Hello Savage Shooters!

I'm new to this forum (obviously), but I come to you in hopes of an answer or an idea as to the solution to my [rifle's] problem. I have a Model 99F that a local shop cleaned for me when I first inherited it last year and ever since then, the automatic cut-off will randomly stick out just a hair too far and become stuck against the receiver and subsequently, the breech bolt won't close when I'm working the lever. When it gets caught, sometimes I can just tap the auto cut-off with my finger and it will become unstuck and work as normal until it catches again. Other times, I have to hold it in with one hand while closing the breech bolt with the other. There are also times where it will function normally and the auto cut-off will not stick.

Any ideas what might be causing this? All there is to it is the cut-off and the cut-off spring. Perhaps the spring was put it backwards/upside-down, if that's possible, or somehow damaged? I'm not sure where to proceed from here, and really don't want to mess anything up. I unfortunately don't seem to have any decent gunsmiths near me that I would trust in fixing this, so I'm trying to do it myself. I have spent a fair amount of time searching the internet for similar problems, but have yet to find one.

The only suggestion I've had thus far is that the spring might have been kinked, but I'm unsure how to disassemble the 99 to get to the cut-off. A summary of everything that I have read has said "don't mess with anything to do with the magazine." Is it really that bad?

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this!