Thread: Hog Hunter scope mount

primalmu

Hog Hunter scope mount

Does anyone have any leads on a good scope mount for the Hog Hunter? Right now I have 2 short Weaver bases on it, but I found that my Redfield 2-7x32 was too short for the two-piece base. I'm looking for a one-piece weaver rail that will work on the Hog Hunter so I can use my Redfield scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    yep, these are very good for the price, was going to get one of the seconds for my la savage but they don't have them. i bought the regular one for more but they are worth the money. short scope, long scope there's plenty of room to mount it wherever you wish.

primalmu
    I noticed that mount was a 20 MOA mount. This is going to be a hunting rifle and, realistically, probably won't be used at ranges over 250 yards. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using a 20 MOA base if I'm not planning on going for longer ranges?

thomae
    Oops. I didn't realize it was a 20 MOA mount. Ya got me.

For your ranges, of course you don't need a 20 MOA mount. However, if it will fit and your scope still will hold zero at the ranges you shoot, the advantage is that you save some money on a quality mount. If you ever get a long range rifle, you can swap the mount over to that rifle.

Basic Member
    The Weaver 402M(atte) will give you the extra length you need if you are satisfied with the two piece bases.

primalmu
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    The Weaver 402M(atte) will give you the extra length you need if you are satisfied with the two piece bases.
    Further research actually brought that mount to my attention. I think I'll get that one for $6 and if I end up not liking it I'll look into a EGW.

Basic Member
    I like Weaver 2-piece bases. They are light, strong, and inexpensive. Normally I put the 402 on all my long action Savages. Be advised the 402 fits the rear of the newer round rear receiver Savages too.