Thread: Steel cased ammo

1ShotKing

Steel cased ammo

Does anyone have any experience using steel cased ammo in a Savage? The reason I am asking is I'm looking at another Savage, particularly the 10 FCP-K in 223, and would like to be able to use the 75 grain steel match Hornady ammo. This would allow me to do more shooting for less money, and the 75 grain BTHP should be decent at longer ranges, looking at 4-600 yards. I don't reload yet and won't have much time to do so in the near future. Thanks for the help,

1ShotKing

I have 1,000 rounds of the Hornady Steel Match ammo sitting here for my AR-15 - both 75gr and 52gr - but I don't have a Savage in .223 to try it in. I wouldn't worry about running the steel cases as they shouldn't hurt anything. Only question is whether the 1-9 twist Savage barrel will stabilize the 75gr BTHP bullet.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

1ShotKing
    I initially had the same concern. However I read product reviews on the net and seen that most everyone can get the 75 grain BTHP to stabilize in their 223 with a 1 in 9 twist, whereas the 75 grain A-Max seems to be hit or miss since their ballistic coefficients are so different (.395 vs .435 respectively). Hopefully someone else here chimes in with some experience.

1ShotKing

acemisser
    I never tried any thing over 69 grain in my 1 in 9 Never cared for the steel
    case ammo as I have seen it stick in the chamber of some rifle.Therefor I shy
    away from that stuff...It may be better stuff now.I have no idea..

1ShotKing
    Another thing to bear in mind is a lot of people use steel surplus ammunition in their AR/AK. From my understanding it is not of the quality as the Hornady Steel Match.

1ShotKing

Steel cased ammo

Hornady 75gr Steel Match shot very well out of my 26" 1:9 12FV barrel...use with confidence!

M.O.A.
    Ya the hornaday steel match ammo is in no way in the same class as the mil surplus stuff

rusty815
    Steel ammo is fine in bolt actions, its only a problem in semi autos because going from steel to brass can cause extraction issues, but thats not really a concern on a bolt action.