Thread: Making a stock?

Basic Member

Making a stock?

With no more stock to make. Good thing its hunting season and time is at a limit. I see there are some members going to make a stock from a blank piece of wood. I was thinking of starting a “as we build a stock” thread.
    If any interest, I can start with a stock blank and post pics and some of the tools I use. Hope others that are interested do the same. Any one in?

RSG

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Someone should document it...

You'll need to make one for me. Don't forget the photos.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Gmac5
    Great, did you read my previous post! I m glad some are willing to try. It takes me a minimum of 40 hours of labor to make a stock from laminated 4x8 birch ply . I can get 8 -10 stocks per 3/4 4x8 sheet. All depends on layout and stock shape.
    Gary

rattfink
    I would some detailed "How to" on this subject. And pictures of ya'lls' projects as well.

Basic Member
    Apache you need to add bob Fortier and Got diesel to the list. They both inspired me to make a stock for my axis. This thread would be for the ones who are currently starting a stock for a axis and may need some help.
    RSG

There's quite a few of them if you look for them...some are from very old posts...I just picked the 2 I could remember off the top of my head.

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    There's quite a few of them if you look for them...some are from very old posts...I just picked the 2 I could remember off the top of my head.
    Merge and sticky IMO.

fsr402
    After buying two Savage rifles last week I found this forum. In the first hour I came across some threads on making stocks for these and it got me thinking. Being an engineer in the automotive industry and working for a tool and die shop I have access to tools that most don't. So I just ordered a laminated blank from Boyds and will give it a go over the winter.
    I plan to use a bridgeport to do the inletting and then from there on it will be all by hand. If it don't turn out I'm out $50 and my time. lol

But if it works...... I'm in line for the first you decide to sell!!

Welcome aboard!

fsr402
    Just took a quick look at the Axis and I'm thinking that a stainless plate under the action could be a good thing. My thought is that I could use that to not only spread the load of the action screws but it would work as the rear "tab" for the clip to snap onto. Then a stainless plate for the front action screw would be for the front of the clip to snap into then make a trigger guard using the rear action screw. Will need to bed it when done.
    Anyone know if the recoil lug pulls out or is it molded into the stock? If it pulls out great, if not I'll just have to make my own I guess.

recoil lug will pull out, it's not molded into the stock

bobfortier
    Start by making the action machining, then the recoil lug slot. Measure everything from the rear of the recoil lug slot. Barrel channel is next, then al the various trigger/bolt release/spring, etc. Once you are done from the top, turn around and do the underside.

Have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by bobfortier View Post
    Start by making the action machining, then the recoil lug slot. Measure everything from the rear of the recoil lug slot. Barrel channel is next, then al the various trigger/bolt release/spring, etc. Once you are done from the top, turn around and do the underside.

Have fun !
    Bob you just going to have to move down here for the winter, then you can make them pretty stocks of yours for us!

bobfortier
    Tempting, but I really like our snowy, cold winter up here. It snowed this morning for the first time, I was very happy.
    Other note about making a stock, do the inletting first and after that do the exterior shape. If your start with a un-inletted stock, what I do is make a box so I get 2 parallel side that I can ride the router on.

HANDYANDY
    I didn't build one from scratch, but I did do some pretty heavy changing in the way it handles and feels. I am next going to run some pieces of angle aluminum on the outside of the stock from the action area forward, and use epoxy and bondo to set them in place. this should take care of any remaining flex issues, as well as make the forend ride bags a little better.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...s-on-new-shape

fsr402
    Anyone know if this would work for a trigger guard? http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...=Savage%20Arms

Basic Member
    Are you making a stock, I would say yes. The one in the pic is the same size and screw pattern but I made it wider.

RSG

fsr402
    Yes I will be making a new stock from a laminate blank. Just trying to get all the parts together before I start cutting away at this thing.

Basic Member
    Some info. I made the trigger guard, I did not like the wide trigger opening. the trigger on your axis is about .25 wide and the guard is .39 (see pic). I also made the trigger opening bigger for a gloved hand.

RSG

fsr402
    Not sure who this guy is but I think this is the best instructions on making an Axis stock that I have found yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evNPA5iLzdg

Basic Member
    Fsr402 what tool do you have to make your stock?
    RSG

fsr402
    Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    Fsr402 what tool do you have to make your stock?
    RSG
    I design stamping dies for the automotive industry and work in a tool and die shop. I have access to everything from a file to a 5 axis laser. I'm just figuring out how I want to do this.
    My plan right now is to do the inletting on a knee mill and then profile on the band saw. For the final shape I may do some of the cutting free hand on the knee mill and then go to hand grinders , files and sanding blocks.
    This morning I was back in the CNC dept asking what cutters they had I could use for the barrel grove and the head of the dept wanted me to model it up in 3d cad and he would just 5 axis cut the whole thing for me. lol
    This is a winter project that I will start after thanks giving when my hunting season is done. So no hurry and I think hand carving this would be the fun way for doing it.

Basic Member
    Well you are set to go you do not need my help. I use a 1.00 inch and a 1.25 round router bit for the barrel and action groves.
    RSG