Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 Build, help me get started the right way.

Opus Dei

Quote Originally Posted by Bowers View Post
    I looked on the StockysStocks website, and came up with 2 options on the short action stlyes the 4.27 & the 4.40. I dont have a clue what that means either.
    The spacing on the action screws. It's indicative of the age of the rifle, and it matters on some stuff WRT the aftermarket. The 4.4" spacing is the current push feed configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    Yeah you could go the used route and pick up a .308 with the accu trigger. Make sure it has the bolt release up on the side of the receiver though. Otherwise like I previously stated you will not have many stock options.

1ShotKing
    is there anyway i could get a pic of the 2 bolt releases that u are talking about so i can compare and please mention which 1 i need or should get for my build.
    thanks.

Werewolf
    The gun in your pic has the side bolt release. Its the tab right in front of the bolt handle on the reciever. That is the one you want because there are many more parts and stocks for this style. The newer style has a button for the bolt release in the front of the trigger guard and is nearly impossible to get a new stock for.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    The gun in your pic has the side bolt release. Its the tab right in front of the bolt handle on the reciever. That is the one you want because there are many more parts and stocks for this style. The newer style has a button for the bolt release in the front of the trigger guard and is nearly impossible to get a new stock for.
    Thank you.

tacticalj
    Yep, get a used savage with accutrigger with the proper bolt head and just build off that. Or a Stevens and put a new trigger on it. You can swap the barrel for whatever you want as well. You're set on your stock already it seems, so there's no issue there......it's a good choice. So now you have a barreled action that's ready to go, as well as a stock to put it in. Either way you're in a pretty good spot.

So now get you a 20 moa egw rail and some Burris xtr rings. (Budget minded and very functional) So now for optics. Spend as much as you can there. I'd say the new Weaver, Bushnell, or Vortex FFP, but that's me. There's plenty of cheaper SFP options as well as better ring/rail options.

The kicker to this is with a used savage action (to get the accutrigger and the stock you want) you now have a barrel, stock, etc to sell and you can put the money towards other stuff, such as bolt handle and bolt lift kit. I would recommend stockade (Kevin Rayhill) for these and quite possibly even one of his stocks. Now you have a rig well capable of your tasks. You can even go further with buying a quality brux, bartlein, rock, etc barrel. Some may require a smith to thread, chamber, etc. There's plenty of prethreaded drop ins though.
    That's what I'd do, but it's your rig. Good luck, Jason

Ok, guys I mave have found a deal, i just dont know yet, Here is what the add for the gun says.

"i have a savage 243 model 10 it does have accu trigger,nice gun comes with sling hardcase and has a nikon 3x9x40 prostaff only thing wrong with gun is that it has a chunk tore out of recoil pad on one side doesnt effect anything looking to trade for a 270 or 300 in savage,ruger or remington 700 or trade for glock or xd,xdm or m&p let me know what you got respond on here" He is asking 300 without the scope, 400 with the scope.

A .243 is not the caliber im looking to get, but from what i have read that since im going to be buying a bull or varmint barrel any way. I can order the Heavy or varmint barrel in .308 and be shooting this gun in the process. and just change it later when i get my other stuff. I have never shot a .243 but why not try it out untill then.

ok. i have looked up this gun listing on that website again. now the guy is saying it has the accustock. im pretty certain it doesnt. can u guys tell by the pic? and he has dropped price to 275.
    Last edited by Bowers; 11-11-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Going this evening to buy a Savage 10 FXP in .308 at walmart. I got tired of looking for a used one. I'm glad i did not order the Remington 700 sps tactical like i was thinking about a while back, I saw one today at a pawn shop, and man that thing is ugly. the houge stock looking like a rubber turd too.
    [I]Bowers 2123[/I][COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Good News. I purchased the Savage 10 FXP in .308 at Wal-mart. I think i paid more than i wanted, but at least i got the last one they had. It was $490 after taxes and background check, the fxp came with the Bushnell 3x-9x40 scope. Guess it aint to bad since i didnt have a scope anyway. But that will be the first thing that gets replaced.

OH and if you guys are wanting a good deal on Savages. Budsgunshop.com is haveing a great sale on Savages starting the 10/15/12. I almost decided to get the Savage 11 THXP or something like that, It had the detachable box and a NIKON 3-9x40 scope for around $440. It just didnt have many aftermarket stock options so i passed on it. Also they are giveing away every 25th gun sold, and no limit on number of purchases either.

Here is the website. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

Thank all you guys for your inputs. Here is the list of all that i have planned to buy in order of priority for me.

1. Savage 10 fp, stagger feed, side release for bolt. ----- purchased

2. Optics, still looking. I want around 4-18x50

3. Savage Tactical Bolt Handle Flat Back, http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-...k-SSSTBSS.html

4. Harris Bipod 9-13", http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/produ...FQaEnQodBl8AAw

5. Bell Carlson Taticalist style 2 Medalist, http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...al-2092/Detail

6. Barrel Upgrade. Still looking but this is got my attetion. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/762...hreaded-muzzle

7. brake for barrel. if i get number 6 on my list.--http://www.midwayusa.com/product/910504/dpms-muzzle-brake-miculek-5-8-24-thread-lr-308-steel-parkerized
    Last edited by Bowers; 10-15-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added to it.

TraverseSavage
    Know exactly what you mean...why pay extra for a stock that you will end up replacing (or wanting to) anyway. I'm sure some SPS guys love their Hogue stocks, I'm not a fan. Not here to bash the 700 stock really or go on a post-stealing rant but I also held that Remington at Gander Mountain and thought it should be better quality, the stock that is. Slight pressure on the forearm touched the barrel like the material was rubber or something pliable like those circa 1980's unbreakable pocket combs.

Wished I would've seen this thread a while back....I also looked at the PC, a Tikka (which I already own one), and that Ruger Scout. Ended up with the Savage Hog Hunter. I too am changing the stock, to this: http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-....-Package.html which has the CDI DBM as well. $475 is a lot of $$ but added to $414 to what I paid for a .308 Hog ain't too bad. Only thing is for me I would have not opted for the threaded barrel as I don't have a use for it.

I added the CDW 0 MOA and changed the iron sights for about $60. Irons were what I wanted though and that saved me $$ 'cause I didn't have to drill and tap for them. Gonna install an SWFA 10x Super Sniper and I should be done...as far as the wife knows anyway

Sounds like what you got is what you were shopping for and it will do what you want it to do. I was thinking the same way, like buying a house with a good foundation but needs a new roof.

snakedoc257
    Savages are great rifles to build on. I was looking for a good starting point for a .308 too. I went with the model 11 Hog Hunter and I'm pleased. Got a semi heavy barrel, tactical bolt, and threaded muzzle. All I got to do is change the stock out.

i think im going to put a simmons 6.5-20x50 with mil dot and ao on it for now they are on sale at optics planet with a 20 dollar rebate after. later im going to get the millet trs on it. funds getting low.

Ok guys, I bought the simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20x55 mm with mil-dot scope. I had to upgrade to leupold base's and got a set of leupold offset rings also, the stock base and rings on it where hitting the bell on my scope. so it had to remove them. I should have waited and got the 1 piece rail but i was impatient and got the leupolds. I had them mounted and bore sighted at the gun shop for free after purchase.

I done my initial break in with winchester 150 and 180 grains, and at first wanst thrilled with the results. I was shooting about a 2-3 moa at 100 yards was pretty windy though. I thought something was wrong. So a few days later i went and bought 100 rounds of Federal 150 gr soft points at wall mart, a set of shooting bags, and also set my accutrigger to the lowest setting. I went out today and shot some more, And was i impressed. my groups where greatly better, after tweaking my scope and cleaning my rifle again i was able to put 5 rounds in less than 1 inch, 3 shots makeing 1 hole and 2 slightly lower. I waited and let my barrel cool some while i was dancing around and sending pics of it to my friends. I was then able to put 3 rounds in 3 different bulls eyes. I cant believe how this thing shoots now, And i beleive it will only get better with more practice and especially after the upgrades, but if im doing this good for now, I will hold on later for the barrel and stock, or at least after deer season. Now i got to go to my dads property and take adavantage of his 700 yard long field. Lucky me.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Bowers; 11-04-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: added pic

TraverseSavage
    Ok guys, I bought the simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20x55 mm with mil-dot scope. I had to upgrade to leupold base's and got a set of leupold offset rings also, the stock base and rings on it where hitting the bell on my scope. so it had to remove them. I should have waited and got the 1 piece rail but i was impatient and got the leupolds. I had them mounted and bore sighted at the gun shop for free after purchase.

I done my initial break in with winchester 150 and 180 grains, and at first wanst thrilled with the results. I was shooting about a 2-3 moa at 100 yards was pretty windy though. I thought something was wrong. So a few days later i went and bought 100 rounds of Federal 150 gr soft points at wall mart, a set of shooting bags, and also set my accutrigger to the lowest setting. I went out today and shot some more, And was i impressed. my groups where greatly better, after tweaking my scope and cleaning my rifle again i was able to put 5 rounds in less than 1 inch, 3 shots makeing 1 hole and 2 slightly lower. I waited and let my barrel cool some while i was dancing around and sending pics of it to my friends. I was then able to put 3 rounds in 3 different bulls eyes. I cant believe how this thing shoots now, And i beleive it will only get better with more practice and especially after the upgrades, but if im doing this good for now, I will hold on later for the barrel and stock, or at least after deer season. Now i got to go to my dads property and take adavantage of his 700 yard long field. Lucky me.

[IMG][/IMG]
    what do you think made the difference in accuracy results? many variables you changed, bags, ammo, cleaning, etc. just curious

sandbags mainly. the trigger adjustmemt helped alot. and controlling myself during my trigger pull. also the gun really likes the federal ammo.
    Last edited by Bowers; 11-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Here is a better pic of the gun with the scope and rings. It's not exactly pretty, but man does it shoot. I am really itching to put a 1 piece rail on it later though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is one of the targets i was shooting when sighting it in at 100 yards.

thomae
    If you are shooting well with the bases you have, and the scope is adjusted for your position and eye relief, no need to spring for a one piece base.

Unless its simply because you want one.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    If you are shooting well with the bases you have, and the scope is adjusted for your position and eye relief, no need to spring for a one piece base.

Unless its simply because you want one.

True, Its just that offset rear ring and base keeps drawing my attention in a bad way. But it serves its purpose great and doesnt get int the way. May swap them when i get another savage 110 in 30-06.

Got a slightly used Harris Bipod Ultralight on ebay for $45. really looks good on the gun. Pics comeing later.

model 16 that was on an accustock with bolt release in trigger guard. $221 from midway

So here it is with the Harris Ultralight bipod.

and my boxer kojak.

hey guys i noticed a small problem a few months ago while removing my stock. i removed it and put back together, i cycled my action and noticd the bolt in the action was hitting the stock screw. i dnt beleive i over tightend or got a screw in wrong positioned. i backed it out a bit and double checked everything. it shot good when fired, has this happend to any1 else or what. i beleive with it not snug it will play and reduce accuracy. i have not had time to inspect it more, but deer season is sneaking up and i will be target practicing soon and dnt want to chance anything.

thomae
    Not trying to be snarky, but frankly, it matters not what you "believe."
    You either tightened it more than it had been, or perhaps there was a washer that fell out and got lost.
    If you swapped the two bolts, you wouldn't be the first person to have made that mistake either. (but usually the rear bolt won't even contact the receiver through the front hole (or is it the other way around...I'm not near a disassembled rifle as I type.))
    If the actions screws are, in fact in the correct holes, you should either shorten the bolt or use a washer/spacer to functionally get the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Not trying to be snarky, but frankly, it matters not what you "believe."
    You either tightened it more than it had been, or perhaps there was a washer that fell out and got lost.
    If you swapped the two bolts, you wouldn't be the first person to have made that mistake either. (but usually the rear bolt won't even contact the receiver through the front hole (or is it the other way around...I'm not near a disassembled rifle as I type.))
    If the actions screws are, in fact in the correct holes, you should either shorten the bolt or use a washer/spacer to functionally get the same effect.

i thought about the possibility of a missing washer. i will get a blown up scale diagram and check everything again when i get off work. its got to be something simple or a defect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast