Thread: Axis .308 bolt problem

TheStig

Axis .308 bolt problem

Hey guys,

I hate to be that guy whose first post is a problem with his rifle, but unfortunately, that's me. I haven't been able to find a fix so I'm turning to you.

I had the bolt out of the rifle for cleaning a couple days ago, and it wouldn't go back in. Getting curious and feeling it should be cleaned anyway, I got ambitious and took the bolt apart and cleaned/oiled it.

The bolt seems to be back together correctly (I've disassembled and re-assembled at least a dozen times now), but when I put it into the rifle it causes a problem. When I raise the bolt handle, it goes up and cocks the bolt. However, the bolt will not come back (like to eject a casing).

One thing I noticed that I did not notice before (maybe I wasn't paying attention) is that the bolt release is down when the bolt is in the fired position, and it goes up when in the cocked position. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

I've determined that the problem might have do with the "button" on the side of the bolt that cocks the rifle, maybe getting jammed up with the bolt release or something. The front end of the bolt (extractor etc) seems to be working fine. Any other ideas?

I would appreciate any advice on how to get this fixed. Thanks in advance.

Team Savage
    do not know if this helps ,but the bolt needs to be in the cocked pos. before it can be reinstalled

drybean

TheStig
    Yes, thanks, reinstalling is no problem. It's once the bolt is in and the handle goes down to the fire position-- the bolt handle will go up but the bolt will not come back.

thomae
    Where are you? Perhaps someone could look at it in person.
    So it is in the rifle right now and can't be removed?

Gmac5
    How tight is the bolt screw? How about action screws, scope basescrews ,?

TheStig
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Where are you? Perhaps someone could look at it in person.
    So it is in the rifle right now and can't be removed?
    Thomae, in fact I'm in State College PA. I removed the bolt by disassembling it while it was in the rifle- this is why I think it's the rear end of the bolt, perhaps the cocking button, that's causing it to stick, because once I take off the bolt screw, handle, and spring, the bolt will come out. Not sure though. PM me if you're willing to take a look at it and I can drive to meet you if you want.

The rest of the rifle is just as it was before I cleaned it, so basically the only part that I've monkeyed with is the bolt, so I'm looking there for problems.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    Thomae, in fact I'm in State College PA.
    PM sent with phone number. Call me.

Gmac5
    So you can remove the bolt in pieces? If so ,reassemble bolt outside rifle , re-cock rifle and insert . Dont know if thats what youre doing ?
    Gary