Thread: Model 11/111 270 stock not fitting action

staple66

Model 11/111 270 stock not fitting action

I just purchased a model 11/111 270 trophy hunter xp and when shootting gun the first time noticed that accu trigger would hang up. Was told to tighten up the accu trigger spring a couple turns to increase trigger pull slightly. Took stock off of action and adjusted the spring as needed. Now I can not get the action to sit in stock correctly. Seems like is rocking on something and will not fit in tight. Am I missing something, I follow directions in manual that came with gun but something seems like is wrong.
    Sorry for the newbie questions but this is my first rifle and want to make sure is all ok before shooting gun again. Thanks for any advice.

thomae
    Without looking at it it is hard to answer your question.

Sometimes, with the action out of the stock, when one is working on the trigger, the pin that holds the sear on the trigger will start to work its way out of the hole (It does not have a retaining clip because when inside the stock, it bumps against the stock and can't fall out). Check to make sure all your trigger pins are pushed in all the way.

If that does not help, perhaps posting photos will allow some of us to determine your problem.

Or...if you are willing to say where you live, there may be a knowledgeable forum member who is physically close enough to have a "look-see" at your rifle.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you aboard.

staple66
    Thanks for the reply Thomae, but does not seem to be the trigger pin. Seems like the rear of action does not want to sit all the way down in stock and will rock slightly. Maybe this is just the way it goes but sure does not seem right to me. It does seem to work but appears the the rear of action ( safety area ) is sitting up in stock and can see ghost marks where was tight before. Has a gap all the way around the safety area of action.
    I

M.O.A.
    Is the action cocked ?

staple66
    M.O.A. yes the action is cocked. I follwed the directions to the tee in manual still having the issue. Thanks for any advice.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    if you are willing to say where you live, there may be a knowledgeable forum member who is physically close enough to have a "look-see" at your rifle.
    It might help if you could post photos with sufficient detail to illustrate your problem, if that is possible.

M.O.A.
    Oh ok it is suppose to have a free floating safety tang. So how much gap is their.

thomae
    Without seeing your rifle in person, I can't really tell you what the problem is. As M.O.A. stated, the rear tang is supposed to be free-floating. Most folks can insert a couple of sheets of paper or perhaps an index card between the tang and the stock. If a previous owner was not careful and tried to relieve this area of the stock, they might have removed more material than necessary, thus leaving a gap.

The other thing is that the recoil lug should not be bottoming out in the stock's recoil lug cutout. So, when you place the action in the stock, especially if the action is not bedded to the stock, you might get some rocking back and forth until you tighten the action screws. That would be normal.

Basic Member
    If it's the new style with the bolt release in front of the trigger "The bolt must remain closed and the action uncocked (Fired) throughout the entire stock removal and installation proceedure". As per instruction manual page 29, center column, in bold print.
    This may be the problem if you have the newest generation model 11.
    Hope this helps. I did hear somewhere that the old manual was (sometimes) being shipped with the new style rifles, thereby leading you to do it improperly.

MMMB
    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    If it's the new style with the bolt release in front of the trigger "The bolt must remain closed and the action uncocked (Fired) throughout the entire stock removal and installation proceedure". As per instruction manual page 29, center column, in bold print.
    This may be the problem if you have the newest generation model 11.
    Hope this helps. I did hear somewhere that the old manual was (sometimes) being shipped with the new style rifles, thereby leading you to do it improperly.
    Im in the same boat here. I had the older manual and my bolt is actually out of the rifle with the stock off. I cant get it back in. Anyone do the same thing and have a fix for this?

thomae
    You need to have the bolt cocked to get it back in the receiver. Then, make sure you are pulling the trigger and pulling back on the bolt release button as you push the bolt all the way in.

MMMB
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    You need to have the bolt cocked to get it back in the receiver. Then, make sure you are pulling the trigger and pulling back on the bolt release button as you push the bolt all the way in.
    How do i cock the bolt when its not in the reciever?

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMB View Post
    How do i cock the bolt when its not in the reciever?
    Aye, there's the rub.
    The easiest way for me is to loosen the BAS, and then when you have it off or threaded with only one thread in the bolt, push the cocking piece pin (the round doojobber that sticks out of the bolt on the side) up the ramp (toward the bolt handle) and over the hump into the detent. Then re-tighten the BAS. You can do it without loosening the BAS using a good table edge, but be warned, if you slip off, you could seriously bark you knuckles and or ruin the edge of your table. Don't use the 100 year old antique coffee table for this job.

stangfish
    If you did not uncock the bolt then it has remaind cocked from when you removed it. Return the bolt to the action and close the bolt. This will move the pieces that are prohibiting the reasssembly. Then install the barrled action.

MMMB
    All set guys. Bolt was cocked just needed a little wiggle and some force. I did need to pull the trigger after the bolt was in, to get stock back on correctly. With action cocked the front bolt release didnt work right and the action didnt sit in the stock correctly.

Thanks again for the help. Glad i did mess with the accutrigger it seems much better now. The factory had it set somewhere in the middle. I bottomed it out and it feels much better.