Thread: Things that make me go Hmmm....

Things that make me go Hmmm....

So having finished up my range testing of the Model 25 Walking Varminter in .17 Hornady Hornet, I couldn't help but try to find a reason to buy and keep this particular rifle. I really don't need it. I really don't care for the Hornet cartridges as they don't do anything or offer any benefit that my rifles in .17 HMR and .223 Rem don't do. In fact, I really don't even care all that much for the action design of the Model 25's - but that's just me.

Then an idea struck me...

- Savage doesn't offer anything chambered for the .17 Remington Fireball
    - This Model 25 already has a .17cal barrel screwed onto it that could be rechambered
    - I already have a laminate stock to replace the junk synthetic one
    - A .204/.223 magazine should feed the shorter Fireball case since the short Hornet's feed without issues

Hmmm....I may just see an el-cheapo winter project brewing.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

M.O.A.
    Sounds like a plan from the man ;-)

Big Old Boy
    how did the testing go with the laminet stock I must have missed it. as for me I want to get my wife into shooting she hates recoil and loud noise so for me the 17 hornet is the way to go.

Read the full review on the homepage, I posted it this morning. And to be honest, I didn't find the 17 hornet to be any quieter than a 223.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Big Old Boy
    thanks for the review I think I am going with the 223 I know it works and the wind won't bother near as bad, thanks again.

Basic Member
    Don't load for hornet cases, but from friends that do, was steered to the .221fb/.20vt/.17fb "modern brass." I read many comments about Remmington's poor quality brass, I've never had one split or crimp the neck, and have shot some pretty tight groups in both a savage .20vt and cz .221fb. The model 10 action cycled the short cases just fine with a feed cone, problem was the magazine didn't. That could easily be re-designed on the cheap.

I too wonder why savage would build a .17 hornet or 5.7 X 28 and not offer .17fb or .221fb, in either the model 25 or the 10 series. Just put a .221fb barrel on a striker and it is a fun gun! Look forward to hearing more of Jim's .17fb project. Maybe the model 25 mag won't have the feeding problem the 10 series actions do.