Thread: Savage model 111 scope mount help needed

kvistads

Savage model 111 scope mount help needed

I purchased a used Savage model 111 stocked in wood (non-accutrigger model) a few years ago and never have been happy with the scope it came with. It has a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5X10X40. A few weeks ago I bought a new Leupold VX-I 3X9X40 to replace the old Simmons with. The gun has a two-piece mount with Weaver style rings. I thought the new scope should work since both have a 1" scope tube body. The Leupold mounted fine but wouldn't adjust up far enough to get on the target. Looking more closely at the mounts, they seem to be canting the scope upward causing it to shoot too low. The scope is adjusted as far "up" as it will go and still the bullet is striking way below the target. I can't understand how the Simmons would zero while canted and mounted on the same rings/mount. Why wouldn't the Leupold adjust out far enough?

Does anyone have any experience in mounting another scope on one of these older model 111"s? Just looking at the top of the receiver looks as though one half (behind the bolt) is more flat and lower than the front half. It would appear that the mounts would almost have to be made custom for the model 111. True? Thanks for any advice.

Russell

Re: Savage model 111 scope mount help needed

You have a flat rear action, and the bases only go on one way. If you didnt touch them then they shouldnt be the problem. Look at the Simmons you took off and see if it looks like it was adjusted way to one side also. Might just be it has more of an adjustment range than the Leupold, but still is a problem for you.

What rings are you using?
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

kvistads

The rings are made of steel (top half) I think with aluminum below for the bottom half. The top half says the word "Weaver" on them. I'd guess they are about 1" wide. The scope mounts are not see through type and sit fairly low to the receiver which I like. It's just that the scope looks canted up some. I can't tell much about the Simmons scope because it has never ran out of adjustment - meaning I can get it to zero fine on the bull. The Leupold sits fine and snug in the same rings but won't adjust up far enough. I know this has something to do with the mounts themselves because this is the second Leupold scope I've tried. I sent the first back to Cabela's thinking the scope was the problem - it wasn't. The first was a Rifleman scope and the second is a VX-I. I thought the Rifleman was maybe a cheap scope although it seemed bright and clear enough. I now think it is the scope base itself that's causing the scope to sit canted. I was looking at a one piece mount made for the 111 by Leupold. Maybe this would cure the problem. I'm debating on calling up Midway USA and talking with their tech folks about the problem and see if they have a fix.

Try shimming the rear base up a little. You can use small pieces of soda/beer cans for your shims. Never fold over use separate pieces cut to fit until scope is DEAD LEVEL. Should bring you back to normal, remember to recenter you cross hairs before you sight in.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow