Thread: 20MOA base and ring height

Basic Member

20MOA base and ring height

When using a 20MOA base, doesn't that actually lower the front of the scope, making you shoot high and thus leaving you more room for elevation adjustments?
    I'm mounting a 50mm Millet scope on a #10 with a 1" bull barrel, a 20MOA base and medium Burris Extreme rings. I'm wondering if the medium rings will be high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    When using a 20MOA base, doesn't that actually lower the front of the scope, making you shoot high and thus leaving you more room for elevation adjustments?

Yes and no. When using the 20 MOA base you will have to dial the elavation adjustment way down in order to zero at 100 yards. THis will leave bunches of up elavation but it will leave very little down elavation. Also if you are not going to be shooting past 600 yards then you may be making things difficult for your scope. Scopes work best when they are as close to center of adjustment as possible. If you are at the end of one of your adjustment nobs tracking, holding zero and clarity can become an issue.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Yes and no. When using the 20 MOA base you will have to dial the elavation adjustment way down in order to zero at 100 yards. THis will leave bunches of up elavation but it will leave very little down elavation. Also if you are not going to be shooting past 600 yards then you may be making things difficult for your scope. Scopes work best when they are as close to center of adjustment as possible. If you are at the end of one of your adjustment nobs tracking, holding zero and clarity can become an issue.
    I'll be shooting up too 1000yds. eventually. Most of my shooting will be at 500, but I want the 1000 yd. capability.
    So what about the ring height? I've already ordered the medium rings.

pitsnipe
    I have a mdl 10 FLCPK with an EGW 20 moa base. 50 mm Leupy (30 mm tube) and LOW rings set the scope @ 3/16th's from the bull barrel. So your MED height will be @ 1/4" from the tube would be my best guess. Like em even closer than mine. But if inside 3/8th's of an inch is great. Just the closer the better. Kinda like in long range ordinance :) :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    I have a mdl 10 FLCPK with an EGW 20 moa base. 50 mm Leupy (30 mm tube) and LOW rings set the scope @ 3/16th's from the bull barrel. So your MED height will be @ 1/4" from the tube would be my best guess. Like em even closer than mine. But if inside 3/8th's of an inch is great. Just the closer the better. Kinda like in long range ordinance :) :)

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm mounting a Millet 50mm with 30mm tube on a #10 action with a Shilen 1" bull. Sounds like I'll have just enough room for the flip up covers :)