Thread: problem with savage 110 fcp 300 win mag

bamaljj

problem with savage 110 fcp 300 win mag

i got my savage 110 fcp 300 win mag and tried to zero it in, i maxed out 3 scopes with 3 different bases and rings right to left adjustment. sent it back to savage and they said could not find anything wrong, its within specs. got the rifle back and still having same problem. any suggestions? closest i can get it is 1-1 1/2" right and scope is maxed out. using burris xtr 6-24, zeiss 6-24x56 and a nikon monarch 4-16 with high dollar base and rings. one base came from savage that they use to check it

Shoot-N-Nut
    An easy fix for problems like this is either Leupold standard rings and bases or use the Millet angle-loc rings where you have a left and right adjustment in the mounting system.

Basic Member
    Another solution is to use Burris Signature series Zee rings with eccentrics. Normally the eccentrics are used to adjust up/down but you can spin them 90 degrees to adjust for windage (most scopes you can use a 20MOA eccentric in one side and a 0MOA in the other and be near the middle with how far out your saying it is). In any case, count the clicks, do the division and find how from center it is, then purchase your eccentrics accordingly. My bet is a tiny machining fault with the base is the issue. I'd grab a micrometer and check the side to side measurement from edge of the screw holes to the edge of the base. Just a couple thousandths can make a difference but I'm betting it's more than just a couple thousandths out of symmetry.

the option above is good too but you need to be careful to align the rings correctly (there's a tool for this) or you could damage your scope quite severely.

EDIT: and when you say high dollar, what exact combo is it in? need specific parts and preferably a pic to eliminate some of the sillier mistakes.
    Last edited by r3dn3ck; 10-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Gmac5
    At what range are you talking about, 100, 200, or more? Is the barrel really free floated?
    Gary

bamaljj
    i have used 3 bases, 3 sets of rings. 1 was warne base with warne rings, 1 was leupold base with wind adjustment with leupold rings and last i used ken ferrell 20 moa base with nightforce rings. have tried 3 different scopes nikon monarch, zeiss diavari and burris xtr and have maxed all 3 out right to left. i can not figure out what to do. gun is being sent back to savage for second time. just the gun brand new in july

bamaljj
    i have used 3 bases, 3 sets of rings. 1 was warne base with warne rings, 1 was leupold base with wind adjustment with leupold rings and last i used ken ferrell 20 moa base with nightforce rings. have tried 3 different scopes nikon monarch, zeiss diavari and burris xtr and have maxed all 3 out right to left. i can not figure out what to do. gun is being sent back to savage for second time. just got the gun brand new in july

bamaljj
    100 yards

Shoot-N-Nut
    Its not unheard of to have scope mount holes drilled off slightly and it doesnt take much to really throw off a scope. Using the Leupold style rings and base you can adjust for it. You have to find the scopes center point of your left and right adjustment and put it right in the center first. Using a bore sighter you adjust the scope left or right with the screws on the rear base to line up the scope centered with the bore sighter, lock it down and shoot it, that should give you plenty of adjustment for fine tuning. If its off far enough that you cant adjust it out with the mounts then there is a big problem somewhere.
    Last edited by Shoot-N-Nut; 10-18-2012 at 05:55 AM.

What I have done on a couple I went to the 8-40 screws and set it up on a mill and milled the holes closer to the centerline of the reciever.Some have to go more using 10-32 screws to get it right.Savage should replace the **** reciever at least. Contact jim briggs as he may be able to rectify the situation with savage. He can be reached at: 1-763-682-4296
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!