Thread: fail to fire round

fail to fire round

what to do with a round that failed to fire ?
    safe to unload ?
    or just toss it ?
    300WM
    1st one I ever had that didnt go off
    good primer strike
    possible bad primer ?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Have you tried to fire it a 2nd time?

Or...

Pull it apart & recycle the parts, pitch the powder & cap...

be careful, too.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I would just break it down and reuse everything, except the primer of course. Usually with unfired primers I remove them hydraulically.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Basic Member
    I use pliers to pull the bullet as i don't have a collet type bullet puller then i reuse the brass. I will reuse the bullet for a fouler if it shows no marks from the pliers. To remove the primer i just run them thru my decapper die. I don't use the hammer type puller so there is no sudden shock to the primer. Safety first on a struck primer.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

It scares the hell out of me to use a decapping pin on a once struck or unfired primer. Water works wonders for taking all the risk out of decapping.

it's just one, chuck it!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brtelec View Post
    It scares the hell out of me to use a decapping pin on a once struck or unfired primer. Water works wonders for taking all the risk out of decapping.
    Had to test this out before i replied. I used a wolf large magnum and a Remington 9 1/2 primer for this test. loaded the wolf primer in a piece of brass then filled it up with water and allowed it to sit for 6 minutes. At the same time i put the Remington primer in a bottle cap and filled the cap with water completely covering it anvil up to ensure no air pocket was protecting the primer compound. After 6 minutes i emptied the water out of the brass and shook it out then fired it. Surprise, surprise, surprise the primer fired. Then removed the primer and took the one covered with water (9 minutes under water) and put in the same brass and .......wait for it............BANG it also went off. I don't know how long it would take for water to kill a primer but it is by no means put water on it and it is dead. Now removing them hydraulically may be a way to remove them but they could still go off. Depending on how you do it the sudden impact of the water could and i say COULD cause the primer to go off. That said i don't know of any way to remove a primer that has not fired and say there is no way for it to go off, just that slow and easy is safer than fast and hard. So water does not take all the risk out.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I do not soak them. I fill the case with water and position the case with the primer over a hole in my bench block. Then I take a dowel that just fits the case mouth and put it in it. I wrap the case mouth with a towel to keep mess to a minimum and give the dowel a rap with a hammer. Out pops the primer.

Basic Member
    if it doesn't fire the first time i give it a second try and wait about 1 minute before extracting the round(just in case of delayed ignition). when i get home i pull the bullet for future sight-ins and dump the powder and primer. that's my method!

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    I use pliers to pull the bullet as i don't have a collet type bullet puller then i reuse the brass. I will reuse the bullet for a fouler if it shows no marks from the pliers. To remove the primer i just run them thru my decapper die. I don't use the hammer type puller so there is no sudden shock to the primer. Safety first on a struck primer.
    Don't throw out the bullet-even if it has marks save it and shoot it later...save the powder as well as the case...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    it's just one, chuck it!
    +1. Not worth the time and effort

I struck primer twice -
    I only have a kinetic type puller
    all the components are less than a buck
    its gone