Thread: 338 Lapua or 300 Win Mag to 7mm Rem Mag conversion

glennjames

338 Lapua or 300 Win Mag to 7mm Rem Mag conversion

I am looking to build a 7mm Mag to shoot 1000-1200 yds but would also like to have the opportunity if the need arises (and we all know it will) to be able to push out a little further. Can I take the savage 338 lapua or 300 win mag and swap barrels and bolt face and achieve my goal?

Thanks in advance
    New member here and I did a search but did not find exactly what I was looking for. I saw where there were some trying to go from 7mm Mag to 338LM, but I personally would not want to go smaller to bigger caliber.

A 300wm should have the same bolt face as a 7mm rem mag, if I'm not mistaken. So you could just swap barrels and not change the bolt head. And if you want closer to the lapua you could do a 338 edge and still not change the bolt head, just the barrel. But unless you buy a dedicated 338 lapua action, it will be a single shot with either an edge or lapua, without some machining and most guys here won't recommend a lapua on a standard action.

lrshooting
    I wouldn't stick the lapua on anythng other than a magnum or specifically designed action for the 338...Then again, it looks like you were saying swapping barrels from a 338 down to a 7mm remmy so I dont see why not. You would have to find a bolt head for it though...

Basic Member
    Are you specifically wanting both a 7mm and a larger caliber? If not, you might be best served by looking at the 300WM with a 208gr bullet. It will get you well beyond 1000.

Start with the 300WM, and all you'll need is a barrel and headspace gauges for belted magnums. Very simple.
    Start with the 338LM and you'll need a barrel and bolt face, extractor, ejector, springs, pin, and ball. Add a set of headspace gauges for each and you'd be set providing the 7/300 will stay in the 338 magazine without issue.
    Its not hard to figure out which route would be the easiest.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

glennjames
    Well here is what has transpired. I actually found a used Savage 110 7mm mag that I am going to use as the donor action and bolt. I am going to sell the barrel if at all possible (or just put it in the corner) and get a new stock, rail and 26-28 in. barrel. Work up a load with Hornady 162 gr a-max and see what happens. Any recommendations on load data for this rig? I actually have some Retumbo on hand. What brass to buy? Last question i promise.
    Does anybody know what brass does Black Hills use in their 7mm Rem Mag Black Hills Gold 162gr. A-Max Polymer Tip Ammo?
    Thanks for all the replies and help!!
    You gentlemen are GREAT!!

Basic Member
    Lapua brass if you can find it, followed by Remington/Norma/etc. .300 wm is about the smallest I would try to use with Retumbo, it's a realllyyyyy slow burning powder and was really meant for the big big calibers. It will work but I'd be willing to be that you'd be much better suited with H-1000, RL-22, 25, etc.

As a parting note, please do NOT try to shoehorn a .338 into that action, it is not going to end well. I would, however, recommend necking down a 300 win mag to accept a 7mm projectile, because that will get you out well beyond 1,500 yards if/when the need arises.

good luck.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]