I purchased a used Savage model 111 stocked in wood (non-accutrigger model) a few years ago and never have been happy with the scope it came with. It has a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5X10X40. A few weeks ago I bought a new Leupold VX-I 3X9X40 to replace the old Simmons with. The gun has a two-piece mount with Weaver style rings. I thought the new scope should work since both have a 1" scope tube body. The Leupold mounted fine but wouldn't adjust up far enough to get on the target. Looking more closely at the mounts, they seem to be canting the scope upward causing it to shoot too low. The scope is adjusted as far "up" as it will go and still the bullet is striking way below the target. I can't understand how the Simmons would zero while canted and mounted on the same rings/mount. Why wouldn't the Leupold adjust out far enough?

Does anyone have any experience in mounting another scope on one of these older model 111"s? Just looking at the top of the receiver looks as though one half (behind the bolt) is more flat and lower than the front half. It would appear that the mounts would almost have to be made custom for the model 111. True? Thanks for any advice.

Russell