Thread: Help. Model 116 Leupold scope mount issue

gametracker

Help. Model 116 Leupold scope mount issue

I have a model 116, 7mm. And bought the Leupold VX-R scope 4-12x 50. I had Leupold bases on it already but for this scope I need them about 3/8 of an inch closer together. This scope is a 30 mm tube and shorter than most. I could not find anything on this issue. Was hoping someone else had and a fix for it.

Basically you have two options:

1. You can see if Leupold offers the same base in an extended version to close up the gap (might actually need two)

or

2. Get a Picatinney or Weaver style rail that will give you a lot more flexibility in ring placement.
    Jim B. - Site Administrator
    I run a forum - someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery already

helotaxi
    They make extended front bases for the Leupold type rings. You simply reverse the front mount. It gets the front ring over the opening in the action. That's the setup I ended up with on my old long action.

kevin_stevens
    I have the same issue mounting a VX-R 2-7x33 on a 116.

Weaver makes a Grand Slam extended front mount, and Warne has a longer one. I can post measurements tomorrow. I didn't want to go to a rail, but those would work too.

KeS

kevin_stevens
    Ok, update.

Even with the Weaver Grand Slam extended front base, I could not mount the VX-R 2-7x33 on a long action with Warne Maxima QR rings. There wasn't enough distance to get both rings to drop down in the bases. Possibly I could use the Weaver bases with narrower rings than the Maximas, but I have no interest in that approach.

Using the Warne extended front base, which has about one more "slot" worth of extension than the Weaver extended front, it works. That gives me about 1/8" adjustment range of the Leupold fore and aft - not sure yet if that will be enough, but that's a separate issue.

Note that you need to use a Warne rear base in conjunction with their front base because their bases are LOWER than Weaver Grand Slams - 6.5mm vs 9mm. The rear bases mount in substantially the same location and most of the distance gain is in the front base.

I'll post pics later. I now prefer the Maxima bases quite apart from the extension, as the lower surface doesn't interfere with the express sight view at all. The Weavers didn't either - quite - but they were definitely in the sight picture and the Warnes aren't.

KeS

Oh, to answer your original question - the Warne extended front gives you almost an inch more room than the non-extended. The Weaver is less, but still more than the 3/8" you asked for.
    Last edited by kevin_stevens; 09-27-2012 at 07:39 PM.

gametracker
    Thank for all the info. I will work on it this weekend.