Thread: No parallax adjustment?

Basic Member

No parallax adjustment?

Why is it that on some 4-12x model scopes ie. the lower end Leupolds and some others that they offer 4-12's without any kind of parallax adjustment? I've always heard that any riflescope with more than 10x magnification needs to have parallax adjustment.

Re: No parallax adjustment?

First, paralax cost more money,

Second, I can't use a scope unless it has a Paralax and AO adjustment!!!!!!!!

I tried and couldn't do it, Went to a Nightforce, Sawarvoski, and Zeiss, all are great scopes and I can see perfect out of them!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

I don't own one but was just wandering. I prefer it if it's more than 10x. All of my high mag. scopes have parallax adjustment. It seems like it would be about impossible without it.

Get a Zeiss, it's about the best for the $$$$$, make sure it has a paralax and AO adjustment. The 4.5 x 14 x50MC is one of the best hunting scopes around.

Or go for the gusto, Swarovski, Nightforce, or a Schmidt&Bender (the best)!

Don - LongRangeSupply

focus / parallax

All scopes will have parallax issues regardless of the power level whenever the target is at a distance closer or further away than the distance the parallax is set for be that manually adjusted or fixed factory distance.

It is just more obvious with the higher powers because the target image focus shift is more pronounced along with the amount of parallax (two different things but related to each other). You don't notice the parallax or the target focus at 4x as readily as at 14x but they there none the less. At 3x for example the target image may appear in focus, but that doesn't mean there is no parallax.

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

http://www.larrywillis.com/tip015.html

Basic Member

"All scopes will have parallax issues regardless of the power level whenever the target is at a distance closer or further away than the distance the parallax is set for be that manually adjusted or fixed factory distance.

It is just more obvious with the higher powers because the target image focus shift is more pronounced along with the amount of parallax (two different things but related to each other). You don't notice the parallax or the target focus at 4x as readily as at 14x but they there none the less. At 3x for example the target image may appear in focus, but that doesn't mean there is no parallax."

Yeah you're right, I know which is why I said that scopes of 10x or more really need it and I didn't understand why some 12x models didn't have it.

"Get a Zeiss, it's about the best for the $$$$$, make sure it has a paralax and AO adjustment. The 4.5 x 14 x50MC is one of the best hunting scopes around.

Or go for the gusto, Swarovski, Nightforce, or a Schmidt&Bender (the best)!"

Thanks for the advice Dennis but I wasn't asking for a brand recommendation I was only asking why some models didn't have the parallax when they had a mag power greater than 10.

efm, I have owned about every scope out there except the Schmidt&Bender.

I personally make sure my scope all have an AO adjustment as my eyes are not what they use to be! I have bought scopes without the AO and sold them about about as fast as I got them. Some people love them, but again my eyes won't handle them.

My Swarovski and Night Force works perfectly for me at 600yds.

Again "MY OPINION", paralax is useless without AO, maybe it's just my eyes, everyone is different.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by efm77
    .....I was only asking why some models didn't have the parallax when they had a mag power greater than 10.
    As noted above it is a cost issue, and also size / weight. Adding an Adjustable Objective or Side Focus (both are Parallax adjustments, they just work differently)

Costs more to add an AO, even more to add a side focus, they usually mean a heavier bulkier scope so some makers will not install the AO or Side Focus to make the scope more compact / lighter and / or to reduce cost.

Personally I like it on anything over about 6x but they usually don't add it until they hit 10x or higher.

If you don't have an AO or Side Focus, you can reduce / eliminate parallax induced error by centering your eye in the scope as explained in the links above. The easiest way to do that is to pull your eye back from the scope until you start to get tunnel vision then center that floating image in the scope. That doesn't change the target FOCUS but it does get rid of sighting error caused by parallax.

Eric in NC

you also don't need it if you are shooting at the distance a non-adjustable scope is set for. i.e. if the scope is set for 100 yards and you shoot 100 yard comp only- no probs.

Don - LongRangeSupply

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    you also don't need it if you are shooting at the distance a non-adjustable scope is set for. i.e. if the scope is set for 100 yards and you shoot 100 yard comp only- no probs.
    True.....

Unfortunately most fixed focus hunting scopes are set at 150 yards and most people shoot their test loads at 100.

Basic Member

Thanks. I thought cost probably had something to do with it. I do know what parallax is and understand how it works, which is why I won't have a scope with over 10x without it. Most powers under that doesn't affect me, but anything over that I won't have without a parallax adjustment. Parallax becomes more evident the higher the power goes so that's why it doesn't make sense to me that they don't put it on a 12x scope (some models). Even thought it's more expensive to do, to me it needs it when the power is that high or higher.

bpratl

I just received a Mueller 8-32 x 44 target scope which does not have an AO for parallax correction but; has it on the side and is marked 10-1000 yards. I sort of paniced until I realized it was Incorporated with the side focus. I have not yet had a chance to test it.

Basic Member

Yeah the side parallax adjustment does the same thing as the AO, it's just in a different location that makes it easier to reach.