Thread: .224 bullets in a .22-250

Basic Member
    Beaver Dam, Wi. 8 mi from the biggest cattail marsh in the US

.224 bullets in a .22-250

I purchased a Savage 12 FCV 22-250 a month ago. It took about 6 different powders and grs. for my load development. I achieved what I wanted with 35gr. Varget, WW primers, 52gr. Sierra HPBT #1410, (any other primer opens the group up by inches, don't know why. I'm very happy with the rifle and the load. This will group 5 shots in .5" group, sometimes .375" if I really do my part.

My question is, why does this rifle not shoot 50 gr. bullets as well? Is the 1 in 12 twist not good for 40gr. or 50gr. bullets?
    I don't really understand well the rate of twist needed for a particular weight of bullet.
    Any help please. Thanks.

Really no where near enough information to give you a terribly specific answer, but here is a general.
    The twist is perfectly fine for the 50gr bullet, and heavier; UNLESS you are pushing them so slow, that they can't stabilize.
    Without knowing that load(mostly speed) it is impossible to tell.
    Barrels will always have preferences, certainly possible that yours hasn't been fed it's "happy load", or that it just doesn't like them.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

acemisser
    Hi Buggy--My 12 twist would not shoot the 55 gr v max worth a hill of beans..I figured it was because it had a flat base.

I once had a 06 that would not shoot a boat tail nomatter how much you tried...I also don't beleive all the hype that
    people claim their rifles shoot so great with x bullet and yours don't..I have taken a certain bullet and powder and never
    could get it to shoot the way I wanted it to..If I can get at least 4 in a 1/2 inch at 100 yards it's no good unless your hunting with it..
    If your into target shooting and want to win.You need a good accurate bullet..
    I have a new barrel on my 22-250 with a 9 twist..And when people say it should shoot certain bullets,their fullof it..This is not true..

You have to be willing to put a lot of time and money into load development,unless you have friends that are willing to share
    bullets and powder,etc..Another example is my 308 with 175 grain SMK bullets..This rifle will shoot into 1/4 at 125 yards with
    Reloader 15 powder..I was told IMR 4064 would do the same..Not in my rifle..I tried 212 different loads and nothing compared
    to the re15...I log in every shot and every load..So when I say 212 different loads,well that is fact..But my accuracy axcepentince
    is higher than most...

Westcliffe01
    A 55gr bullet from a 22-250 will be going about 3600fps and from a 223 about 400fps slower. I had a Remington 700 223 with a 12 twist barrel and was shooting 55gr Vmax ammo. After a little tweaking (free floating the barrel from the springy plastic stock) it was shooting 1/2" groups every time out. The only reason I got rid of it was because on long shots 250-350 yards the wind drift was a problem and downrange energy was lacking. Shooting 75gr bullets was out of the question with the 1:12 so it had to go.

Stability should not be a problem with a 22-250 when shooting the 55gr bullet, since it is already adequately stable in a 223. Perhaps you might have to use a bullet with a thicker jacket if the velocity results in the jacket being damaged from excess RPM. I would find it hard to imagine this to be the case with the Vmax, since Hornady sells 22-250 ammo loaded with these bullets. But otherwise look at match bullets which are usually thicker in the jacket.

Just go over your rifle with a fine tooth comb. My own 12 with the laminated stock is not shooting 100% yet and I think it is a bedding issue. If you have a synthetic stock, they are often slightly twisted. The only stock I have had no issues with whatsoever is the accustock on my model 10... If your rifle is very sensitive to the powder charge, it is a resonance issue which I would guess is also suggesting the stock is not damping the action well. I am guessing this is not a pencil barrel rifle ?

Westcliffe01
    I just checked the 12FCV and it is almost exactly the same spec as my 700 SPS varmint except the different trigger and floating bolt head. 26" heavy barrel, synthetic stock.

The first thing I recommend is opening up the barrel channel to be sure it has at least 1/16th clearance with the front of the rifle resting on the bipod/rest. It needs more than the dollar bill test because the stocks are really floppy and when you put a bit of load on it, the clearance can disappear and start getting flyers. Then do a good quality bedding job and possibly put in some glass cloth to stiffen the forearm at the same time.

A little work and you should be a happy shooter.

Basic Member
    Beaver Dam, Wi. 8 mi from the biggest cattail marsh in the US
    I am a happy shooter and have found a "sweetspot load".
    As stated in my first post I can achieve a .5" group sometimes a .375" group with a 52 gr. bullet.
    Simply asking.......with a 1-12 twist, should I be looking for heavier bullets (55 to 60 gr) or lighter ones (40 gr.)?
    Thanks to all that replied to my first post.

1ShotKing
    Buggy, a 22-250 with a 12-twist should be fine with everything up to 60 grains. Be aware of all copper bullets such as the barnes tsx are longer due to the extra length needed to get the same mass as a conventional bullet. Berger makes a 64 grain flat base match grade varmint bullet and they recommend a 12 twist for that one too. Have a look at this article, it should help you some. http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/22-250/

1ShotKing