Thread: Finally got an Axis

Basic Member

Finally got an Axis

I really wanted a used Stevens 200 or model 10 action for my 300blackout build, but I haven't been able to locate one locally, so this morning I went to a WalMart and they had the 223 Axis in stock. Well, I haven't bought a rifle from WM in a few years and today was a lesson. I had 5 people from WM trying to figure out their online 4473 form. Most of them were assistant managers and I waited over 1.5 hours to get my rifle. I could have come back, but I figured I was already there waiting and the store needed to learn how to process a firearm, so I let them use me as the beta tester.

The dept manager and assistant manager didn't even know they had a special order catalog. One manager did, but she handed me the special order catalog after they already were on hold with PICS check or else I would have special ordered the Stevens 200.

Overall, the Axis seems to be a decent rifle...I don't like the bolt knob as it feels cheap to me, so I'll probably replace it along with the recoil lug. I'm also going to strengthen the stock via the tutorial from a member on this forum.

I just need to rent or buy the go/no go gages and I'll be set. I'm hoping that this rifle will be super light since I just received my McGowen 16.5" 300 blackout barrel earlier this week. I plan on using EGW bases since the company is only 20 minutes from my house. I'll probably just stick with a lower power optic, since I plan on using NV once my suppressor is approved.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Congrats on your new Axis... enjoy it.... They are alot of fun.

When you do the stock reinforce, take your time. It's pretty easy after you do 7 or 8 of them...

If you run into a bind or have aquestion, drop me a PM. I'll be on & off tonight.

Good luck with your project.

PS - you won't be changing the recoil lug. You'll see what I mean when you open it up.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    I did see the recoil lug was built into the receiver...that's good...saves me money not having to replace it. I did the trigger job and replaced the ejector ball bearing thanks to drybean. I bought the epoxy from Ace just like you did...did you just use one for the entire stock? I was thinking about cutting part of the stock on the front to save on weight since my barrel is 16.5".

Basic Member
    I think the amount of epoxy & aluminum rod would be negligible unless you're counting grams....

As I recall, one - 2 tube package (the big one) was enough to do 1 stock. it doesn't need to go past the swivel point in the stock. Just make sure you're able to drill into the bottom of the plastic recoil block & epoxy the rods in the holes. They won't go in too far - only about 3/8" or so. but do set the rods into the block. You'll have more stability.
    You can get by with just covering the rods by 1/8" or so. Once you get inside you'll see what you need to do. it's quite simple.

Have fun & good luck with it.
    Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    I take it you cleaned the side channel of the stock...then used the epoxy. I bought a bit to open the channel...I think that the sporter contour should be just a little thicker than the factory barrel. I'll probably wait on the stock project until I get the go/no go gages to headspace the barrel.

I appreciate the feedback.

Basic Member
    Read the tech info on the home page. It shows the type(s) of gadgets & cutters i used to open up the channel. You want to be able the slide a piece of thin cardboard or folded index card up the barrel & between the channel & barrel.
    Leave plenty of space as this may vary when you're loading a bipod or resting it on a rock or something.

Coarse sandpaper then gradually finer does a good job. Just take a little off at a time & check it to make sure you have enough clearance.
    You can see all of this in the pics I put up.

Frank in Fla