Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 110 in .338 Lapua from the factory

LawmanSales

New 110 in .338 Lapua from the factory

According the Savage Facebook page they will have a factory .338 Lapua for 2010.

82boy

Re: New 110 in .338 Lapua from the factory

Yes, they will, it is a model 110 bas. You can find it on the new Savage web site. It has a 1 in 9 twist 26 inch long barrel, weighs in at 15.75 lbs, has a 6 round capacity, and a MRSP of $2267.00. The gun also come in 300 win mag. I talked to the people at Savage and they are very proud of this new gun.

338ax

Put a SCOPE ON IT AND IT WILL BE OVER 16 POUNDS. YOU CAN'T HUNT IN IDHO OVER 16 POUNDS. ???

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 338ax
    Put a SCOPE ON IT AND IT WILL BE OVER 16 POUNDS. YOU CAN'T HUNT IN IDHO OVER 16 POUNDS. ???
    [img width=600 height=146]http://savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/big/110bas.png[/img]

take some of the rails off, and work some other bits to shave some weight... and you may be able to drop below the limit.

Basic Member

I called to see if they will sale the action only or a barreled action through the custom shop. No go. They said it would need a stock to be sold threw the custom shop but no other stock will fit. So to build the rifle I want (around 12lb) I figure I would have to pay an extra $1200 or so for a stock I do not want. I would think they would want to sale a barreled action for $900-$1100 or just an action for $650 to $750 but no go. I will probably just build an edge on an action I already have.

Basic Member

In case you have'nt figured it out, this is not exactly a hunting rifle.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

It would be for me. If I could get the action it would be a 338 lapua improved with a 29" carbon fiber tension barrel, and a Lone Wolf palmamaster carbon fiber stock. What is not "Hunting" about that? ;D

Basic Member

I wonder what shank size the action is and if the action is larger overall than a standard 110 action. I heard that it probably would be and with bigger locking lugs/recesses to hold up better to extra bolt thrust.

Dangerous Dan

This Is Just Good News For All gun Owners Of The Shooting World All Right Savage Way To Go DD

Basic Member

Yea that is what I keep telling myself. I have two other rifles that are built to these specs in .243win and 300wsm and I really wanted a third savage to match. I have preached the savage thing to my buddies so much I will get a bunch of crap if I go to a Remington clone. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    It's a perfect hunting rifle once you take all that tactical crap off of it and put a 28-30" barrel on it.

That, and get Berger to start selling the 338's.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Now i just have to hit the PowerBall for one in 338 LAPUA

pa hog

Make a nice action for a Cheytac build.....

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Hog
    I was kinda wondering if it could handle the Cheytac. I have not heard any actual dimensions yet just that is is bigger.

Basic Member

Yeah I'd like to know the dimensions of it too.

range rat

Quote Originally Posted by 338ax
    I have a BAT/S in .308 and the accessory rail is easily 2+ pounds. Mount a standard one or two piece base and you SHOULD be able to weigh in under 16lbs. There's also a "Swiss cheese" operation that could put her on a diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Hog
    I hope so too, but we'd have to find someone to make us .650" bolt heads. :-\
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    It's a perfect hunting rifle once you take all that tactical crap off of it and put a 28-30" barrel on it.

That, and get Berger to start selling the 338's.
    Yeah.. it would be perfect if it was just different. ;D
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Good point.

I guess it's a good start.

I have never found a perfect hunting on the shelf yet. The only perfect rifle I've found is the one I built myself.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder

Good point.

I guess it's a good start.

I have never found a perfect hunting on the shelf yet. The only perfect rifle I've found is the one I built myself.
    Exactly!!

letsshootem

I'm not sure why savage has built this rifle? I'm sure it will be good in the accuracy department, but I have never seen a factory rifle shoot at the capability that the 338 lapua is capable of. 1500yrds in a factory rifle at $2000? At that distance so many tight tolerances are needed in the rifle and loads. Why spend $2k for something your only going to have to put another $1200 min. if not $1500 just to get the rifle to shoot the 338 lapua capability! Say you get the rifle for 2k and then you spend $1200 to change what needs to be changed. You now have $3200 in a rifle with no optics! Expect $1800 to $2000 for optics needed! Now you have 5k to $5200 in the set up and have not fired a shot yet! At the price of the componets to load for the 338 lapua you will easily spend 1K in load development! Not to speak of the time you will wait on a stock, barrel, trigger, smithwork, and load development. I haven't even mention dies! Easily another $250! That puts you at $6250. If your going to spend this Kind of money on such a superior cal. as the 338 lapua why not go completely custom!? Better Yet why not go 50 cal. Or even the 408, 416 cheytac!?

Don't get me wrong I think Savage is Superior when it comes to factory rifles! I just think the 338 lapua is not needed in a factory rifle unless you are hunting Grizzly Bears or Cape Buffalo! Even then the 30-378 Web or 375HnH is a plenty!!!

What on earth is going to cost $1200?

I'm thinking a new barrel will be $400-$500. Then unbolt the rest of the tacticool crap and shoot.

But then, my new barrel won't be in 338 Lapua either. It will probably be a 7mm or 30 cal variant of the 338 Norma mag.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by letsshootem
    I'm not sure why savage has built this rifle? I'm sure it will be good in the accuracy department, but I have never seen a factory rifle shoot at the capability that the 338 lapua is capable of. 1500yrds in a factory rifle at $2000? At that distance so many tight tolerances are needed in the rifle and loads. Why spend $2k for something your only going to have to put another $1200 min. if not $1500 just to get the rifle to shoot the 338 lapua capability! Say you get the rifle for 2k and then you spend $1200 to change what needs to be changed. You now have $3200 in a rifle with no optics! Expect $1800 to $2000 for optics needed! Now you have 5k to $5200 in the set up and have not fired a shot yet! At the price of the componets to load for the 338 lapua you will easily spend 1K in load development! Not to speak of the time you will wait on a stock, barrel, trigger, smithwork, and load development. I haven't even mention dies! Easily another $250! That puts you at $6250. If your going to spend this Kind of money on such a superior cal. as the 338 lapua why not go completely custom!? Better Yet why not go 50 cal. Or even the 408, 416 cheytac!?

Don't get me wrong I think Savage is Superior when it comes to factory rifles! I just think the 338 lapua is not needed in a factory rifle unless you are hunting Grizzly Bears or Cape Buffalo! Even then the 30-378 Web or 375HnH is a plenty!!!
    Wow.
    Here would be my build.
    Action price? If I could get one.
    Stock $450
    Barrel $350
    Dies $29.00
    brass $100.00
    300gr smk $32.00 per 50
    that's $925 plus the action
    Will be doing most of the smith work myself.
    I already have a Leupold mark 4 8.5-25x50 waiting for this rifle.
    that's $925 plus the action. You do not need a custom action to get .5moa. I have two other savage rifles that are built with the same specs and they are definitely sub .5moa rifles.
    Or you can spend $6500 and get the same results. ;D
    $1000.00 in load development?????
    Just because you can spend that much does not mean you have too.

358Hammer

I'm not sure why savage has built this rifle?

In my opinion the cool factor alone warrents this build. Maybe because Savage pays attention to the shooting public. Then again there is a large military and possibly Law Enforcement market already using this setup made by another.

I think team Savage and those members that went on and shot stock Savage rifles at the worlds (and won)goes a very long way in support of the Savage Accuracy. There are a lot of us on here that are amazed and surprised (me) just how accurate Savage barrels actually are. So lets not count the accuracy out until we see what this gun/cartridge will actually do.

I currently shoot a Lapua Equivalent from a short action Striker. If memory serves me the Lapua case is what .006 larger in diameter than my 378 Weatherby case also in a Striker. I have one gun in 460Weatherby X 510 that exceeded $1000. and that was because of the Barrett 50BMG brake and the Weatherby cases costing $3.50 each.
    I do not own a barrel that cost more than $350. retail ( finished) and I do not own a gun that does not shoot .250 or less every time out.

I won't actually own the new Savage in 338 Lapua because of the cost factor. But I will have my third 338 Edge shortly and the total cost will be 1/3rd the MSRP of the new tactical from Savage. But I still like the cool factor of what Savage is doing.

Neal

Basic Member

I love that Savage is bringing this product out. Judging by the number of questions about building a Lapua on the Savage, there is obviously a demand. That said, this is one of the ugliest guns I've ever seen! Don't get me wrong, I love synthetic stocks, flashy paint jobs, stainless steel, and all the rest. I'm not a blued steel and wood elitist. But that gun just looks like one of my son's Transformer toys. I'm waiting for it to transform into some kind of robot and come after me! ;D I don't doubt that it will sell well and shoot like a dream, but for that kind of money you could put together an awfully nice custom rig.

Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast