Thread: penetration test on 68gn hornaday match bthp .224

M.O.A.

penetration test on 68gn hornaday match bthp .224

Just bored to day a did a little test. I know its not the best test but its what I had.

First was about 3/16 th of wet paper then three gal.jugs of water.

Went through two and the bulk of what was left of the lead was in the third. All together weigh retained was 33.4 grns

The jacket was in the second jug ;-)

Last edited by M.O.A.; 10-06-2012 at 07:16 PM.

seanhagerty
    Thats great. I played with some ballistics gel once. (OK, it was jello gelatin that I put in a large tupperware container). I couldnt get it stop even a .22lr. I had a block that was about 9" thick.

M.O.A.

Test was done at 100yards and completely blown the backs out of the first two jugs ;-)
    So in conclusion if used for varmints and don't care about the pelts the bullet is devastating.

P.S. This was shot with a Stevens .223, round was win. brass, cci smalls, 25gns varget, and the 68 gn bthp match hornaday at around 2900 fps.
    Last edited by M.O.A.; 10-06-2012 at 08:28 PM.

acemisser
    amazing just amazing at 100 yards..that is like those cop killer bullets I hear about.

M.O.A.
    Yap its amazing what a little bullet can do. ;-)

M.O.A.
    Next time I think I'm going to do this test at 400 yards just to see what happens ;-)

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Plastic milk jugs full of water are fun regardless of the caliber.

We used them for targets out at the ranch a few times. A 30.06 at 100yds make them explode.

A good time had by all.....

Except the plastic jug, of course.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

M.O.A.
    Yeah it was kinda neat. I shot and the jugs blew up and I swear it sounded like a muzzle loader going off it was kinda cool ;-)

helotaxi
    You should try shooting them with a highly frangible bullet that's really hauling the mail...like a .243 shooting 55gn Ballistic Slivertips. The second jug *might* have some holes poked in it, but more likely won't have a scratch. The front jug, however, is ragged tatters. And the really fun part is that with a 100yd zero, it's 1mil of correction to 400yds. With a 250yd zero, you're +/-2" to 300yds and even at 375 the terminal effects are nothing short of spectacular. I've played with the 62gn Varmint Grenade, 70gn BlitzKing and 80gn Ballistic Tip and Blitz out to 450 on soda bottles and milk jugs. The bottle vanish, the milk jugs fly several feet in the air and both sound like hitting someone in the back with a boat paddle, even 400yds away.

I think I'll set my GoPro up downrange today to get some target carnage video with sound...

M.O.A.
    That's great I just love target cams ;-)