Thread: 10 FLCP-K stiff bolt

oneshot57

10 FLCP-K stiff bolt

The bolt on my new 10 FLCP-K is real stiff to move down to close and lock the bolt in place. It only has 40 rounds down the tube. Do I need to live with this, will it losen up with use or is there a way to adjust it?
    Any help would be great!

skypilot
    I have the FCPK, couldn't get the LH in Canada at the time. I have 478 rounds down the tube and it has freed up quite a bit. Not sure of the round count when it did loosen up but probably around 300.

Edit... Mine is .223

pitsnipe

No you dont HAVE to live with it

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot57 View Post
    The bolt on my new 10 FLCP-K is real stiff to move down to close and lock the bolt in place. It only has 40 rounds down the tube. Do I need to live with this, will it losen up with use or is there a way to adjust it?
    Any help would be great!

I have a new FLCP-K as well. And found the only brass that went to battery and eject easily was brand new factory loaded. Through some posts on this site asking a lot of the same quesions I concluded that the stiff bolt on brass shot in another gun of mine (.308) was due to my full length die being "set" to resize the brass for my other gun. So, through some adjusting and sizing/cleaning the lube off and chambering the brass I found the "setting" on the die that my Savage chamber needed. Basicly I concluded that the Savages chamber was significantly tighter in specs than my old Winchester thus needed the special adjustment on the full length die. Since then, the bolt closes and opens as smooth as a gun 3 times the cost of mine.
    All else being equal, clean, proper length, not dented brass this should work for you.
    Good luck.

oneshot57
    My bolt is hard to close without a cartridge chambered. The brass used when I put the 40 rounds down the tube was new unfired Lapua. I did a fl resize, cleaned the lube off and then did a neck size before I made my hand loads. Not sure if that was required or needed but that is what I did. It did shoot well

Sounds like one of your scope base screws is a little long.Make sure the short screws are up front and not going threw the receiver binding your bolt.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

oneshot57
    The bolt slides fine. It is just stiff when I turn the handle down to lock up the action.

stangfish
    The bolt slides fine. It is just stiff when I turn the handle down to lock up the action.
    What Froggy is saying is that sometimes the scope mount screw penetrates the area where the bolt head resides. It is common for the bolt head to drag the end of the screw when rotating the bolt to the closed position. The end of the screw will be dragging the outer diameter of the the bolt head.

oneshot57
    Understood... What is the best way to shorten the mount screw with common tools. Would a grinder work? All the mounting screws looked to be the same lenght. I used the DNZ one piece mounts.

pitsnipe
    A very fine file with the screw in your hand is what I have done. But then I didnt have to remove much metal. Set the file on a flat surface and run the screw against it. Sounds like that is your problem. Should have some scrape marks on the bolt too if it is a screw hitting it.
    Good luck.

oneshot57
    I just took another look and found the bolt locks up a lot easier without a cartridge in it. I think it may be the case. They were first fire lapua. I have read that they are a little beefier than others. I did a full lenght resize and set the shoulder back .020. Next load I will only resize the necks. We will see if that makes a difference. Thanks to all for your help!

Check front action screw, it may be rubbing bolt head on closing. Lossen screw & if bolt closes easier, shorten screw.

maddogg316
    Check your bolt head if u got scratches on it u got a screw to long

stangfish
    I did a full lenght resize and set the shoulder back .020.
    Woah!!! You bumped the shoulder back .020! That is probably not a good idea. Your cases Could be reused for only good for one or two reloads before you start to see head seperation from brass stretch with that kind of space. Try <.005 preferably <.002.

oneshot57
    Typo!! I only bumped the shoulder back .002 on the last load. This load I only neck sized.....

txsharpshooter
    I took mine fresh out of the box and polished the bolt lugs, feed ramp, bolt slides the back of the bolt handle ramp with "wizards metal polish" and made a night and day difference ! make cycling the action super smooth! i'm going to do this to the rest of my guns for sure!