Thread: Is 4MOA expected for a Model 11FCNS 308?

erliban

Is 4MOA expected for a Model 11FCNS 308?

New member and first Savage rifle for me. Thanks in advance for your input.

I just got a new 11fcns in 308. Put a new Nikon Prostaff 3x9 on it and went to the range. Very disappointed:

I can only do 4MOA at 100 yards. I'm shooting Portuguese surplus (headstamp FNM) which is not premium match grade ammo but does have a good reputation.

Sometimes I do have 3-shot groups within 1~1.5 inches but never consistent.

I know Prostaff is not a highend scope but it seems to get good reviews. All my scope mounting hardware are solid too.

I did better with my 7.62x39 AR shooting cheap steel case ammo (2~3 MOA).

My questions are:

Are this type of result expected?

How bad will a hot barrel affect accuracy? I know this is a hunting rifle so it doesn't have a heavy barrel. FYI I was shooting 1 round every 10~15 seconds.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

any one else shoot it to make sure it was not you? Not being a smart as, just asking.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

erliban
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    any one else shoot it to make sure it was not you? Not being a smart as, just asking.
    Totally valid question, but I did do < 2 MOA with my previous Rem 700 (30-06, surplus ammo as well), quite consistently. I'm no marksman but should do < 2 MOA. Like I said my AR with 4x scope does 2~3 MOA :-)

stangfish
    Same scope? What weight bullet? Is the trigger hard to pull. I hat to say it but many of the once quality brands of scopes just cant hold the recoil of anything but a 22. I have had good luck with the cheaper scopes by running the windage and elevation back and forth from end to end a few times, re-bore site and start shooting. It has closed groups by half before. Worth a try.

erliban
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Same scope? What weight bullet? Is the trigger hard to pull. I hat to say it but many of the once quality brands of scopes just cant hold the recoil of anything but a 22. I have had good luck with the cheaper scopes by running the windage and elevation back and forth from end to end a few times, re-bore site and start shooting. It has closed groups by half before. Worth a try.
    147 grain FMJ. Accutrigger is very nice, not hard to pull at all.

No not the same scope, I do have a much better one on the AR (Leupold Firedot). I'll give the method you suggested a try, thanks!

Basic Member
    I have 5 of the Nikon pro staff on hard recoiling rifles, , 3006.270, .50ML etc. No issues with mine.

erliban
    Quote Originally Posted by skoger View Post
    I have 5 of the Nikon pro staff on hard recoiling rifles, , 3006.270, .50ML etc. No issues with mine.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, makes me feel a little better :-) I did just purchase the scope new, hopefully they did not make any cost cutting "improvements" for the latest products.

M.O.A.
    Get rid of the mil surplus ammo. The gun should at least shoot moa at 100 yards.

Surplus ammo is not accurate it sat around for years and then got sold in huge lots to the highest bidders :-( not good stuff.

Savage recommends. Federal 168gn SMK bthp try those and others around there.

First off welcome to the site.
    If you haven't already clean out the barrel of all copper and carbon, and start over from scratch.
    Slow down your rate of fire you are heating up that barrel- and yes it matters.
    Get rid of that mil-surp junk. buy or reload some quality ammo and watch the groups shrink.
    Make sure the barrel isn't touching anywhere and then shoot from a solid rest ( not off hand or from bipod)
    I have 2 model 11 and even with the cheap synthetic stocks they will do well under an inch at 100 yards with good ammo, a good rest, and shooting relatively slow(around 1 shot per minute).So I see no reason why your's won't.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Westcliffe01
    Start off with at least some PPU match ammo. Make sure the action screws are tight and that the barrel is free floated when sitting on the rest in the shooting position. Follow a basic break in procedure. Loctite the rail and rail screws to the action. Make sure the rings are pre-loaded forward against the rail.

erliban

Re: Is 4MOA expected for a Model 11FCNS 308?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll get some good ammo next time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by erliban View Post
    My questions are:

Are this type of result expected?

How bad will a hot barrel affect accuracy? I know this is a hunting rifle so it doesn't have a heavy barrel. FYI I was shooting 1 round every 10~15 seconds.
    The boys got you pretty well covered already.

Expected? Yes, NO FMJ bullet was EVER designed as a precision ANYTHING.

Hot barrel makes a HUGE difference, but more-so in the way you AREN'T thinking about. Letting the rounds "heat soak" in a hot barrel makes a TON of difference.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I've got the same scope on a 6 lb 308 and hasn't failed yet. Great scopes for the money.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Westcliffe01
    Grafs has the Privi Partisan 168gr match ammo in stock for $17.39 Hornady 168gr match is another $10 more but will be more accurate again.

erliban

Re: Is 4MOA expected for a Model 11FCNS 308?

Thanks for the info. I'll probably get some Federal GMM which seems to get good reviews.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2