Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 Build, help me get started the right way.

Savage 10 Build, help me get started the right way.

I am wanting a savage 10 .308. I almost bought the Precision Carbine for $540 used, but thought it was ugly, well at least the stock.
    I am wanting a real accurate 300-500 yard gun, sub moa at 100 yds, for recreational shooting and hunting. Shooting any farther would be just for fun to see if i could do it.

So here is what im thinking, Maybe a Savage 10 .308 with heavy barrel preferably the 20" like the PC model. I want it to be magazine feed, no hight capacity, just 5 will do, I absolutly love the looks of the Bell and Carlson A-2medallist stock, so that is what i want. I would like to keep the accutrigger, i found that i like them. As far as the scope, I just dont know yet. and i will get the harris bipod.

I know what i want, but i dont know how to go about doing all this the best way, and the other things that need to be done that im forgeting. and this is where you guys come in to help me. Thank you guys.

This is about what im looking to do.

[IMG]me want 2[/IMG]

[IMG]me want[/IMG]

M.O.A.
    Well sense you want to change the stock any ways just get the precision carbine and then get the stock you want

1ShotKing
    If you get the precision carbine you will have the accustock to deal with. Not many aftermarket companies have stocks that will work on the accustock models, since they have the bolt release in the trigger guard. I would suggest picking up a used Stevens 200 and build on that.

M.O.A.
    Oh I forgot about that sorry

These pics are what i want my project to look like when im done.

work.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Bowers; 10-03-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: to be more uderstanding

I will check into the stevens 200, are they a accurate gun to build.

1ShotKing
    They are exactly the same as the model 10, except for the bolt has "Stevens" on it instead of "Savage". You can get the same aftermarket parts from a model 10 and customize however you want. It is a fairly popular way to go because you can get the rifles fairly cheap then build on it as time and funds allow.

1ShotKing

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    They are exactly the same as the model 10, except for the bolt has "Stevens" on it instead of "Savage". You can get the same aftermarket parts from a model 10 and customize however you want. It is a fairly popular way to go because you can get the rifles fairly cheap then build on it as time and funds allow.

1ShotKing
    it has no accu-trigger
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

1ShotKing
    I am very aware of that given the fact I am the proud owner of one. However given his requirements there aren't many other options that are a direct fit either. And I am sure most will agree a good trigger of the standard type can be much better than the accu trigger. If it were me I'd go for the FCP McMillan or HS Precision model. Not the stock you necessarily want but similar and give you the accu trigger along with detachable mag and bolt release on the receiver so you can swap it out for other stocks.

1ShotKing

irondog54
    Just something to think about... I have a 10 Predator Max in .243. With a few ammunition decisions, and careful handloading it shoots into 1/4 inch all day long. If you are into projects, fine. But you don't HAVE TO to get accuracy from a Savage or Stevens. My 2 cents...

Basic Member
    1shot i wasn't trying to be short i was just posting from my phone and i hate those itty-bitty-keys.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I researched the Stevens 200 in .308. Alot of people love them, but from what i have seen they dont come with the accutrigger or a heavy barrel, That dont seem bad considering the price is alot cheaper, and i could upgrade later with time. So if i go this route, i would need an after market heavy barrel "up for suggestion on what kind", I hope the Bell and Carlson a2 stock would be a direct fit for this. And i would last need and aftermarket trigger, or trigger job, been hearing that timmney is a good way to go.
    I dont have a clue on how much the extra these will cost total, and the cost of haveing a gunsmith to do the barrel swap. What kind of accuracy do you guys think i would get out of a setup like this? considering i do my part. Oh will the heavy barrel free float on the original stock. or is the B&C going to be needed at the same time of the chang over. Thanks guys.

I looked on the StockysStocks website, and came up with 2 options on the short action stlyes the 4.27 & the 4.40. I dont have a clue what that means either. I can get the B&C style 2 medalist stock if i go with a heavy varmit barrel, but cant if i keep the sporter barrel. So i guess im getting a heavy one for certain now.

I also just might be able to do the barrel swap myself, considering I am a maintenance tech and got a whole maintenance shop at my disposal. I might as well become a paid member and read the extra stuff.

M.O.A.
    Here it doesn't take a smith to put a savage barrel on

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/631...tainless-steel

And the trigger you can do to

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/223...2-to-4-lb-blue

You should get good accuracy out of the Stevens and even better out of a built stevens
    Last edited by M.O.A.; 10-03-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Basic Member
    If you like the accutrigger, look for a simple savage 10, then swap out the barrel and stock.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

1ShotKing
    Yeah you could go the used route and pick up a .308 with the accu trigger. Make sure it has the bolt release up on the side of the receiver though. Otherwise like I previously stated you will not have many stock options.

A built Savage/Stevens with a stock such as the A2 Medalist, with a aftermarket barrel is generally a 0.5 moa gun, all other factors in check (good rest, shooter, ammo, optics etc.)

1ShotKing

Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotKing View Post
    Yeah you could go the used route and pick up a .308 with the accu trigger. Make sure it has the bolt release up on the side of the receiver though. Otherwise like I previously stated you will not have many stock options.

A built Savage/Stevens with a stock such as the A2 Medalist, with a aftermarket barrel is generally a 0.5 moa gun, all other factors in check (good rest, shooter, ammo, optics etc.)

1ShotKing

I have heard that the centerline stack is harder to find a stock for than the stagger stack. I think i know what your are taling about the bolt release being on the side, a recent 110 in 30-06 was like that.

I have looked up er shaw barrels, from what i have read they are good but are on backorder for a while. I am thinking a 22" with a 1 in 10 twist.

I have a kinda retarded question. I know that a sporter barrel is stock/slim barrel, but what is the difference between a bull barrel and a varmint barrel, is the varming a little bigger/heavier and more accurate than the bull?

Werewolf
    A bull barrel has no taper, pretty much a straight tube from reciever to muzzle. A varmint barrel is heavy but still has a taper, and you can get a light or heavy varmint to suit your taste.

Savage Sporter SS 1.062" .585" 22" 3 lbs
    Savage Magnum SM 1.062" .685" 26" 3 1/2 lbs
    Savage Varmint SV 1.062" .800" 26" 4 lbs
    Savage Bull SB 1.062" 1.00" 26" 6 lbs

From Mcgowen contouring page:
    contour name, shank diameter, muzzle diameter, max length, weight
    Last edited by Werewolf; 10-06-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    A bull barrel has no taper, pretty much a straight tube from reciever to muzzle. A varmint barrel is heavy but still has a taper, and you can get a light or heavy varmint to suit your taste.

Savage Sporter SS 1.062" .585" 22" 3 lbs
    Savage Magnum SM 1.062" .685" 26" 3 1/2 lbs
    Savage Varmint SV 1.062" .800" 26" 4 lbs
    Savage Bull SB 1.062" 1.00" 26" 6 lbs

From Mcgowen contouring page:
    contour name, shank diameter, muzzle diameter, max length, weight

ok. so i probably go varmint. unless i find a bull for a good pirce.

Ok, guys I mave have found a deal, i just dont know yet, Here is what the add for the gun says.

"i have a savage 243 model 10 it does have accu trigger,nice gun comes with sling hardcase and has a nikon 3x9x40 prostaff only thing wrong with gun is that it has a chunk tore out of recoil pad on one side doesnt effect anything looking to trade for a 270 or 300 in savage,ruger or remington 700 or trade for glock or xd,xdm or m&p let me know what you got respond on here" He is asking 300 without the scope, 400 with the scope.

A .243 is not the caliber im looking to get, but from what i have read that since im going to be buying a bull or varmint barrel any way. I can order the Heavy or varmint barrel in .308 and be shooting this gun in the process. and just change it later when i get my other stuff. I have never shot a .243 but why not try it out untill then.

M.O.A.
    Well yap the case head is the same so it as easy as switching the barrel and stock already has a good trigger so it easy as can be ;-)

M.O.A.
    Well yap the case head is the same so it as easy as switching the barrel and stock already has a good trigger so it easy as can be ;-)

P.S The 243 is a great round for what you want to do even has less drop at the ranges you wanting to shout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast