Thread: Possible to convert Savage 10 Precision Carbine to internal magazine?

beradon

Possible to convert Savage 10 Precision Carbine to internal magazine?

Its a .223 w/accustock and I love the rifle but If its not a difficult modification I'd like to do away with the DM and convert it to an internal mag. Is it just a matter of switching some parts or is it a major job? Thanks in advance!

hank440

Re: Possible to convert Savage 10 Precision Carbine to internal magazine?

why ?

beradon

Im going to answer your question with some questions. Why not? Why would anyone want a DM on a bolt action rifle? What is the purpose? In combat (25th ID) my basic field load was 25 M-16 mags and the reason for that is obvious but with a tactical/varmint rifle they serve no purpose. Having a DM is not a problem - I just prefer an internal mag. Simple.

beradon

Detachable box magazines were designed for use in military rifles and they have been produced by governments in the millions for such rifles. Experience has shown that detachable magazines are indeed an advantage for infantry rifles. Army rifles (and their magazines) are essentially disposable due to the fundamental nature of combat. The primary advantage of the detachable magazine, speed reloads and the consequent high rate of sustained fire (given enough spare magazines), outweigh the drawback of an easily lost or damaged magazine in an army rifle.

However, the reverse is true for a hunting rifle. Fast magazine interchange is not required and detachable magazines are prone to being fumbled, dropped, damaged, lost, or not fully seated so that shots are missed. While a battle rifle needs sustained firepower, a hunting rifle needs to be able to deliver one to three absolutely reliable shots days or weeks away from an armorer, replacement parts, or any form of support. This fundamental difference between military and sporting rifle requirements makes detachable magazines a poor choice for the latter.

The easy fix would be to swap in a hinged floor plate.

To go to a true blind mag, you'd have to switch stocks.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

steveinwv

Since I only hunt with my AR-15s maybe I should....................................

Seriously, just make sure the clip is in the gun tight and take the chance on it not functioning correctly. Unless of course you are hunting Alaskan brown bear or elephant, in which case you probably shouldn't use the Precision Carbine.