Thread: New Axis in 30-06 coming my way, recommended ammo ?

bobfortier

New Axis in 30-06 coming my way, recommended ammo ?

Hi all

I traded one of my gun for an Axis in 30-06. I'll use it for deer and the rest of the time it will be in the shop to verify the stocks I make. I'll probably do a walnut stock for it, and checkering if I feel like it.

What bullet weight those thing prefer ? For now I am not reloading, I'll just buy commercial ammo. I have a Bushnell 3-9 x 50 that will go on it.

Team Savage
    Bob,anyway you could mount a lamp rod & put a shade on one of your stocks & send it south ?

drybean

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    With factory ammo, mine always did real well with Federal Premium VItal Shok 150gr. The one's with the 150gr Nosler BT in it. They're a little pricey but were one hole / 3 shot accurate.

Next were the Remington 150 & 180 core lokt (I think) - the green & yellow box. Under 100yds they were OK.

Lots o luck with the new cannon.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Ya know Bean, he does this on purpose.

I know he's doing it on purpose because we can't.

Frank in Fla

Team Savage
    Frank,Idid retro a boyds stock on mine,fittedo 6 dasher bbl,rb trigger,redid the bolt handle
    have yet fire formed any brass
    sorry did not mean to hijack the thread

drybean

Mach2
    As far as bullet weight I like to stay at 150gr in 30-06. I have this fear that any load 165gr or above would knock me out of my tree stand. The idea is to kill the deer not yourself.

Basic Member
    That's pretty funny because I can relate about the recoil from an 06. The last time I shot mine with 180's in it, I needed to see the chirpractor the next morning.

Hey Bean - How was it with retro fitting? I had looked at using a 110 stock a few times and it looks do-able, I just never get around to attempting it.

Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    NOW HE CAN CHECKER!! How can we keep up with Bob.
    I use 180gr Nosler BT on me Ruger last year on a big bull elk.
    RSG

bobfortier
    Well, looks like I'll have reloading gear soon. A friend of mine needs an Axis stock. I bought him a couple of items lately and we kept the prices of the stuff written down to put toward the stock. Well I asked if he has 30-06 Lee die (the 3 dies, neck, full and seater) He says yes, and he has a bunch of empty brass also.

Now I need to find a recipe with IMR4350, if that is possible. I reload my 303 brit with it and I'd like to keep only one powder

Basic Member
    Both of my 06's did excellent with 53.3gr for one & 53.6gr for the older one with IMR 4350.
    4350 is one of my most favorite powders. I keep lots of 4350 & H4831 on hand.
    I couldn't make them happy at all with 4064 (IMR) or 4895. They hated it and I have a bunch of it. I bought it thinking it would be a good powder & it was el sucko..... 4350 does best in a few of the calibers I load especially the 25.06.
    Hey Bob.... I can run up with a few pounds for ya. How fast can you put a stock together for me. Nothing fancy..... I'll even do the sanding & paint.

3 pounds of each enough?....

Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    I have nothing to add except that it really sounds like Frank is urgent to get his hands on a Bobfortier Axis stock. [ I have the feeling he will bring the electric cable, bulb and lamp shade along with the powder.... ]

And I am interested in others responses to the question at hand as I begin to get my stevens 200 30-06 right and accurate with a factory load. first things first, stock clearance...
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

bobfortier
    Got the Axis today. It was camo-painted by the previous owner. I will keep it like that for now, and when I start the stock I'll strip the paint. I installed my Bushnell 3-9x50 on it. Bolt knob is very close to the scope.

I took a couple of pics to show the difference between 223 mag and stocks and the 30-06. 223 is on top, 30-06 bottom. I also show how the mag hook onto the action or stock in both case

Next is working on a walnut stock for this new toy. But first I'll go shoot it at the range on Friday. A friend of mine had 208 grain Hornady A-max bullet, I'll try this over IMR4350

Basic Member
    Hey Bob -

I had / have the same trouble with the scope getting hit with the bolt handle when it's pulled back. When I put my Nikon on an Edge, I had to grind the top of the handle flt. I believe I put up a couple pics of that.

The 2nd time was when I put my old standby scope (Barska) on a 7mm-08. Same story except I didn't have to grind as much away. I'm probably going to give mscott a shout & see if he'll make me a new, reconfigured bolt handle.

When I ground the bolt handle to accomodate the Nikon, I took quite a bit of material off & it was still pretty close. I even went with higher rings. Let me know if you come up with a viable solution. It doesn't happen with all scopes, just the chosen few. I haven't had time to really research why it happens. You know, look at what size eye bell will fit & which won't, length of scope, height of scope, etc....

Good luck with your next project & don't forget, that offer to come down in winter still stands. Just bring along your tools.....

Frank in Fla

P.S. - I'll buy that camo stock off ya when you're ready to part with it. Just bring it with you when you come down.

bobfortier
    About my scope, it does not affect function at all. I think I have the biggest size possible before there is trouble, I'll try to take a couple of measurement

bobfortier
    So, here is the report. I got all the dies and reloading stuff, so I went to Walmart and got the cheapest Winchester ammo. I bought a box of Power-Shocks in 180 grain. The red box with the deer skull on it. Anyway, I put 2 3/4 inch appart at 100 yards, so I'm good to go hunt deer.

The new stock will be laminate, stained brown similar to walnut. I took one of the 308 blank and I modified it to accept 30-06 family mags. It was easier than I tought.

A friend of mine had 208 Hornady A-Max bullets, I will start with that over IMR4350. I also found out my Bushnell is toast. At 9x I can see the target, but no crosshair. If I play with the +- ring I loose the target but I get a clean crosshars. Must be the parralax that is broken or something. The friend who had the bullet also have a Bushnelle Elite 3200 in 3-9 x 50, he will sell it to me for 135$, there is a good chance I'll get this scope.

Basic Member
    Sounds like you're almost ready to go, Bob.... I had trouble with Bushnell scopes on the '06, too. The recoil is enough to rattles some of the best scopes.
    Some scopes that did real well were the Nikon Prostaff w/BDC reticle - it went to 12x. Vortex Viper survived for the 2 months it resided atop my '06.
    I think you'll do well with the 4350. It's a good powder for those heavy .30 cal bullets.

Good luck with your project...

Frank in Fla

bobfortier
    Hi all

I changed the scope for a Bushnell 3200 3x9-50. The bolt handle passes just right at the scope. I also made the laminated stock, tried a new brown color, needless to say I think it is nice.
    Tried some reloads this afternoon, I had the best result with 208 Hornady A-max over 49.5 gr of IMR4350

Here is a pic

Basic Member
    Looks pretty nice Bob. How about a few more pics from different angles? I'd like to see how you inlet for the action & barrel.

Are you saying the bolt handle clears the scope bell? What's your clearance? On both of mine I had to get creative with a file because they wouldn't clear the scope. (Vortex) They were OK with a Nikon, though...

Is the trigger guard your patented special?

Looks good - How's it shoot?

Frank in Fla

Basic Member
    that looks real sharp. i'd love to come up there and do a little hunting and fishing. come up with a synthetic stock, come back with one like that.... that looks awesome...
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost