Thread: Speaking of triggers...

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Speaking of triggers...

The trigger on one of my 110 actions is too tight / hard to pull. I've run out of options on making it lighter. I've replaced the spring with a thinner spring wire, polished the sear & it's contact point, cleaned & lubed, aligned, cursed & kicked the wall....

I think I've covered everything.

The only way I can explain this is, it's hard to pull to the point where it takes alot of concentration on trigger pull because if I don't pay attention, I'll yank the trigger & pull the shot.
    Almost feels like a burr grabbing & then *snap*.... A crisp, clean break.

I guess it's time to open up the 'ol wallet & go with a new trigger.
    By the way, this is an older action I'm referring to. Made around '97 - '98...

What's the preferred trigger these days? Timney or Rifle Basix?

If any of y'all have any experiences with either one - good or bad - i'd like to hear it.

Thanks.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

nsaqam
    I've found the Timney to be no improvement over a three screw and I just sold a worked two screw which performed on par with the finest hunting triggers I've ever used.
    Can't say about the other aftermarket triggers.

Mach2
    The Riflebasix will do perfect. You can even lower it to about 24 to 29 ozs. I raised mine back up to 34 ozs. The timney cost more. If you match shoot get the Timney because it goes even lighter than the RB. If you hunt you don't need the Timney. They are both great triggers.

I would go with the SSS trigger as my first choice and the rifle basix my second choice. I have used the sav-2's and have a couple of sss triggers which are very nice,you want the SSS competition trigger.If you can stand the wait,a true and time by fred or stockade stocks Kevin Rayhill.You wont regret it either.
    Last edited by jonbearman; 10-08-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Team Savage
    SSS trigger.you will not regret it

drybean

Kelly Jackson
    Have one setup with a SSS trigger, one with a rifle basic's sav-1 and two with rifle basic's sav-2 triggers.

I really like the sav-2 trigggers. I dont like to wait.

Kelly

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Ya know, I didn't know there was a 3rd choice out there. In the interest of time, I may just swap trigger set ups from a newer Stevens action I have. It must've been made on a day when everything was in harmony within the universe because i can set it pretty light & it's got a nice feel to it. That way I can still use the rifle while deciding which trigger to get. AT this time I'm leaning toward the RB or SSS - Wait time pending.

Thanks gents.... I do appreciate everyone's 2 cents worth of input.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

nsaqam
    The universallly good reports on the SSS makes me think I need to try one someday.

It's just that I've been able to adjust the two screw and three screw triggers to be very darn good.

My Accutriggers just went down the road because of that stupid blade and the slot in the shoe when you remove the blade.
    Last edited by nsaqam; 10-08-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Clint KY
    If it is a bench-rest rifle go with the SSS - if it is a field gun the Rifle Basix is a great choice. I asked my gunsmith if there was any difference between the Timney and the RB and he said "Mechanically - No' so I saved $20 (or more since the RB ships free) and have never regretted my choice.

storeyteller
    I like the RB. Have it on 2 rifles and got it down to 18oz on both of 'em. Haven't used the SSS or Timney.

rusty815
    I have a rifle basix, had it installed on my 300WSM until I bought another rifle off of a member here, now its in limbo until I pick the rifle up. The Rifle basix is every bit as good as the accutrigger, and in my experience can be adjusted lighter and crisper, with no over travel. I highly recommend the Rifle Basix, the Sav-1 is probably the most affordable aftermarket trigger and imo the best bang for your buck trigger.

Basic Member
    I have 2 of the SSS competition triggers
    Both are set at 16 oz and do a very good job ( i think they range fron 12 oz to 2 lbs)
    You can purchase them from gun shack , brownells, or SSS & maybe a few more places
    I do not think you will be disapointed
    Jack