Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No P.A doe for me...

Basic Member

Unhappy No P.A doe for me...

Hi Guys, I was going to a friends cabin in 2D for the early doe only muzzloader season on Oct.17. I went to my local gun shop here in NJ and bought a pa tag and a muzzleloader stamp. Only to find out after I spent almost $130 that I need a doe stamp as well. I called a gun shop by the cabin and they said all the stamps were sold out.. I didnt read the hunters digest all the way and here in NJ they sell buck stamps and any season you can take a doe. When I looked at the dates it said you need a muzzleloader stamp. But if you look at how to buy a doe stamp it says in there that you need one for the muzzloader season. Why they dont tell you this in the dates section is beyound me. I mean I was thinking, if I was hunting a doe only season, I didnt need a doe stamp. Well Im still going for the visit and might try some coyote hunting... Live and learn....

In MN you would not even be able to hunt coyote in the woods during deer season. possible conflict.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

davemuzz
    In Pa. (I'm a Pa. hunter) you can hunt coyotes 24\7\365. You need your "general" license....no special stamp, but if you want to hunt them Christmas day, and that day falls on a Sunday, you can hunt 'em. Coyote's are one of the few critters you can hunt in Pa. 365, day or night, even on a Sunday or Holiday. Now, you can only hunt coyotes during any Pa. big game season IF you have a valid big game tag (an unused buck tag or doe tag) OR if you have purchased a furtakers license.

If it's "outside" any big game season, then your "general" license will be sufficient.

jtkratzer
    Yeah, in PA, if you want to shoot a doe, you need a doe tag, regardless of season or weapon.

davemuzz
    True that!! You gotta buy your general license.....I buy mine in June when they first become available because I hunt groundhogs, then not long after that I send in for the "mighty, mighty" doe tag(s). You have to designate what WMU unit you want on your initial application.

Actually, today I had this little doe pop outta the woods behind my house as I was sitting in my most favorite chair. But this one looked so darn skinny I was thinking maybe EHD (we have been hit hard with EHD this fall) so if that was the case, I just let this one eat my wife's landscaping. Maybe last meal??? Too small to mess with. Lots of work for a teacup of meat!!

Last edited by davemuzz; 10-05-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Opus Dei
    That is kinda confusing. There is something similar in Texas in that when you get a game license, you'll see there are turkey tags on the printout. But if it's a basic game license, they turkey fee isn't covered-but you can get it for a small upcharge. Now, if it's the Super Combo game/fish license, the turkey fee is included. I even had a state Game Biologist scratch his head and call HQ to clarify it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus Dei View Post
    That is kinda confusing. There is something similar in Texas in that when you get a game license, you'll see there are turkey tags on the printout. But if it's a basic game license, they turkey fee isn't covered-but you can get it for a small upcharge. Now, if it's the Super Combo game/fish license, the turkey fee is included. I even had a state Game Biologist scratch his head and call HQ to clarify it.
    At first it was, but as I read the whole digest it was ok. From what the guy at the gun shop said, even if I put in for a tag back in the end of july I might not of gotten one. The locals buy them out.

jtkratzer
    Quote Originally Posted by 12fv 308 View Post
    At first it was, but as I read the whole digest it was ok. From what the guy at the gun shop said, even if I put in for a tag back in the end of july I might not of gotten one. The locals buy them out.
    You have to send in your application and they're handled in the order they receive them. If you want to hunt does, go to 5-C. Runs from north of Allentown to the PA-MD border. Something like 30,000 doe tags last year. You can buy them by the handful at a county courthouse in 5-C.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    You have to send in your application and they're handled in the order they receive them. If you want to hunt does, go to 5-C. Runs from north of Allentown to the PA-MD border. Something like 30,000 doe tags last year. You can buy them by the handful at a county courthouse in 5-C.
    Thanks another member told me about 5c. I will see if I can scout it out before the end of the season. I would have to go to doylestown court house and its about an hr drive. Why dont they sell them at the sporting goods stores??

MrMajestic
    Why dont they sell them at the sporting goods stores??
    Why don't they let us use Semi Automatic Rifles? Why don't they let us hunt on Sundays? Why can't we use laser sights? The PGC, why, why, why!!! :-)

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    Yeah, in PA, if you want to shoot a doe, you need a doe tag, regardless of season or weapon.
    Well, this isn't a valid statement. You can use your "Antlered tag" that comes with your general license (your buck tag) in the post Christmas flintlock season to take either a buck or doe as long as you shoot it with a flintlock.

This is from the "Digest":

DEER, ANTLERED or ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 12, 2013. One antlered or
    antlerless deer with general license and muzzleloader license plus an additional antlerless deer with each required
    antlerless license.

jerkin
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Well, this isn't a valid statement. You can use your "Antlered tag" that comes with your general license (your buck tag) in the post Christmas flintlock season to take either a buck or doe as long as you shoot it with a flintlock.

DEER, ANTLERED or ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (Statewide): Dec. 26-Jan. 12, 2013. One antlered or
    antlerless deer with general license and muzzleloader license plus an additional antlerless deer with each required
    antlerless license.
    That's how it always was for archery season in PA also until a few years back they changed it so that you could no longer shoot a doe with your buck tag.

Basic Member

antlerless license.
    Thats what I am talking about, You want to hunt after Christmas, you look up the date, see it's a flintlock season and it says Buck or Doe and spell's it out. Why not for early muzzleloader season. I called P.A Fish and wildlife yesterday. Tols the officer what had happened and ask if I could sing a form that said I would give the doe to the needy. He said hold on and I will check. He got back in secounds and said no, better luck next year. They wont even give you back your money. I know its a good cause, but really?

davemuzz
    12FV......you can still go and try to kill a buck. What's wrong with that? Doe's are easy to whack. Heck, so far this year in archery I've let all the doe pass. I've probably let a dozen go by...big, small, and all sizes in between. I wait until I can whack 'em with my flintlock 50 Caliber pistol, or my 44-Mag Smith, or my Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70. And finally, I'll attempt to take one in the early season with my T\C in-line. That shoots the same bullet as my Marlin, at the same velocity.

I always attempt to archery a buck. That's the toughest way to get 'em. But it does put a smile on my face when I get fortunate enough to do that.

Dave

Basic Member
    12FV......you can still go and try to kill a buck. What's wrong with that? Doe's are easy to whack. Heck, so far this year in archery I've let all the doe pass. I've probably let a dozen go by...big, small, and all sizes in between. I wait until I can whack 'em with my flintlock 50 Caliber pistol, or my 44-Mag Smith, or my Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70. And finally, I'll attempt to take one in the early season with my T\C in-line. That shoots the same bullet as my Marlin, at the same velocity.

I always attempt to archery a buck. That's the toughest way to get 'em. But it does put a smile on my face when I get fortunate enough to do that.

Dave
    Nothing is wrong with that Dave, But next week is Antlerless ONLY muzzleloader. The from f&W said if I dont have a doe tag I cant anything next week, even coyote.. Its a 6 hr drive from my house and I have a 1 year old baby girl. I was lucky that my wife was able to take off next week so I could go...Here in Nj you need a Buck tag for every season but one week, even then you can take doe's..

davemuzz
    Oh.....crap....Yup. I'm sorry for that. I'm thinking the whole time.....because I'm hunting buck...but I'm hunting buck with a crossbow and an archery stamp. And as crazy as this sounds....here in Pa., this is the only time of the season where the Game Commission will allow a hunter to carry BOTH a muzzle loader AND a bow (or crossbow) BUT...you can either arrow or M\L a doe, and the only weapon you can shoot a buck with is a bow or crossbow.

So, they will trust a hunter to shoot the buck with the arrow and not the M\L.

Go figure.

12fv, I feel your pain. I don't know what else to tell you except pass on the trip....buy an archery stamp if you archery hunt, and\or learn from this for future years.

Dave

Basic Member
    I'm sure glad we don't have all the restrictions here in LA that y'all have there. Our seasons are broken down to four segments: archery, primitive weapon, rifle without dogs, and rifle with dogs. Only thing tricky about our seasons is on the wildlife management areas (they vary WMA to WMA).

davemuzz
    Peter,

Yeah...I've heard that about your state. It's just kill 'em 'n grill 'em. Seems easy enough to do. I've often said that to really understand all of Pa.'s hunting reg's you have to be "half attorney." And really....that's kind of nutz. Seems simple enough to me....you can kill a buck in this time frame. You can kill a doe in this time frame. Buy a license and send in for the doe tag by this date.....and you will receive the tag by this date. If any tags are left over, you can apply for 'em on this date.

Pa, changed the doe license application dates a few times. Again....kind of drives you nutz. But...it's a nice State to hunt in....as long as you can find a place to hunt!!!

Dave

Filled my 5B tag this evening with the 45 Omega @ 15 yds. Now I can concentrate on my buck.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Filled my 5B tag this evening with the 45 Omega @ 15 yds. Now I can concentrate on my buck.

Congrats!! Now get one to pack the freezer....and have some horns to rattle a bigger one in next year!!!

Basic Member
    Peter,

Yeah...I've heard that about your state. It's just kill 'em 'n grill 'em. Seems easy enough to do. I've often said that to really understand all of Pa.'s hunting reg's you have to be "half attorney." And really....that's kind of nutz. Seems simple enough to me....you can kill a buck in this time frame. You can kill a doe in this time frame. Buy a license and send in for the doe tag by this date.....and you will receive the tag by this date. If any tags are left over, you can apply for 'em on this date.

Pa, changed the doe license application dates a few times. Again....kind of drives you nutz. But...it's a nice State to hunt in....as long as you can find a place to hunt!!!

Dave
    I understand what you are saying. A lot of the hunting leases here implement their own rules that are more stringent than state regs so bigger deer can be harvested. Unfortunatly some leases have the attitude "it's brown it's down". I have never been to PA but have seen some deer harvested from there and the country in pictures. Sure is some great looking land up there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Congrats.

woodsman416
    Zone 5C has lots of public hunting grounds. Several SGL and Nockamixon. Solebury township also has some hunting opportunities. See attached.

http://soleburytwp.org/page5f87.html?p=110

acemisser
    Hi Guys, I was going to a friends cabin in 2D for the early doe only muzzloader season on Oct.17. I went to my local gun shop here in NJ and bought a pa tag and a muzzleloader stamp. Only to find out after I spent almost $130 that I need a doe stamp as well. I called a gun shop by the cabin and they said all the stamps were sold out.. I didnt read the hunters digest all the way and here in NJ they sell buck stamps and any season you can take a doe. When I looked at the dates it said you need a muzzleloader stamp. But if you look at how to buy a doe stamp it says in there that you need one for the muzzloader season. Why they dont tell you this in the dates section is beyound me. I mean I was thinking, if I was hunting a doe only season, I didnt need a doe stamp. Well Im still going for the visit and might try some coyote hunting... Live and learn....
    MY question is how in He77 did you buy a Pa license in NJ ...Something aint right there...You can't do that......If you want a doe you have to send in for the license early..I have hunted PA all my life...

Basic Member
    Acemisser, I am done talking about this. What I wrote is what I did and yes you can get a PA NON-resident License in NJ. A Doe permit is not a license and I know all baout the pink envelope to be mailed by July 30th...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast