morning, it will be fully broken in and ready for match action.

Later, Dennis
    Hey Dennis,

Where are the pictures? I know you went out and got a high score the other day!

You have my new 6BR barrel, did the barrel nut show up yet? I can't wait to get that thing together so I can shoot it.

Will be home in a week.

Jimmy

23. 03-05-2013, 06:43 AM
    Reason
    Double post

Jimmy, the nut hopefully should be here today.

Saturday I shot in a match. It was very windy and in the high 40's.

I shot in the F-Open Master/Expert class with my 284. I managed to take first place.

I put a 28" McGowen bull 284 Barrel on a SSS Savage Target Action with the Evolution Trigger. This gun shoots as good or better than all the others I have.

I wish I had pictures to show. I will have to bring my camera in the future.

As far as the other post above, McGowen is coming up with a program to help everyone. Hang on a few days!

Dennis

joghotrod
    Good job on the win! See you soon.

Vegas is nice and warm.LOL And very dry.

Jimmy

Basic Member
    Dennis, do you shoot a Palo Alto?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast