Thread: BAT/S-K not left hand friendly

Everest

BAT/S-K not left hand friendly

I'm used to living in a right-handed world, but I was disappointed to find that the adjuster for the cheek rise mechanism is right where my cheek should go. I did the redneck field modification with a washcloth, and while it was effective, it is kind of ugly. I have stepped up to a mouse pad cut to solve the problem. Has any fellow left-hander found a more elegant solution?

Uncle Jack

Re: BAT/S-K not left hand friendly

No, but I like the mouse pad idea.

uj

pa hog

Maybe the buttstock could be replaced with a left-handed AR-15 Buttstock from Magpul or someone that makes lefty AR stuff

firemachine69

Aren't these RH-only rifles, anyways?

Buck45

Would the new model in 338, stock work on the the 10 BAS-K in 308, they look similar in size ? Same thing here find the cheek rest uncomfortable. It is a right hand rifle but once on bipod and rrear bag it is just as easy to use left eye., with right hand cycling the bolt.

Everest

Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69
    Aren't these RH-only rifles, anyways?
    I don't think the rifle cares, and unlike the autoloaders this honest bolt action doesn't spit in my face.

Everest

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Hog
    Maybe the buttstock could be replaced with a left-handed AR-15 Buttstock from Magpul or someone that makes lefty AR stuff
    I guess these are all interchangeable, but because I have always avoided the AR-15 I am illiterate on all those Magpul choices, but I will research it. Thanks.

ironman675

I am right handed on a right handed world but I know the fix if you want to spend a little. Magpul PRS stock. They have the adapter, I have one mounted on my BAT/S needless to say I am much happier than with factory stock.

Buck45

Quote Originally Posted by ironman675
    I am right handed on a right handed world but I know the fix if you want to spend a little. Magpul PRS stock. They have the adapter, I have one mounted on my BAT/S needless to say I am much happier than with factory stock.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH THAT WAS THE EXCACT stock I was looking at....Dumb question do you know the part list for the adapter. As sure as there are green apples someone will send me a wrong part.

Everest

Quote Originally Posted by ironman675
    Thank you, sir. That is exactly the ticket.

The original 110 BA .338LM prototypes had a Magpul PRS straight off an AR... and quite frankly, I've never been a big fan of that stock to begin with, and on a bolt gun I thought it sucked out loud. The cheekpiece doesn't go high enough, it is too far back, and the overall LOP was so long that even I (@ 6'5") didn't need to extend the adjustable buttplate. If it works for others, fine. I gave it two thumbs down, personally.

What Savage tried next was http://store.magpul.com/product/29/85"]the Magpul PRS2 stock, intended for the G3/FAL type rifles[/url]. They make a custom adapter that replaces the 'dog-leg' portion at the front with something designed to mate up with their chassis. On this model, the cheekpiece goes higher, extends further forward, and the adapter is shorter so the adjustable buttplate is actually functional. And it'd probably be moderately left-hand friendly. Plus it looks better than either of the options currently available on the 10 BAT rifle (my opinion).

Not sure if you'll be able to pry one of those buttstocks or adapters loose from Savage, though.

ironman675

OK fellas: here is the email I got from Shawndy Bush of Savage. hope this helps

BTW: I have Burris tactical mid ht rings with a bushnell 6500 tac scope. the PRS adjust fine for my 6'-3" frame.

Good Morning,
    Our service department has both the Magpul stock and the adaptor available for customers to purchase. The part number for the stock is 107892, and the cost is $250.00. The required adaptor is part number 108246, and the cost is $130.00. The orders can be placed by calling our customer service department at (800) 370-0708 with a credit card, or customers can mail in a check or money order to the Springdale Road address with a brief note explaining their request. If there is anything else that you may need, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you,

Shawndy Bush
    Savage Customer Service
    100 Springdale Rd
    Westfield, MA 01085
    (800) 370-0708 sbush@savagearms.com

Everest

Thanks, Ironman,

"The required adaptor is part number 108246, and the cost is $130.00."

OK, I have ordered the adaptor, and Shawndy told me the Stock is a Magpul PRS 2. I have access to a PRS 2, but now I see there are two models of that, anyone know which one I am looking for to use with this adaptor with the BAT/S-K?

Just going out on a limb here... but I'm guessing the only difference between the two models of PRS2 is the adapter - one connects to an FN-FAL, the other to a HK G3. Since you're going to be removing that bit, and substituting the adapter to fit a Savage BAT rifle... I'd say it probably doesn't really matter which one you get. But, thats just a guess; can't guarantee no surprises.