Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Savage Hog Hunter Owner

snakedoc257

New Savage Hog Hunter Owner

I've been looking for a good entry level bolt action .308 and after doing a little research over the last week I came home with a Hog Hunter in .308 today. I love what the gun offers for the money $419, but I have a few questions that I'm having a hard time getting an answer to.

First, I would like to replace the stock. I don't need a super high end stock like a McMillan or a Manners. I don't want anything extremely heavy. I was looking at a Hogue or a B&C and can't decide. I'd really just want a better more solid version of the factory one. The Hogue seemed to be more of the profile I'm wanting. Anyone replaced the stock on the Hog and if so what did you go with? I emailed Hogue and the representative who responded gave me part numbers for a long action which I think is wrong. First she gave 11801 and then 11805.

Second, I'm trying to decide if I want a DBM or not. If so, couldn't I just order the necessary parts from Savage? Aren't there identical models offered with DBM's? Obviously the stocks are different. I called customer service yesterday and after waiting for about 20 minutes the lady who answered wasn't real sure. I figured I'd call back tomorrow and see if I could get someone more knowledgeable.

Third, Optics. What are you guys mounting up to the Hog? I think I want a one piece rail and some type of quick detach rings. I have a Millett DMS-1 that I bought for an AR build before I bought this rifle. I thought I might try it out on the Hog and see how I like it. Suggestions? If that doesn't work I'll likely be picking something from Bushnell.

I think what I'm trying to accomplish is a Scout type rifle with the scope in the traditional spot.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Last edited by snakedoc257; 10-16-2012 at 11:32 PM.

I would check out stockys stocks which I believe is in the vendor section.I have purchased many stocks from them and all exceeded my expectations.The only thing I dont like about the hogue overmold stocks is they seem to collect fine dust on them and it looks like your gun is filthy after a short while.Stockys has a nice asst of laminate stocks at real reasonable price's so go to them asap and get a glimpse of what is available for you.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Manners is my 1st choice of stocks, in fact, that is all I use. Yes, you can change your blind magazine rifle into a DBM type. Manners will do the inletting for free, and you can purchase the Savage factory bottom metal assembly to make it happen. Other than Manners, you can use any of the non-accustock model stocks to make it happen as well.

As far as a 1-piece rail goes, I would highly recommend the Weaver Tactical. Fit and finish is excellent, solid rail profile on top, 0MOA or 20MOA versions, and the cost simply can't be beat. It is the only rail system that I will use now. You will not be disappointed. As far as quick detach rings go, Warne or Leupold quick detach rings are all that I would use. If you decided against quick detach, I would highly recommend Seekins rings. Seekins is the only rings that I will use now as well.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

snakedoc257
    Thanks for the input. Much needed. I love this gun. I'll check out those stocks. I agree the hogue material attracts everything but I sure like the surface.

I'll check out manners, not wanting to sink a whole lot of cash into this thing but I definitely want to upgrade the stock. That's good to know about the DBM. Wonder if I should make the conversion? How much do you think savage would want for the parts and how do I ask for them?

Im already looking at the weaver, like the price too. Which one do I need? Regular or 20moa? Definitely going with some quick detach rings.

What I'm trying to do is a scout type rifle with the scope mounted traditionally.

Optics: I recently ordered a Millett DMS1 1-4x scope for an AR build, but I've changed my mind and going with an Aimpoint pro. Would I be doing this rifle a disservice by mounting it up? I like the scope and assuming I actually take this thing hog hunting that power seems popular with hog hunters.

Thanks again. Really wanting some feedback/opinions on this.

ellobo
    I am in favor of fixed power scopes for the average hunter. More rugged with less internal parts to get out of whack. I also like the Boyds Prairie hunter style stock for a hunting rifle. You would have to add the DBM or have it done though. DBM's are nice but I have never needed one on a hunting rifle. The Boyds stocks in laminate are under $100 and are drop ins and you can have it checkered for an extra $50. I have two Weaver fixed power scopes that are over 40 yrs old and are still spot on, a K-4 and a K-6. They sit on 2 110 Savage rebarreled rifles and have seen a lot of time in the woods Good luck with your choices.

El Lobo

snakedoc257
    El lobo, thanks I'm actually looking at Boyds sight now. Looks like they only have them for "factory barrels" I guess that means not the larger mid weight or bull style barrels like on my hog hunter.
    Last edited by snakedoc257; 10-17-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Then change it! Sandpaper and a round wooden stick. If you talk to them they may have a do it for you option.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

1ShotKing
    To answer your question about the bases, given your description of how the rifle will be used I would suggest the 0moa Weaver base. You would only need the 20moa if the rifle will be used at longer ranges. I have the 0moa Weaver base on a Stevens (Savage) short action and the fit and finish is flawless. It is in the same price range as the Millett base and is easily twice as good from a quality standpoint, plus you get the recoil lug and TORX screws instead of the Allen.

1ShotKing

snakedoc257
    Blue avenger, I like the boyds, will be calling tomorrow to see if they offer that option. 1shotking that's good to hear I like weaver's price too. I'll be ordering one tomorrow. Don't laugh, but what do you mean it comes with the recoil lug? Is this more of a project than just bolting it on?

What rings do you suggest?

1ShotKing
    The recoil lug is a built in part of the Weaver base that contacts the receiver at the front of the ejection port. (I think that is the right way to describe it). It doesn't require anything extra to install because of this, and it actually makes it easier because you slide the base forward until the lug contacts the receiver, then snug down your screws front to back. Then you go ahead and torque them to the recommended 20 inch pounds in the same manner. It's just an extra feature that some of the more expensive bases tend to have. As for the rings, I have heard very good things about the Burris XTR rings (especially in that price range) and I am currently waiting for mine to arrive. You can get them in quick detach or standard. I have also heard really good things about the Talley rings, and I can vouch for the ones they make for the Browning X-Bolt, they are simply perfect rings.

1ShotKing

snakedoc257
    1shotking,

Thanks for the input on the base, much appreciated. I ordered the weaver tactical 0moa base today as well as a set of lever lock grand slam rings.

Still undecided on the stock.

1ShotKing
    Hey snakedoc no problem. Those Grand Slam rings are very solid and appear to be well made rings. I have held a set before but never seen them mounted up or in use. Sorry I don't have much stock advice for you, still running the factory stock on my Stevens which is the same as the Hog Hunter as far as I know and I'm routinely getting sub moa, near half on a good day. I will swap it out eventually, probably for a Choate Tactical. I really like that design.

1ShotKing

snakedoc257
    Finally got the 0MOA base mounted. Little dissapointed with it. It came with four screws that were all the same length. The two front mounting holes were too shallow for the screws, so I had to purchase two shorter screws to make the base work. I called and left a message with Weaver, but they haven't called me back yet. I also sent them a email, but again they have not answered. Not reassuring customer service. I got lucky and the local gun store had a separate rear base mount for a Savage that for some reason came with two shorter screws for $4.99. I didn't need the base, but I figured I'd throw it in the parts bin and rob the screws.

snakedoc257

Got a scope mounted on the Hog Hunter

Got the scope mounted tonight. I went with the Weaver quick detach rings. So far I like them. Fit and finish seems good and they lock up solid. I was apprehensive because I could only find them in "high" and wasn't sure if they would be too high. The scope lines up nice for me though. Not super high end, but we'll see how they work. I wanted the ability to remove the scope since the rifle has fixed sights. Not that I believe I could "quickly detach" the optic to go to iron sights if something was charging me. I felt this way allowed the use of the irons for what ever reason and they fit my budget.

I ordered this Millett DMS-1 for an AR build, but I changed directions and didn't use it. After some thought I figured I'd try it on this rifle and see how it goes. Headed to the range tomorrow to sight it in.

Last edited by snakedoc257; 10-23-2012 at 09:01 PM.

hammie
    I've been following this thread closely, because I, too, just acquired a model 10 hog hunter, with the idea of making it into a, sort of, poor man's scout rifle. The factory stock is terrible and I have been looking for a replacement. The apparent problem with the boyd's stocks (with the exception of the thumbhole varminter series) is that they are made to match the contour of a standard factory barrel. According to Boyd's, it you enlarge the barrel channel to accommodate the heavier barrel, then you are sanding it to nearly the edge of the forearm and it looks bad. I guess I could go with the varminter series, but I don't really want a thumbhole stock. I wish boyd's made a regular style stock with a wider fore end and barrel channel for the hog hunter and other law enforcement series savage rifles.

snakedoc257

Stock for the Hog Hunter

Hammie,

After typing this post last night I went over to stocky's site and found their Heritage Classic and Bobby Hart Long Rang/Tactical stocks. The description reads like they might work. Going to do a little more research on those. These aren't too much more than the Boyd's. I wasn't really wanting to sink too much into a new stock, as this isn't going to be a bench rest or competition gun. I did finally get some help out of Hogue and was told that part number 11824 in Ghillie Green, and 11825 in Ghillie Tan will work. I didn't get the part number for Black. These are the regular pillar bed versions, but they have a full bed version for about a hundred bucks more. The frustrating thing about the Hogue is, that no one has them in stock and Opticsplanet says 6-8 weeks. I really like the profile and the feel of the Hogue, but some say it's not real rigid. I will report back on what I go with.

Thanks for reading.

New Savage Hog Hunter Owner

The Hog Hunter barrel is narrower than a standard Savage Varmint contour...should not have any problem opening up a Boyd sporter stock to fit a HH barrel.

hammie
    @Mr. Snakedoc: Thanks for the hogue part numbers. I've bought a lot of their wood handgun grips and their products have always been first rate, and so I would expect the same from their rifle stocks. I'll take a look at those.

The thing is: My first preference is something in wood or wood laminate and I really don't want a tactical or thumb hole stock. I did compare the hog hunter barrel profile with my savage 112 .220 swift varminter. They start out the same, but the hog hunter tapers much more quickly, but still not nearly as much taper as a standard sporter barrel. If you buy a varminter/target channeled fore end, it looks like the hog hunter will leave about .10 inch total gap (or 0.05 inch on each side) and the end of the fore end. Again, Boyd's does say that if you open up the channel on a standard sporter stock for a heavy barrel, you won't have any top width of forend left. Now whether the hog hunter tapers enough to mitigate this problem, I don't know.

Something else you may want to consider is replacing the cheap plastic trigger guard with a steel one. Midwayusa.com has steel guards for 19 $ (item # 119847). Mine dropped right in, except, I had to level the front of the guard with 3 stainless steel, 1/4 inch washers, between the guard and the stock. It worked fine and you can't see the washers. I also got a 3-prong open end flash hider from Advanced Armament Co. It screwed right on and looks great.

If you find more information, please post it. Thanks.
    Last edited by hammie; 10-25-2012 at 11:44 AM.

TraverseSavage
    I've also been watching this thread...I too have the Hog and am swapping out that God-awful-excuse of a stock. I am also weary of the barrel channel/barrel matchup. I'm going with a Choate Tactical which is set up for a heavy barrel. The taper of the Hog barrel WILL leave a gap on both sides especially near the front...I can live with this.

hammie
    @Mr. Traverse: Thanks for saying it better than me. That stock is god awful. The difficulty is that the top metal on the hog hunter was configured pretty close to the way I wanted things, and so I will have to work with it.

kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by hammie View Post
    I've been following this thread closely, because I, too, just acquired a model 10 hog hunter, with the idea of making it into a, sort of, poor man's scout rifle. The factory stock is terrible and I have been looking for a replacement. The apparent problem with the boyd's stocks (with the exception of the thumbhole varminter series) is that they are made to match the contour of a standard factory barrel. According to Boyd's, it you enlarge the barrel channel to accommodate the heavier barrel, then you are sanding it to nearly the edge of the forearm and it looks bad. I guess I could go with the varminter series, but I don't really want a thumbhole stock. I wish boyd's made a regular style stock with a wider fore end and barrel channel for the hog hunter and other law enforcement series savage rifles.
    Here's a picture of a Prairie Hunter with a magnum barrel contour, showing free float back to the barrel nut. No sanding was done.

Here's a closeup of the rails with that fit. It looks to me like there's considerable sanding room, but that's your call. I posted the barrel measurements in the OTHER "I want a Boyd's stock for my Hog Hunter but I'm not sure the barrel will fit" thread.

KeS

Basic Member
    If you want to save money and keep the stock, do what Frank did with his axis. We did it to my 110 last week and it worked great. All you need is a couple steel rods and some epoxy.

hammie
    @Kevin: Thanks. A picture is truly worth a thousand words. The "prairie hunter" style stock is exactly what I want and there sure appears to be plenty of room to open up the rails on the stock fore end, if necessary to accommodate the hog hunter.

snakedoc257
    Thanks for the information. Kevin, it looks like that Prairie Hunter fit your's quite well, so it should fit the Hog Hunter with even more space right? Thanks for the picture. Hammie, I'm also looking at flash hiders, can you post a picture of yours with the Advanced Armament one? Also thanks for the info on that trigger guard. I want to replace that too. Can't stand the plastic one. Anyone wanting to convert theirs over to DBM? I was going to leave it blind, but I'm torn again.

hammie
    @Mr. Snake: I don't want to seem un-accommodating, but I'm not sure how to post images. An easy way to see one is to go to midway.com and type in midway's item # 320653 in their search box. That's their item # for the .308, non supressor, AAC flash hider and it's about 55 $. I actually purchased the .223 Rem hider, because my hog hunter is a .223, but the .223 and .308 hiders look the same. As an alternative, you can also go directly to AAC's web site at advanced-armament.com. On their home page, click on accessories, then click on "blackout flash hiders". The nice thing about this flash hider is that it doesn't require timing. Just screw it on.
    Last edited by hammie; 10-27-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast