Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage 10 Build, help me get started the right way.

stangfish

Bowers you make me smile. If I could offer one piece of advice? If you read almost all your post it is about looks. Consider making it a better shooter not so much a better looker. In the end you will probably be more satisfied with a shooter. LOL It ain't a bow tie.
    Last edited by stangfish; 07-10-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Yeah sadly its mostly going to be a looker. but i am going with the Shilen match barrel for the shooting/accuracy side of it. as of now it out shoots me and im going to keep the factory barrel on until my skill has developed better. havent got to target practice much due to ammo being scarce in my area and working 60 plus hours a week. but yeah i want a beauty that performs well. thats why im takeing my time and doing my research. would have been easier to bought a higher grade savage but i want to learn and build.

stangfish
    To be honest I suffer from the same affliction. I need to practice what I preach.

last night I took my rifle out and checked everything. the screw that goes into the action from the stock, sits flush inside the action, so I believe that I over tightened it a bit and therefore that it would rub the bottom of the bolt slightly. I will investigate it further I may need to take a thread or. two of my screw, or possibly put a small shim in behind the head of the screw, so that it will not go as far in. I did notice that it looks like the head of the screw does not sit recessed in the stock as much as the front one on the other side of the trigger guard. I make contact savage and see what would be the best route to take.

Well finally got to the problem by accident with my action/stock screws. I removed my stock to camouflage it, and found that I did over tighten my tang screw, if i'm naming it correctly. My cheap trigger guard deformed out a little, therefore letting the screw to go further into the stock and action and hit my bolt. I think I may have solved this putting a small plastic bolt shim between the stock and the trigger guard, it allows just enough to fit properly. I am going to borrow a torque wrench from work and apply the proper torque to it, I believe 40 inch lbs is what I need.
    Last edited by Bowers; 10-16-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    [I]Bowers 2123[/I][COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][SIZE=4][/SIZE]

[IMG][/IMG]

A quick pick of my rifle after I camouflaged it, sorry for the low quality, looks better in person.
    Last edited by Bowers; 10-16-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Well after 3 years I finally finished ordering everything for my build, got a boyds pro varmint stock. Ordered a Criterion 260 remington barrel, precision recoil lug, precision nut, and 1.5 pound trigger spring. Hopefully should have it together next week.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowers View Post
    I also just might be able to do the barrel swap myself, considering I am a maintenance tech and got a whole maintenance shop at my disposal. I might as well become a paid member and read the extra stuff.
    Barrel swaps are easy; just make sure you get headspace gauges. Check out the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08BgrduQtD8 You may notice, I think the guy forgot the recoil lug though... The Savage model 10p w/ DBM doesn't have a lot of stock option. The only decent stock I've found available is the M40 style B&C stock. Another option you have is building a rifle off of a used model 10/110 and install your own precision barrel. Some guys that regularly shoot at my range swear by the model 110 action. They are on a shooting team and say you can swap barrels at the range with a barrel nut wrench, vise and headspace gauge... Look up "Jim Crofts’ F Class". He set a 1000 yard record with the Savage 10/110 http://www.custom-rifle.com/NRA-National-records.htm or http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-walnut-stock/ I met him at Lafayette Gun Club while doing RSO and he's a really nice guy to talk to... One thing about him and other shooters like him, they are very approachable, good to talk to and willing to share their knowledge...

Though you may be a fan of the .308 (as am I!); I'd like to live vicariously through you and watch you build a model 110 300 win mag heavy barrel precision Savage! That would be sweet... But if not, the model 10 w/ DBM has its stock limitations but mine would consistently shoot sub MOA with its original "plasti-stock" (not accustock).

Good luck and best wishes! Just do yourself a solid and search for the stock options before you buy the rifle/action.

Russ
    Last edited by Russmerle; 07-02-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123