Thread: New Savage Hog Hunter Owner

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    snakedoc257

New Savage Hog Hunter Owner

I've been looking for a good entry level bolt action .308 and after doing a little research over the last week I came home with a Hog Hunter in .308 today. I love what the gun offers for the money $419, but I have a few questions that I'm having a hard time getting an answer to.

First, I would like to replace the stock. I don't need a super high end stock like a McMillan or a Manners. I don't want anything extremely heavy. I was looking at a Hogue or a B&C and can't decide. I'd really just want a better more solid version of the factory one. The Hogue seemed to be more of the profile I'm wanting. Anyone replaced the stock on the Hog and if so what did you go with? I emailed Hogue and the representative who responded gave me part numbers for a long action which I think is wrong. First she gave 11801 and then 11805.

Second, I'm trying to decide if I want a DBM or not. If so, couldn't I just order the necessary parts from Savage? Aren't there identical models offered with DBM's? Obviously the stocks are different. I called customer service yesterday and after waiting for about 20 minutes the lady who answered wasn't real sure. I figured I'd call back tomorrow and see if I could get someone more knowledgeable.

Third, Optics. What are you guys mounting up to the Hog? I think I want a one piece rail and some type of quick detach rings. I have a Millett DMS-1 that I bought for an AR build before I bought this rifle. I thought I might try it out on the Hog and see how I like it. Suggestions? If that doesn't work I'll likely be picking something from Bushnell.

I think what I'm trying to accomplish is a Scout type rifle with the scope in the traditional spot.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Last edited by snakedoc257; 10-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.