Thread: Savage barrel, which caliber barrel is worth the most in resale

brasse

Savage barrel, which caliber barrel is worth the most in resale

I am looking at building a 6.8 SPC Savage on a new Savage 11 gun. Looks like the prices for a Trophy Hunter are the same whether 223 of 333 Win Mag.

Are the barrels with threaded tips worth more?

Which caliber is more resaleable?

Just my guess a 6.5 Creedmore or 338 Win Mag should bring more than a 223 Rem???

In what order would the barrels be worth??

Thank you

M.O.A.
    Between Cal's. There worth the same the ones with the threaded ends maybe a little more.

kevin_stevens
    You know - this is the first thread I've ever seen on the Internet where "Is it worth...?" made any sense. Usually it's a request for opinion on some totally subjective matter. Your question has a straightforward answer, at least. I just don't know it. :)

KeS

As far as value goes the resalve values on factory barrels is pretty consistent no matter what the caliber. However, the demain for different calibers varies greatly and of the two listed the .223 would probably sell a lot faster due to the fact more people can/will have use for it. Regarding the threaded for suppressor aspect, personally I wouldn't see that as adding any value as I don't own a suppressor and probably never will.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

nsaqam
    A threaded muzzle is a sure fire no go for me.

Same thing with a brake.

brasse
    Sorry I never mentioned suppressors. The threading is for muzzle brakes, or compensators to reduce muzzle climb or to reduce recoil. I want one that will reduce recoil when I purchase a 6.8 barrel.

I normally can't shoot a 308 due to the bad shoulder. Guy at gun range was telling me his Savage 10 xxx in 308 with muzzle brake was easy on the shoulder and let me shoot it.
    I was amazed between the shoulder pad and the recoil device it did not kick much at all. I probably could have shot 20 to 40 rounds without shoulder issues with that gun.

I normally shoot about 50 to 100 rounds of 223 or 6.8 SPC when at the range, at east twice a week if I can. I am trying to learn to shoot rifles, I was never any good before with the bad shoulder, right handed at left eye dominant, two broken elbows etc etc. I am learning to correct for the wind, learning trigger control and practice practice every trip to the range. Before May I had never shot under a MOA at 100 yards before, now I am shooting under 1 MOA with both my 223 wylde AR 15 upper and with my 6.8 SPC II upper at 200 yards. The 6.8 is not complete yet, shooting with an A2 buttstock and a cheap carrier, a Tubbs 4 way adjustable butt stock with Limbsaver will help me a lot. And right now I am using a polymer AR lower with a cheap trigger group. Eventually I will get another Geiselle SSA trigger and the 200 yard group should get better.

My 6.8 with 20 inch barrel weighs 7.8 pounds and another 2 pounds with scope. It would be great for hogs and whitetail deer, but I am looking for the Savage in 6.8 to come in at under 7 pounds and another 16 ounces with scope and rings. With a fluted 16 inch barrel and fluted bolt might get the gun to come in at 6 pounds. Say 7 with scope; would be a good deer rifle out to 300 yards.

LabRat2k3
    What nsaqam? This is the first any of us have heard of you not liking heavy, or threaded barrels.

nsaqam
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat2k3 View Post
    What nsaqam? This is the first any of us have heard of you not liking heavy, or threaded barrels.
    You're a funny guy now huh?

LabRat2k3
    "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to #@*!*% amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat2k3 View Post
    "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to #@*!*% amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"
    Ha! Only one person who could have said that. I can even hear his voice in my head saying it. I had to look up the movie, however.
    Nice quote.
    Last edited by thomae; 10-01-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: stoopid spellink misteaks