Thread: New to Savages

MountainMadman

New to Savages

Howdy fellas.

I was given a Savage Mark 2 .22LR from a family member. Shoots great, very smooth, but I have an issue. It has no sling mounts. Is there a part specially for this or do I need to rig it myself?

Thanks.

jstanfield103
    First off welcome to the Forum, Mine came with scope mounts on the original and on the Boyds stock I put on it so I can't help with you're question. I would think you could just buy swivels and put them on but I don't know you're set up.
    Good Luck.

Are there holes in the stock already where the originals were removed, or was your stock never equipped with them? Swivel studs are pretty universal so you coupld probably get by just picking up a set at your local gunstore in either case, but if it already has the holes you may want to get new ones from Savage just to be on the safe side. Also, is it a wood or synthetic stock? I know on the centerfire rifles the front stud has a nut on in inside, but not sure on the synthetic rimfire stocks as I've never owned one.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

MountainMadman
    Thanks guys. Mine is the polymer stock and has no holes. Checked out some today but didnt know about drilling into the stock. It also didnt come with scope mounts. Just the dovetail railing and the iron sights. Any opinions on drilling?

MountainMadman
    I looked at a few options over the weekend as far as sling mounts. still wasn't sure about the drilling. Did pick up a 3-9x40mm scope for it. Just waiting on the 3/8" dovetail scope rings.

thomae
    Pick your location, drill through the stock, install the sling swivel stud with a threaded nut on the inside and a drop of locktite. Use a washer (often they come with either a white or a black plastic washer in the kit) to space the sling swivel high enough (and don't torque it down so much that it digs into the stock significantly - although that is usually a problem only with wood stocks). It is not hard, nor is it rocket science. If you are worried about it, have a friend with some woodworking experience help work you through it. Even easy things can seem difficult the first time.

You will do just fine.

outback andy
    Do it right and just buy a Boyds replacement stock for it, they come with the studs in it and its a good looking wood stock too....

MountainMadman
    Thanks Thomae, just wasn't sure about drilling through the polymer. I didn't want it to crack.

Andy, checked into the boyds stocks too... just didn't like the wood stock. Thanks anyways though.

MountainMadman
    I'll post a picture tomorrow. Thanks for the help fellas. Attached a UTG bipod and Uncle Mikes 1" sling stud kit. Peice of cake to do, just a pain to drill through polymer. I suggest starting with a small bit and work up. make sure you don't go too far though.