Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best recoil pad

best recoil pad

I have a 111 3006 syn. stock with flat rear receiver. I need a new recoil pad. The factory pad is rock hard and its not much fun to shoot. Looking for a soft aftermarket pad that will fit without sanding or cutting it to fit.

thanks for your help.

brasse
    Ruger has a model with a pad that reduces recoil by 45%, think it was on a lightweight hunter, not sure. But I am going to find it as I need a recoil pad due to my bad shoulder.

davemuzz
    Limbsaver recoil pads have been the best $35 I've ever spent on hard kicking rifles. If you go to the Limbsaver web site, you can find a file and print out a list of recoil pads and then see which one(s) will best match your rifle butt. Then you can also call Limbsaver and tell them which recoil pad you bought and they will send you a "carve to match" insert that will allow you to blend your stock to the Limbsaver recoil pad. The insert is free...and I think the last one they sent it to me for free.

I'm a real Limbsaver fan. I put one on the crap Stevens stock that I bot in .308. I could sit at the range and shoot an easy 30 or more rounds with no shoulder pain or bruising. And you know how light those Stevens are.

There are a lot of choices out there. The factory pads are not very good and are very thin. I found a good deal on a Pachmayr Decelerator pad, what are some thoughts on this pad?

ellobo
    Go with the Limbsaver. the Pachmeyer wont alleviate your pain as much as you may think.

ellobo

davemuzz
    Trent,

If you go to the Limbsaver web site at this page: http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/images...cision-fit.jpg and look at the picture at the right where it says "Adapter if applicable", that's the small piece that when I called Limbsaver about installing one of their "Precision Fit" recoil pads on my Stevens, the fellow said he would send me one of these "adapters". These adapters are about 3/8" thick and are easy to shape with a fine file. So you can shape anything that "sticks out" from your stock to your recoil pad....and it looks like a professional did it. Easy to work with and easy to do.

Dave

What about their slip on recoil pads, are they any good?

+1 for the LimbSaver pads, with the Pachmeyer Decelerator a distant second.

If you have a benchtop belt sander (not a hand-held) I'd suggest getting a grind-to-fit rather than a Precision Fit. Reason being is that in my experience the Precision Fit's never really match up perfectly. If you do get a grind-to-fit (LimbSaver or Decelerator), throw it in the freezer overnight then install and grind it down before it thaws. This makes it much, much easier to grind down the softer compound.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by tjf76 View Post
    I've never used 'em. I'm sure they work just like all the other Limbssavers...it's just that they look ugly as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf76 View Post
    I like em and you can switch em from one rifle to the next. I have several and they work well from the bench but will increase the legnth of pull some. This is most pronounced when hunting in the winter with a bunch of clothes on. Not really a problem just slip it off. I have a couple of different ones and the beartooth slip on pad is one of my favorites. It is a neoprene sleve that comes with different spacers in it. The best part of a slip on is no modification is necessary.
    Best is subjective to how you weigh looks VS no mods. I woud say performance is about equal.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 09-30-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I like em and you can switch em from one rifle to the next. I have several and they work well from the bench but will increase the legnth of pull some. This is most pronounced when hunting in the winter with a bunch of clothes on. Not really a problem just slip it off. I have a couple of different ones and the beartooth slip on pad is one of my favorites. It is a neoprene sleve that comes with different spacers in it. The best part of a slip on is no modification is necessary.
    Best is subjective to how you weigh looks VS no mods. I woud say performance is about equal.
    Thanks for the info.

I dont care much about looks as long as its does what it needs to do. My rifles are tools, no show pieces here. might just by a grind to fit, printed out the templates for the limbsaver website and not even 1 was close to what I need.
    Last edited by tjf76; 09-30-2012 at 11:30 AM.

I never thought of that! I will check and see.

Thanks for the pointer Trent.

brasse
    I have a VERY BAD shoulder, need the best possible buttpad. I have been thinking for a long time about cutting some shoe inserts made of Sorobothane."SorbothaneŽ is recognized worldwide as the ultimate material for attenuating shock, isolating vibration and damping noise. No synthetic rubber or polymer can dissipate energy as effectively. SorbothaneŽ is a highly damped, visco-elastic polymeric solid that flows like a liquid under load"

Well late last night I found a company making buttpads and inserts from Sorobothane!!!! Recoil-Pads had their Kick-Eez sorobothane pads at http://www.recoil-pads.com/servlet/StoreFront

The Kick-Eez Pre fit pad KZ-110 for Savage is 4.750 by 1.685 inches wide. They are expensive at nearly $39 (some of the Limbsavers are that much) but comes with FREE shipping. So you are not paying $10-12 for a light part for shipping.

brasse
    I looked for reviews at Google for the Kick-Eez Pre fit pads, nothing. Searched for sites selling them and Midway came up, most arround $30. The reviews are GREAT, people love the Kick-Eez pads. I am getting one for my carbine AR 15 lower, and will get one for the Tubbs buttplate when it gets here.

If these work anywhere near as good as the reviews, they are real Magnum tamers

The LimbSaver "slip on" recoil pads are still designed to replace your original pad, and depending on the shape of your stock may or may not fit tight. In other words, you have to remove your stock pad then slip on the new one and you have a 50/50 chance on whether it will stay put or not.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

I'm going to buy a trim to fit just to be safe. Thanks for all the help guys!

M.O.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    A while back I watched a bunch of old videos about Sorbothane. It's pretty neat stuff. You can find them on YouTube.
    Is that the stuff the guy puts on his hand then smacks it with a hammer and feels nothing??? If so it is pretty neat.

M.O.A.
    LOL I won that ;-)

brasse
    The only negative reviews is from perople that didn't check everything out first, just becuase it says fits Savage 16 don't mean it will fit yours. They make different ones for wood stocks and for tubbaware stocks.

First you should print out the sheets at Limbsaver http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/pdfs/t..._templates.pdf

Then take off your existing pad and see which paper template fits your rifle butt area best.

Then look at Midway Kick-Eez http://media.midwayusa.com/midwayusa...artPreFit.html

For instance my AR butt plate measures 5.025 x 1.625 inches which is really close to Kick Eez Recoil Pad Prefit KZ102 Thompson Center Black Diamond, Encore and Omega with Wood Stock Black. There are a bunch that are close too.

If you order the correct pre-fit or grind to fit you can't go wrong.

Basic Member
    I'll be the odd man out here, I guess. I don't much care for the LimbSaver on my Ruger Hawkeye (308). It was on there when I bought the gun, and it fits properly, I'm just not impressed with recoil absorption. It's as though the pad gives the gun a 'run' at you; there's little or nothing there to stop the recoiling gun until the pad is nearly collapsed. I think I may try a Kick-Eez, but otherwise I'd stick with a Decelerator.

mike14837
    I have a limbsaver on my savage 308 and love it

110bri
    I put a grind to fit Kick-eez Sorbothane recoil pad on my .270 and it is the best pad I ever used,but also the most expensive.

Basic Member
    Those who have used KICK-EEZ pads did you add the red pad too or just the pad alone? Was thinking one of the red pads would give it kind of unique appearance. But wonder if it would just create a problem loosening down the road. The 7mm rm I just got came without a pad or plate for that matter so I thought I'd give them a try. Don't mind a 30-30 or 7.62x54r without a pad but that big 7 really oughta have one.

brasse
    You should get the magnum KICK-EEZ pads

Basic Member
    Ordered the magnum KICK-EEZ pad today. Wasn't real excited about a grind to fit. But hopefully if I take my time it will fit/look and function as good or better then the prefits. I did get a set of the inserts for the slip ons. What I meant before was using one of those to make a redline between the stock and the pad. No clue how it will look or work but wanted to give it a try. Don't really have anything laying around that fit. If not ain't out much for the insert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast