Thread: Savage pocket pistol

emzornes

Savage pocket pistol

This pocket pistol was given to me from a wonderful man who had no relation to me other than knowing my family. He treated me like his grandson and I will never forget him. Gun is about 95% condition it is chambered in 32acp.

Basic Member

Re: Savage pocket pistol

For being a 100yr old pistol, it is in really good shape.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

emzornes

Yea my "Grandfather" kept it oiled and in a tube sock. So I guess it was the early version of the gun socks that are out today. He also give me a holster for it, the gun slides down into the holster and there is a metal spring loaded button that comes out in the trigger guard. It looks to be pretty old as well. The paten date on the top is either 1902 or 1907 I can't remeber which.

Basic Member

That is a real prize. Those are excellent guns. For a while Savage was in the running to become the official U.S. Army sidearm, but lost out to the 1911. I have not held a Savage Pocket Pistol in many years, and it was no where as nice as the one in this post. Please excuse my envy!
    Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
    NRA Patron Member

oopy38

Anyone notice the beautiful case colors still on the trigger? An outstanding example of this model pistol!

thomae

Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish
    That is a real prize. Those are excellent guns. For a while Savage was in the running to become the official U.S. Army sidearm, but lost out to the 1911. I have not held a Savage Pocket Pistol in many years, and it was no where as nice as the one in this post. Please excuse my envy!
    Article about this in this month's American Rifleman. Of course, it focuses on the 1911 which won the competition, but talks a lot about the Savage as well.

emzornes

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks! I will check out the article as well.

romulus

Rad piece of history

ellobo

In the shape this is in it is a real collectable. So is the holster. Hang on to it and in 20 yrs it will be worth 5 times as much as now. The Blue Book of Gun Values will give you some idea of its worth. Should be available from sosme of the shooting book dealers.
    It was a thrill to see it and like new condition.
    El Lobo

Story

That actually looks like a late version, called the 1917. There's a great website for those pistol, at http://vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

Basic Member
    FWIW, They were very popular as carry and defense pistols, and were heavily advertised. Two of the people who were featured in the ads were Bat Masterson, who carried one in his later New York City days and Buffalo Bill Cody, who liked the Savage .32s so much he occasionally carried one and had special versions made as gifts to friends. You are very lucky to have one, especially one that nice. That is the later model, very art deco in design. They were highly regarded as carry pistols...their ad slogan was "10 shots quick!"

mark

added: to see copies of the original ads, check that link in the above post- Look at the pull down menu under advertising for Bat Masterson, etc.

This is a great and very informative site.
    Last edited by dogngun; 07-31-2012 at 11:06 AM.

What a wonderful little pistol, thanks for sharing!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

royk
    Quote Originally Posted by romulus View Post
    Rad piece of history
    I am not too impressed with these little pistols....... I have only bought 2 of them in the last month.......... That is why I only own half a dozen or so, all different (one of each variety of .32 and .380, and a French WWI Military contract .32) ......... None of which are for sale........ It is probably a good thing I don't like them any more than I do as I would probably have 30 or 40 of them........ My lady's first pistol was a M1907 .32 as well.......

royk
    Quote Originally Posted by emzornes View Post
    This pocket pistol was given to me from a wonderful man who had no relation to me other than knowing my family. He treated me like his grandson and I will never forget him. Gun is about 95% condition it is chambered in 32acp.

What a beautiful example. It is at least as nice as any of the six or seven that I own and in better condition than several of them.

LDB415
    What a beautiful example! I believe that is the nicest one I personally have ever seen. You are very fortunate to have received it.