Thread: 600yd spotter, thought I would post

600yd spotter, thought I would post a picture

We practiced last Thursday, I had a clean target all to myself, spotter and all. I shot 40 rounds then it was my turn to pull. I checked out my target and replaced the spotter. I felt pretty good about it. Note two holes were covered up, I guess they figured out it was going to be a lost cause!

308, 600yds, windy day, mirage very bad, 3" spotter

Last edited by Dennis; 10-01-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Trent, we have them, and I have tried them. Two reasons, my eyesight, and the mirage in the middle of a sugar cane field makes it hard to see the 3" marker let alone a 1" marker. On a clear day, I am sure I will try them as they will improve your shooting.

Spotter flying can get very dangerous, and we have many that hit them all the time.

M.O.A.
    So that a 3" circle right? ?? If so that's some fine shooting son ;-)

So that a 3" circle right? ?? If so that's some fine shooting son ;-)
    3" at 600 yards, with a 308

pitsnipe
    NICE!!! So, it looks like it stayed in the "X" ring for quite a while!!! Now for ME one of these days and with enough PRACTICE....................................

The practice before last, out of 60 rounds sent downrange, 30 (50%) were in the 10 ring or X ring. I have a good rifle, a good bullet and load. Hard to get a 308 maintain a SD of 10, almost perfect at 2,700fps. I am making sure I am mentally ready for this weekend. 120 shots for record!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The practice before last, out of 60 rounds sent downrange, 30 (50%) were in the 10 ring or X ring. I have a good rifle, a good bullet and load. Hard to get a 308 maintain a SD of 10, almost perfect at 2,700fps. I am making sure I am mentally ready for this weekend. 120 shots for record!

Are you shooting in Palo Alto? If so, I hope to make it down there to observe the shooting (conflict between squirrel hunting and target shooting ). Perhaps I will meet you.

I've been wanting to do some target shooting for a LONG time but due to the type of work I was doing, I couldn't. That's kinda changed now.

Yes, shooting at Palo Alto, it's very nice.

dfwbob
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Good luck this weekend. That is some fine shooting you are doing.

What are the specs on your rifle?

SSS Savage PTA action T&T'd by Fred with his evolution trigger set at 4oz's. McGowan 28" heavy target stainless barrel, 10 twist. SSS heavy bench rest stock. NF BR 12x42 NP2 DD reticle. 17.? lbs loaded and ready to shoot. I know I am not over 18lbs.

It's shooting better than I can shoot it.

Basic Member
    How did you do in the State Match last week Dennis?

I held my own Saturday, Sunday the front came in and it messed me up bad! We had people from 5 states and they are great shooters, considering the company I was in, I wasn't totally bummed out! First time in a long time I did not place.

I am trying to decide if I want to shoot the MS match this weekend! I'm thinking.